Destiny's Child: When Will These Sisters Learn?

DESTINY'S CHILD: WHEN WILL THEY LEARN?
By the All Mighty Mark Skillz

So after a long hiatus the chicks from Destiny's Child have reunited and this time the album is entitled: "Destiny's Fulfilled". But I have to ask, "Are they still children or have they grown up to be women yet? Apparently they are women, but I have to wonder about the depth of their maturity.

On their latest song "Soldier" they talk about wanting a man who's "status better be hood or ain't checking for him, Better be street if he looking at me, I need a soldier that ain't scared to stand up for me, he gotta know how to get the dough and he better be street."

Perhaps these sisters have never heard about what happens to chicks that get caught up with these types of characters. I don't think they've heard of the sisters that have caught cases because they were unknowingly holding guns and or drugs for one of these street soldiers. Have they heard the stories of the girls who just wanted a man with money, and didn't care how he got it? And how these same soldiers have enemies, real enemies, not some pretty boy actor with gold teeth and Roc a Wear gear, but real thugs, who shoot at cars and don't care who's driving it.

When I hear this song, it makes me stop and think about a girl I dated a long time back, her name was Sheila, God forgive me but I can't remember her last name right now. Anyway, it was the 80's, and crack was all over like garbage on the street. Everywhere you looked you saw: This one on crack, that one selling crack. It was crazy. Girls at that time were crazy about guys that got their money that way. It was hard on a brother if he wasn't rolling like that back then.

Anyway, one day, this chick comes from out of nowhere, with this big smile on her face and gives me her number. I call her, we chitchatted a bit, and we went out. While I was talking to her I got to know her and the impression I got, was that she had dated a bunch of drug dealers and wanted a different kind of guy. I also found out she had gotten accustomed to that type of lifestyle: the cars, the money, the jewelry, and etc. etc.

I didn't get down like that. I was raised to disdain drugs and to never corrupt our communities with that garbage. So, as cute as she was, we didn't see each other anymore like that. It was one of the many times in my young life that I was really contemplating joining the dark side. I thought, hey I could have the money, the girls the whole nine. But God would not let me go down that dark path. It was rough. But I got through it.

My friends who somehow or another knew this girl warned me to leave her alone. I'll never forget my man Chuck Money telling me, "Mark leave that girl alone. She's no good."

I bumped into Sheila one night at a roller skating rink with one of these characters, we spoke, we were friendly. I had seen her man before, I knew who he was. For some reason, all of these years later, the last image I have of her in mind still stands out like the shining glitter ball that shot lights all over the roller rink that night. Her smile, it was so big and innocent for a girl that had been exposed to what she had been doing.

Not too long afterwards while talking with my brother and his girlfriend at the time, I mentioned Sheila's name to my brothers girl and she said, "Oh, she's dead". In shock I said, "No, can't be her." She ran down the description and I said "Yeah, that's her." To which my brother's girl said, "Yeah, she got shot in the head while driving her boyfriends car. She got shot and ran off the freeway into a ditch."

I was in a state of shock for weeks. In disbelief, one night I found her number and fought with myself as to whether I should call her house. I did. Her mother told me "She's dead" and hung up the phone.

Later I found out it was a case of mistaken identity. Her boyfriends enemies thought he was in the car with her that night, it didn't matter who was in the car, they knew that car and they had it in for him.

I ran into so many other girls just like Sheila over the years. Girls, who, for whatever reason were attracted to the gangster lifestyle, and in all honesty, were very naïve as to the consequences. The idea that they could do better was as foreign to them, as the Mandarin language. The connection between prisons, funeral homes and cemeteries and visits to Narcotics Anonymous never came together for them.

So, flash forward almost 20 years later, and here we have a platinum selling group of talented young sisters, and what are they feeding to young girls: Poison. Young girls need better guidance from grown women than that. A man, who, as Lil Wayne puts it, "Has a body marked up like a subway in Harlem" more likely than not, is not going to make a woman's life any better.

There are almost as many veterans incarcerated in prisons around our country than there are soldiers on the streets. If Destiny's Child has a destiny to be fulfilled, they are a long way off.

Markskillz@aol.com

I read this thing on http://www.daveyd.com when the song first released and it really makes some good points about maturing due to their influence on young women. The only hyppocritical thing about that, however, is that men make songs speaking of selling coke, killing each other, invading homes and kidnapping family members of rival gangs, etc. I think that Hip Hop (I guess you can include R&B now too because they're beginning to jack beats from it) needs to take a step back and look at where it's headed because if they don't, we're gonna eventually have people shooting themselves to have credibility and we're gonna have young females losing their virginity when they're 13 and 14 for all the wrong reasons. Save the future and the culture and do something about it.

THA WILD said:
I read this thing on http://www.daveyd.com when the song first released and it really makes some good points about maturing due to their influence on young women. The only hyppocritical thing about that, however, is that men make songs speaking of selling coke, killing each other, invading homes and kidnapping family members of rival gangs, etc. I think that Hip Hop (I guess you can include R&B now too because they're beginning to jack beats from it) needs to take a step back and look at where it's headed because if they don't, we're gonna eventually have people shooting themselves to have credibility and we're gonna have young females losing their virginity when they're 13 and 14 for all the wrong reasons. Save the future and the culture and do something about it.
I also read this at Davey D's quite a long time ago.

You say 'hypocritical' but when you think about, rap artists aren't that mainstream. And even when you are - a la 50 & Eminem - they tend to cut down on the killing & slanging so that their shit can get played on radio.

Destiny's Child however, are worldwide mainstream & are putting a horrible image across.

Oh, & girls are already losing their virginity at 13 & 14 for all the wrong reasons.

But I can see what you're saying....

so true, i was gonna make a thread like this, the only thing i like bout thatvid is waynes verse, destinys child needs to keep that shit out of there music, there rich, high class females, they no nothing of the street or anything to do with it, the song is fucking stupid especially since its little girls buying there shit, the niggaz in the video are some pretty boyz that prolly shave there balls, theres nothing street about them but a 14 yr old girl dont know that.

THA WILD said:
Perhaps these sisters have never heard about what happens to chicks that get caught up with these types of characters. I don't think they've heard of the sisters that have caught cases because they were unknowingly holding guns and or drugs for one of these street soldiers. Have they heard the stories of the girls who just wanted a man with money, and didn't care how he got it? And how these same soldiers have enemies, real enemies, not some pretty boy actor with gold teeth and Roc a Wear gear, but real thugs, who shoot at cars and don't care who's driving it.
watch it :mad:

THA WILD said:
You know I not referring to the Street Soldiers who defended TupacBoard; just the ones on the street, right?
LOL man yeah watch it lol b4 you know it you got the entire life forum posters dissin you in this thread...they are loyal to him and them. :eek:

Honestly this might sound strange or cold or whatever...I am waiting for DC to break up or one of em to die..Thats how these groups always split and I think it's a conspiracy ...

ArtsyGirl

CalcuoCuchicheo said:
You say 'hypocritical' but when you think about, rap artists aren't that mainstream. And even when you are - a la 50 & Eminem - they tend to cut down on the killing & slanging so that their shit can get played on radio.

Destiny's Child however, are worldwide mainstream & are putting a horrible image across.
Does it matter if the artist is mainstream or not? Both reach a certain audience, just because its a different demographic or on a different scale doesnt make the message more or less dangerous.

Although the song doesnt do anything for me personally to change my views, it is still a song about something that is already happening in countless communities around the world. The problem is not Destiny's Child or the song but the view these girls have that drug dealers and gangsters are the right people for them and I'm sure they didnt get it off a song on the radio. I read a book called Uprising in which it speaks about possible solutions to gang violence and one was to make women stand up to the men and show that they dont want a man who is leading a life of self-destruction so that men will change their lifestyles. Just like the article said he almost changed so he could have the girl, many men would have already crossed over for the same reason. The power is in the womens hands. Destiny's Child could make more problem solving songs but that doesnt fit into the money making schemes of these Record Companies.

artisticgurl said:
Does it matter if the artist is mainstream or not? Both reach a certain audience, just because its a different demographic or on a different scale doesnt make the message more or less dangerous.
Yes it does.

Different demographic does make the message more dangerous.

Tell me something, if a 13 year old's idol promotes a certain type of message & a 45 year old's musical idol promotes a certain type of message, who is more likely to act on this influence?

Exactly.

ArtsyGirl

That is true but tell me this if a 13 year old listens to Destiny's Child and has the message to date "soldiers" and another 13 year old listens to a less known group who portrays the same, its just as dangerous for that person and anyone who listens.

artisticgurl said:
That is true but tell me this if a 13 year old listens to Destiny's Child and has the message to date "soldiers" and another 13 year old listens to a less known group who portrays the same, its just as dangerous for that person and anyone who listens.
:confused:

the point is destinys child are known world wide and making songs like that aint good, becuz the people buying there records are usually girls between the age of 11 to 15, those are the ages where a child picks up alot of things from pop culture, a song with lyrics promoting "street cats" and "thugs" aint the type of message that should be being fed to them ALSO i find that the quality in there music has deteriorated, eg one minute there talking bout "can u pay my bills", female power and all that shit a young girl should be inspired by now there talking bout "be with a man with gold teeth, make sure he lives on welfare and has 10 kids, make sure he has a criminal record, forget about the nigga that has an education"

artisticgurl said:
Basically what Silleone said.

Destiny's Child reach millions, a lesser known group don't.

Also, the switching of messages. Destiny's Child are portraying an image whereby, strong, 'independent women' should look for a criminal as a partner.

Although, if you are armed with an example of a lesser known group with such lyrics I will lambaste them also.

And MaKaveli 10.....to try to make a comment about the intelligence & possibly the integrity of this thread with no reasons given or even implied really lets your intelligence shine.

Destiny Child Are Singing About What Ppl Like To Hear. Just Like Rappers Do. You Don't Hear Ppl Complaining When Rappers Say They Want A "thug Girl" "tip Drill" "down Azz Bitch" Etc. It's Not Like There The Only Group Who Said They Want Thugs
The Song Was Suppose To Be Hood, And Alot Of Woman Like The "thug Image" So Thats What The Song Was For
Most Of The Ppl Who Buy There Albums Are Teenagers And Thats The Type Of Shit Teenagers Like To Here..SOME PPL TAKE SONGS TO SERIOUS..IF THAT WAS THE CASE EVERY RAPPER ARE IMMATURE CUZ AINT NOTHIN DC WAS SINGING ABOUT HAVNT BEEN DONE BEFORE...U CAN'T TAKE EVERY SONG U HEAR SERIOUS. AS A PAC FAN I LEARN THAT A LONG TIME AGO.

ArtsyGirl

the point is destinys child are known world wide and making songs like that aint good, becuz the people buying there records are usually girls between the age of 11 to 15, those are the ages where a child picks up alot of things from pop culture, a song with lyrics promoting "street cats" and "thugs" aint the type of message that should be being fed to them ALSO i find that the quality in there music has deteriorated, eg one minute there talking bout "can u pay my bills", female power and all that shit a young girl should be inspired by now there talking bout "be with a man with gold teeth, make sure he lives on welfare and has 10 kids, make sure he has a criminal record, forget about the nigga that has an education"
I agree, I was refering to the difference between Destiny's Child and rap, and the mainstream versus less known shit. Basically rap is just as strong as R&B at the moment and their message isnt much more positive so its across the board. I find that the popular music scene is easily adjusted to different shit, and all that needs to happen is artists to come out with positive shit but give it the same marketing as a negative song. Like Sweet said its what people have been trained to like and its just DC giving the people what they want and makin money off it. They are definately not the new TLC.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.