Did Jimmy Iovine help remove a song from Mos Def's album?

Tito

Did he help remove 'The Rape Over' from The New Danger album? Just wondering. The explanation they give is that it contains the line "Quasi-homosexuals is runnin this rap shit" which is a piss poor excuse to remove the song. It seems like Iovine and other A&Rs took offense to the song.

Here are the lyrics

Listen
All white men is runnin this rap shit
Corporate force's runnin this rap shit
Setae israli is runnin this rap shit
We poke out the asses for a chance to cash in
Cocaine, is runnin this rap shit
'Dro, 'yac and E-pills is runnin this rap shit

The rape over, turn your face over nigga
No god in disguise it's me, game over
Hey lil souljahs you're ready for more?
But don't ask what you're fighting for
They thought that you sur--vived the gunfight, the drama, the stress
You get in the line of fire we get the big ass cheques
You gettin your choice to pimp
Make your choice and fall in
This is austral B I, take that cock in your behind, Beatch
Hit the streets and perform for us
Hold hard and bring it on to us, fucker
I let you sip, comes an army, get a Mercedes
And kick back and let you pay me, my Mack is crazy
I leave the, knife and fist fight filled with glamour
Yeah, take a picture what this platinum-plated the sledgehammer
We over-do it add the fire and explosion to it
We're so confused with one rap music

Mtv, is runnin this rap shit
Viacom is runnin this rap shit
AOL and Time Warner runnin this rap shit
We poke out the asses for a chance to cash in
Cocaine, is runnin this rap shit
Hennessey, is runnin this rap shit
Quasi-homosexuals is runnin this rap shit

Watch out we run the world

That's it

No offence, but are you dudes slow?

You know what homosexuals are, right?

You should know what 'quasi' means but I'm guessing you don't. How come nobody got confused when Shyne dropped 'Quasi OG'?

Anyways, all it means is 'almost', so if Iovine & them are 'almost homosexual' then they're either bi-sexual or have some gay tendencies.

Jimmy looks like a Homo so it probablly was his feelings that got hurt! this shit right here though is Censorship and in the interest of Protecting the Capitialist.

^
Yeah, and it does seem to be more of a show of power than anything else, because what Mos Def says is not likely to have any effect on Interscope sales.

I mean, how many part-time Hip Hop fans listen to Mos Def? Not many I think, & actual heads already know what Mos Def is saying. And even though he was experimenting on that album, he was never really going to crossover so the heads will've heard it & very few others....and guess what? Even though they got it cut, the heads - the main 'demographic' who would've heard it - heard it anyway because they copped it early or d/l it.

CalcuoCuchicheo said:
^
Yeah, and it does seem to be more of a show of power than anything else, because what Mos Def says is not likely to have any effect on Interscope sales.

I mean, how many part-time Hip Hop fans listen to Mos Def? Not many I think, & actual heads already know what Mos Def is saying. And even though he was experimenting on that album, he was never really going to crossover so the heads will've heard it & very few others....and guess what? Even though they got it cut, the heads - the main 'demographic' who would've heard it - heard it anyway because they copped it early or d/l it.
yep reminds me of a Andre3000 line

"Speeches only reaches those that already know about it"

I was listening to Imortal Tech today at work and man his shit just makes me want to fight back attack on Socity if this is violence then violent is what I gotta be. lol

Is it me or is Jimmy suddenly the one all yall are aiming at to hate on now?

Im guessin it is still cool to be a shady/aftermath/interscope hater...

Kinda strange cuz Benzino does the exact same thing yall do...

If you feel this post wasn't aimed at you don't even bother to reply...for those who do reply blow ur cover ^....identify urself please...

one mc on dj said:
Is it me or is Jimmy suddenly the one all yall are aiming at to hate on now?

Im guessin it is still cool to be a shady/aftermath/interscope hater...

Kinda strange cuz Benzino does the exact same thing yall do...

If you feel this post wasn't aimed at you don't even bother to reply...for those who do reply blow ur cover ^....identify urself please...

I was thinking the same thing, I was going to make some sarcastic remark about how I heard that Jimmy Iovine was responsible for 9/11 too...but I'd rather say some factual stuff. Everyone ran out of things to hate Dre/Em/50 on, so they'd figure to go after Iovine, it makes sense if you think about it.

Hostile Apostle said:
I was thinking the same thing, I was going to make some sarcastic remark about how I heard that Jimmy Iovine was responsible for 9/11 too...but I'd rather say some factual stuff. Everyone ran out of things to hate Dre/Em/50 on, so they'd figure to go after Iovine, it makes sense if you think about it.
Well, Iovine owns Geffen Records. So he does have the power to to pull songs from the Mos album.

Tito said:
Well, Iovine owns Geffen Records. So he does have the power to to pull songs from the Mos album.
Yeah but the fact that he owns it doesn't change the other fact that a lot of ppl are mentinion Iovine more than they had ever done b4...How does this thread help ppl...? Since when do people care about him? :confused:

It wasn't removed...

"After one anonymous source at Universal Music Group (UMG) confirmed that Mos Def's New Danger album was missing the controversial "Rape Over" track, another UMG rep confirmed that this was a rumor, kinda. Turns out that Mos Def wasn't forced. UMG released the following statement, "Days before street date it came to our attention that the song contained a sample of a Doors record that we had not yet cleared. While we attempted to secure the necessary clearance for the sample, we prepared an alternate version of the master and artwork should we not be able to clear the sample." According to UMG, there was such a demand for the album they shipped additional units to retail to cover the outstanding orders. 50,000 of the units were of the alternate version that didn't include the "Rape Over." UMG wants to make it clear that the "Rape Over" was never removed from the album for any reason other than the clearance of the sample and that all subsequent shipments of the album include the track, which calls out who's really running hip hop, according to Mos Def."

http://www.vibe.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=valerts&file=index&do=6&id=742

one mc on dj said:
Yeah but the fact that he owns it doesn't change the other fact that a lot of ppl are mentinion Iovine more than they had ever done b4...How does this thread help ppl...? Since when do people care about him? :confused:
Im just posting a question. If you dont know who he is then stay of the thread. Do you work for Interscope or something?

Violent. said:
It wasn't removed...

"After one anonymous source at Universal Music Group (UMG) confirmed that Mos Def's New Danger album was missing the controversial "Rape Over" track, another UMG rep confirmed that this was a rumor, kinda. Turns out that Mos Def wasn't forced. UMG released the following statement, "Days before street date it came to our attention that the song contained a sample of a Doors record that we had not yet cleared. While we attempted to secure the necessary clearance for the sample, we prepared an alternate version of the master and artwork should we not be able to clear the sample." According to UMG, there was such a demand for the album they shipped additional units to retail to cover the outstanding orders. 50,000 of the units were of the alternate version that didn't include the "Rape Over." UMG wants to make it clear that the "Rape Over" was never removed from the album for any reason other than the clearance of the sample and that all subsequent shipments of the album include the track, which calls out who's really running hip hop, according to Mos Def."

http://www.vibe.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=valerts&file=index&do=6&id=742
Fashizzle. :D

Tito said:
Im just posting a question. If you dont know who he is then stay of the thread. Do you work for Interscope or something?
Do you think I work for Interscope? If so what makes you think I work for Interscope? Why can't I be someone who just noticed Jimmy Iovine is mentioned a lot...Why do can't I be someone who noticed people mention him only in a negative way. :rolleyes: Why do so many people suddenly give a fuck?

Do me a favor answer these questions and shut the fuck up allright... :)

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.