Do Black Rappers Have An Advantage?

linx

Staff member
Let me start off by saying this is an argument that a friend of mine online came to me with. I just wanted to see what everyone else here thought about it. Me posting it doesn't mean I agree with it, i'm just curious to see what everyone else will say about it. I'm just gonna post what he said in the AIM conversation..

Him: I mean, think of how much of a disadvantage it is to not be able to say nigga in your songs...... cause rappers use that as fillers like mad shit yo

Him: rappers use the word nigga as filler, like alot...... alot of times it is an adjective that fits a description of someone, and like.... no other word would fit as well
Him: and a white rapper cant use it

Him: What they want from us motherfuckin thug niggaz Used to love niggaz now I plug niggaz, and slug niggaz
Him: the word niggaz is his whole rhyme
Him: what other word.... can you say in repetition like nigga, and people not call you out on it?
Him: Absolutely none other than that

Him: Also, tupac is using the word "nigga" with a negative connotation
Him: and the meaning of his lyric is clearly expressed as such
Him: no other word could be used
Him: that kept the rhyme flow
Him: but also got the msg across
Him: you couldnt say homies.....
Him: homies are friends
Him: you couldnt say people

Him: I'm showing you how it's debilitating to white rappers
Him: that they cant use the term
Him: The word nigga...... in those lines alone
Him: have like 5 diff meanings
Him: wtf other word can do that

Him: What they want from us motherfuckin thug niggaz (someone on the block, tryin to make it and earn a way for himself, take care of his momma)? Used to love niggaz(homies) now I plug niggaz(motherfuckers after the dough), and slug niggaz(see aforementioned)

Him: I'm telling you is that the word nigga..... is versitile, and is utilized in rapping today as a tool to get many different points across
Him: that word cannot be used by white rappers
Him: so it's an obvious disadvantage

Me: are you saying he should have used it less?
Him: .....no
Him: I'm saying that it makes me look at a white rapper that is successful all the more respectfully
Him: because he did it WITHOUT the advantage that word brings

Him: "picture of perfection, the object of a nigga effection"
Him: what would a white rapper have said there
Him: not alot can go there
Him: without making the line sound dumb
Him: and out of flow

Him: I'M TELLING U THAT THE WORD IS A DEFINATE ADVANTAGE IN WRITING THOUGH
Him: their whole mental has to be different
Him: has to think of diff lines without using the word

Discuss.

Mase

Black rappers have an advantage, not for the reasons your friend stated though.
Is he saying that the use of 1 word determines whether someone has success or not? That is a pretty stupid friend you have there, I don't see an advantage in using that word at all.

^^ i agree, although ther is a slight advantage, but not enough to determine success. I don giv white rappers more respect cuz he cant say nigga. I don giv a rapper respect based on color of skin, its whether or not hes good or not. If thers a white rapper who sucks (ahh cough cough eminem cough cough) i don giv him respect jus cuz he cant use one word in his music.

Its all bout the voice, if they got a squeeky ass voice like eminem, or harsh ass voice like ja rule i aint listenn to that shit, my cali rappers got that laid back voice (cept for the game ( i got repugnance for him)) and thats what it comes down to. Theres this mexicanish rapper that gots a tight ass voice (Mr. Doctor) and sicc lyrics and hes a complete tight rapper. Oh yea for the topic, black rappers seem to have the better voice, its true.

Chronic

Yes there's a very, very slight advantage but lmao at "Him: I'm saying that it makes me look at a white rapper that is successful all the more respectfully"

He respects Eminem more because he sells more despite having a very slight advantage while its obvious Eminem has sold the amount he has because he's white?

Is he desperately trying to find reasons to place white rappers over black rappers or something?

fuck, i cant be bothered readin but its depends how there promoted, but white rappers defintely have the advantage, like i seen a thread a couple of months back saying "new white rapper signed" or something, and every fucker downloaded to check him out, if it was just some black dude with the same skills he probaly wouldnt of even been checked. its like if theres a new white dude every fuckers gotta have an opinion and seeing "hating" (stupid word) is kinda outa fashion on this board people come away givin more promo to an artitst than they deserve, well thats my own twisted version of this topic...

..carry on

there is a word he can use as 'filler' and not 'nigga'
he can say:

"What they want from us motherfuckin thug wiggaz Used to love wiggaz now I plug wiggaz, and slug wiggaz"

tell ya mutherfuckin friend, he is sooooooooooooooo dump

shit, and such poeples listen 2 pac....pacs message is nothin 4 dumps

he wrote all the shit in bout 10mins

pac was a nigga, and fought against the black slavery so "nigga" is a perfect word to represent all tha blacks

tell ya friend he should learn to understand what pacs message was/is

Him: "picture of perfection, the object of a nigga effection"
Him: what would a white rapper have said there

thats not pacs problem

the dumpest shit i eva heard

man i gotta go to yoga, to clear my mind from that shit, really strange

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Chronic said:
He respects Eminem more because he sells more despite having a very slight advantage while its obvious Eminem has sold the amount he has because he's white?

That is exactly it.

It's harder for a white rapper to get credibility and break through. But it also acts as an advantage. Reaching a white audience and selling millions. Also most middleclass white parents look differently on a 6'4 big black geezer than a tiny little white boy with dyed blonde hair.

TCD

That's just dumb, it's like saying I walk with a slight limp but I can also fly.(aye it's not)

Anyway as Em said if he was black he would've sold half. And Em uses the word bitch alot.

It's easier for black rappers to come up, but once in the limelight, it's easier for non-black rappers to gain popularity (but not necessarily sell millions) because everybody makes a big deal out of it. MTV was all over Eminem when Dre signed him. BET was all over Jin when he went into the 106 and Park Freestyle Friday hall of fame, when he announced he had signed with Ruff Ryders (although this specific case is an example of popularity but no sales, since I don't even think he's released anything to date). But in addition, we must factor in talent, marketablility, image, etc.

Although the rap audience is primarily white (upwards of 70%), I think that black rappers definitely have an advantage in certain arenas, such as freestyle battles, which are usually attended by mostly black people. In such a scenario, a black rapper can pick apart a non-black rapper's race, which happens a lot if you've ever seen it, whether it's on BET's 106 and Park or just a high school battle in front of all the students. But in those scenarios, the non-black rapper can virtually NEVER pick apart the black rapper's race, since he will then be labeled a racist and probably hated on by the entire crowd. For example, in an old freestyle battle that Eminem was in before he was famous, his opponent was making remarks about him being white, and part of his response was "Don't turn this facial issue into a racial issue" rather than talking about black people. On 106 and Park, Jin would get comments about him being Asian (ESPECIALLY the second week, when the guy was saying stuff like "Ay yo, I'm mad, Free, you actin' like I ain't the one/ Why you got me battlin' Bruce Lee's grandson?/ I'm a star, he's just a rookie/ Leave rap alone and keep making fortune cookies/ I'm that guy, yo/ His mom was in Menace II Society saying "Hurry up and buy"/ I kick raps and spit fi-yah/ He just kick and be like, "hi-yahhh"/ Yo dog, I know why your eyes is chinky/ 'Cause you keep staring at my pinky"), but Jin would just make responses about the Chinese references rather than start bashing on black people. So that's an advantage in the battle arena. It sucks, but it's just the reality of the situation.

linx

Staff member
Chronic said:
Yes there's a very, very slight advantage but lmao at "Him: I'm saying that it makes me look at a white rapper that is successful all the more respectfully"

Is he desperately trying to find reasons to place white rappers over black rappers or something?
I agree, but as much as it may seem like he is trying to do that, he isn't.

DocDre said:
your friend is an undercover racist
Nah, not at all.

RoB_G said:
i aint racist or nothing cuz im white but black peeps do have a better voice when it comes to rapping
That's a very dumb thing to say.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.