Detox is finally coming out.

kastro

This album has taken way too long, theres no way this will live up to the expectation that ppl have had for detox... tbh i dont think dre has made 400 songs.. if he has surely kush cant be his best? i mean its mediocre at best but i wont be listening to this track years from naw, unlike forgot about dre which you can go back and listen to it

THEV1LL4N

^^exactly.

Dont forget, Dre said he was planning to work on an instrumental album, which i think would be recorded in HD or 3D surround sound (cant remember which). (each song would be his interpretation of what each planet would sound like).

THEV1LL4N

Just imagine that the song "Forgot About Dre" was not on 2001. No-one heard of it, knew about it or heard anything like it. This song is on detox and the lead single on Detox.

"Ho Please
You better bow down on both knees
Who you think taught you to smoke trees
Who you think brought you the o' G's
Eazy-E's Ice Cube's and D.O.C's and Snoop D O double G's
And a group that said muthafuck the police
Gave you a tape full of dope beats
To bump when stroll through in your hood
And when your album sales wasn't doin too good
Who's the doc that he told you to go see?"

It'd be a perfect reintroduction (if you had to pick a song from 2001 to put on Detox). What im trying to say is, i'd hoped for a similar type of song to make the statement that Dre is the MF'in pioneer of rap (as the lead single). I hope he goes out with a bang and that this album takes us all by surprise in a good way after we have all underestimated him!! i just really hope so.

But again, ive set my expectations at Detox having good songs, not classics; maybe hits.

masta247

Staff member
The sad thing is that most of older artists try too hard to sound "modern, cool" and sometimes even innovative which usually makes them fail miserably. That seems to be true for Dre, many Wu-tang members, even a bit with Snoop but he's somehow holding on. I wish they just continued doing what they did and took more inspiration from their previous hits instead of modern music because the latter usually results in a fail combination. Like a middle-age crisis.

I think that a pretty good example of an artist getting old in a proper way is Method Man.

THEV1LL4N

by proper, do you mean maturing and still doing the same type of music but expanding into different types of hip-hop such as songs found on 421: the day after, blackout 2 and wu-massacre?

masta247

Staff member
I think that he is doing what he always was doing, he's not trying to suddenly change his style.
You can hear that his lyrics are more mature and that his songs are a bit different, less hardcore perhaps but it's still the same Method Man.

masta247

Staff member
So am I the only one who quite likes that Kush track?

I quite understand why people who dislike it are also "dismissing" that album. Well, Chronic 2001 had "Still Dre" and "Forgot about Dre" so if Kush is the main single from Detox chances are that it won't be anywhere as good.

THEV1LL4N

ive only listened to it about 3 or 4 times... dont think i'll listen to it much more since i have a shortlist of the latest ones i want to listen to. it could be a lot lot worse.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
So am I the only one who quite likes that Kush track?

I quite understand why people who dislike it are also "dismissing" that album. Well, Chronic 2001 had "Still Dre" and "Forgot about Dre" so if Kush is the main single from Detox chances are that it won't be anywhere as good.
It's not that I don't like it, it's that there are so many other new songs I'd rather listen to at this point in time. I'd rather listen to the all of the lights interlude on the Kanye album than the Kush track. I'd rather listen to Chris Rock talk about reupholstered pussy than listen to this song. It's not that it sucks. It's simply not good enough to warrant 3-4 minutes on my iTunes playlist. When Detox comes out, I won't skip the track.

masta247

Staff member
Yeah I also don't think that it's great but it's not bad. It's pretty fine in my opinion. I'm not really much into other albums at the moment so this one is a fresh addition to my playlist.

SiGh

Who's there?
Staff member
Dre needs new material, he talks about the same shit in every song.

It's like I understand you started this gangsta shit, smoked a lot of weed & lost a few homies on the way. WHAT THE FUCK else went on in the 20+ years you've been in the "game".

Shadows

Dre needs new material, he talks about the same shit in every song.

It's like I understand you started this gangsta shit, smoked a lot of weed & lost a few homies on the way. WHAT THE FUCK else went on in the 20+ years you've been in the "game".
You can't just blame him, it's his writers.

If I was Dre, I'd make an anthem that hip-hop needs to come back. liek it was when pac and biggie was here...and that hip-hops been going down since he's been away.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.