Could 50 be the next Em or Jay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, OK, before I start this post, let me make it PERFECTLY CRYSTAL CLEAR that I have NEVER liked 50 Cent as a rapper. He has some good songs here and there like "In Da Club" (<- rumored to be a D12 song initially), and the most ironic thing is, when 50's on his own shit, he seems to come lackidaisical. But, when he's guesting, he seems to rip the beat to shreds. I just don't get it. So, ASIDE FROM some of his guest appearances like "We All Die One Day" and him actually ALMOST outshining Eminem on "Never Enough".

However, now it seems like 50 wasn't joking when he said he was going to try to sign "the whole rap industry" to G Unit records. Of course he exaggerating saying "the whole rap industry", but we all got the point.

Now, this news that he's "this close" to signing Mobb Deep (2 punk bitches dissin' Pac AFTER his death) and MOP.

Basically my question here is if 50 is actually a good enough business man to start signing some heavyweights to G Unit Records, do any of you think he'll become "more legitimate" in the aspect of being more respected? Also, do you think 50 has the business savvy to become a record mogul like Eminem has somewhat become what with him signing Obie, D12 and 50 all to Shady/Aftermath or like Jay did with the Roc.

Me personally, I don't think 50 has what it takes. I believe he's going to flop as a business man because he has no longevity. He has no substance. He only goes with what's hot at the moment.

Some may call this hating, I call it telling it like I see it.

So, bottom line. Does 50 have what it takes to be a record mogul, or is he gonna flop trying to become the next Clive Davis?

no, because he lacks depth and the courage to make songs outside the box. Julez Santana has more of a chance I'd say (by the way how come he is listed still as a rocafella artist on the website??)

right now yes i think so
his one of the hottest rappers out right now and if you dont agree well your wrong then
so because of that fact, lets say he signs mobb deep or like other talented but underground artists or whoever, then only thing he needs to do is drop a verse or two on their first single and appear on some other joints on the lps and they got themselves plat records and therefore he'll be credited for puttin over artists and after he does that with a few artists, i think some of the heavyweights whos not satisfied or doesnt like their current label or whatever will seek a deal with 50 cent thus makin him a good businessman

now im just basing this on his popularity and what happened with game (his first single with 50 and 50 was all over his record)

also i think he has the right attitude to be a good business man but that attitude may fuck him up big time :p

this is obviosuly my opinion though hah

ps isnt d12 version of in da club on their mixtape? called kick in the door or soemthing dunno but ive heard it

roaches

Please. He's already surpassed them.

Shady:
50 Cent - superstar, but the only role Eminem plays in that is the logo on the singles
D12 - Eminem's sidekicks
Obie Trice - shipped platinum, every single flopped
Pharoahe Monch - went from "Agent Orange" to "Fish Fillet" after signing with Shady
Stat Quo - has that good underground buzz going, but that's it
Young Zee - rolls D12's blunts, was probably signed to counteract Pacewon's criticism

Roc-a-fella:
Memphis Bleek - flops every time, just flopped again
Sauce Money - wrote "I'll Be Missing You" for Puffy, disappeared
Amil - was dropped, with a coat hanger as a consolation prize
Beanie Sigel - hot albums, but has he ever sold more than 700k?
Freeway - great album, but did he even go gold?
State Property - hot singles, dope albums, don't move units
Kanye West - closing in on 3x platinum, but he did all the work himself
M.O.P. - have to drop indy albums under pseudonyms just to keep their name out there

50 Cent:
Lloyd Banks - multiplatinum, hit singles
Young Buck - multiplatinum, strong singles (no real hits, though)
The Game - multiplatinum (and let's be honest, 50 played a big role)
G-Unit as a group - multiplatinum

well if u take into account jigga hasnt proven himself as a businessman not even at the roc because he always had biggs and dash to do that part of the work.
eminem ...... dunno much apart from d12 and obie.

50 as a businessman should just be glad hes got jimmy iovine backing him. any1 with less clout and none of this would even be happenin.

I think you will. All of the younger crowd will listen to whatever he says. If he says Mobb Deep is "hot shit" they'll be huge same with MOP. That's how it is with Shady/Aftermath and G-Unit. Eminem did it with 50. No one outside of hip hop heads knew who this guy was then Eminem and Dre were throwing his name everywhere and the everybody loved him. I hate it because there's so many artists out there who deserve it more than 50, but when he's got Eminem on his side he'll basically come on top.

right now yes i think so
his one of the hottest rappers out right now and if you dont agree well your wrong then
*laughs* Ya know, this is the one thing I've always laughed at about people on the internet. No matter where you go, if you don't agree with someone, then you're just wrong. God forbid people just have two different opinions and you agree to disagree.

Anyway, yeah, 50 is definately ONE OF the hottest rappers out right now and PROBABLY the hottest. That doesn't mean he's any good though. Just means he was able to con like 3 million people into thinking his music is any good.

That said, I'd like to know where it says that your popularity as a rapper is relevant to whether or not your a good business man. :(

so because of that fact, lets say he signs mobb deep or like other talented but underground artists or whoever, then only thing he needs to do is drop a verse or two on their first single and appear on some other joints on the lps and they got themselves plat records
Not necessarily. Just because 50 is on a record or is affiliated with a group/solo rappers doesn't mean it's going to go platinum.

and therefore he'll be credited for puttin over artists and after he does that with a few artists, i think some of the heavyweights whos not satisfied or doesnt like their current label or whatever will seek a deal with 50 cent thus makin him a good businessman
Again, who he does or doesn't sign isn't NECESSARILY a factor that will make him a good businessman. Whether or not 50's a good business man will be proven eventually based on who he signs, what kind of contractual agreement they've come to, how 50 is going to market these acts and so forth. Signing good artists doesn't even make you a good businessman.

You know what makes a person a good businessman/woman? The ability to consistently make profits day in and day out, month in and month out, year in and year out. That's really all it comes down to. I mean, some say "it's how good he is at negotiating" or "it depends on who he signs". Dogg...of course that shit matters, but in the end, if you're doing everything else right, then the profits will be right.

now im just basing this on his popularity and what happened with game (his first single with 50 and 50 was all over his record)
Right, but Game hasn't even broken 1.5 million copies.

2pac could be resurrected, come back to the game and 50 could sign him...that still doesn't mean 50's a good businessman. It just means he was smart enough to sign the world's best rapper.

also i think he has the right attitude to be a good business man but that attitude may fuck him up big time :p
I was just gonna say, I think it could be his attitude that will cause him to fall short. I mean, doing shit like telling Game he had to decide between 50 and Nas. I understand that Game is signed to G-Unit/Aftermath, but 50 had absolutely NO REASON to tell Game to choose. Especially now that we know Game and 50 were NEVER really too close or got along all that great.

I don't know, I personally am hoping to see 50 fall and that's not because I'm hating. It's because I know that he puts out terrible music for the most part and I don't want him signing more horrible acts to put on more horrible shows.

this is obviosuly my opinion though hah

ps isnt d12 version of in da club on their mixtape? called kick in the door or soemthing dunno but ive heard it[/QUOTE]

lol freshprince ive only said that once
i respect and always try to not flame anyone about peoples opinions

but the reason i said that is simple, cause its a fact and not my opinion

and i think popularity matters to whether or not your a good buss man and i dont know how deep into the buss were talkin about in this thread but if its running labels and clothin line etc etc, most of the successful bussmens in the hip hop industry were hit artists before eg snoop jay em dre so i think the popularity as a rapper is prety important

as for 50 gettin involved with other albums i think itll help with the sales a lot. i think if he signs a good underground artist, prmote him well and does a few tracks and the single with him, the artist will probably sell 2-4 times more

and i dont agree with you on the third point either, not sayin your wrong but just dont agree with you cause how can you make good money when your workin with crappy artists? when you cant market those crappy artists or when they cant sell as many records as good artists? also when you asked the question, you said will he be able to sign some heavyweights...and thats why i said once he signs some aritsts and make em big, some heavyweights artists will seek contracts with 50

and the rest i agree with ya :)

Dave D

50 is at the top of the game at the moment, im not talking skills im talking industry. And when you are at the top, you have to constantly expand to stay on top wether you own a restaurant or are in the music industry. He is a marketing genious and to answer your question, he will be a biger business man than those two can ever hope to be.

well if u take into account jigga hasnt proven himself as a businessman not even at the roc because he always had biggs and dash to do that part of the work.
eminem ...... dunno much apart from d12 and obie.
Just out of curiosity, and this is a genuine question. How do you know how involved or not Jay was in things like that at the Roc? I mean, really, unless any of us were employed there, are good friends w/ any of those involved, none of us here have a clue really as to who did what, when, where and so forth.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just asking for your support.

50 as a businessman should just be glad hes got jimmy iovine backing him. any1 with less clout and none of this would even be happenin.
Nah...I disagree. First of all, if Suge did it independently, why can't 50? It's not like 50's strapped for cash, I mean, Jesus, dude has a house that's 78,000 square feet. Do you understand how big that house is? It's like being in a fucking modern day castle. He even has his own nightclub IN HIS HOUSE. Yes...he has his own nightclub in his house. But, I think 50 getting to do this has more to do with his allegance with Eminem.

sniper said:
games on double platinum right now ^^^^^^
Fuck...when did that happen? Last time I checked, about three weeks ago, he hadn't even hit 1.5 yet, I think it was like 1, 348,500 or some shit like that. So, you're trying to tell me that suddenly Game sold 600,000 more records in three or four weeks?

Unless the chart I looked at was wrong, but it was a chart someone here had posted, so...

lol freshprince ive only said that once
i respect and always try to not flame anyone about peoples opinions
I never accused you of saying it more. It just struck me because I'm 28 years old and have been using the internet for about 11 years now, and the one thing that has never changed was the fact that anywhere you go on the net into a discussion forum, if you disagree with somone, you're automatically labelled by that person as "wrong" or "stupid", or whatever.

So...all's I'm saying is respect me and I'll respect you. I may disgree with something you say, but I won't tell you you're stupid or wrong for saying it.

but the reason i said that is simple, cause its a fact and not my opinion
Well, I never disagreed with you on that. No doubt 50 is probably the hottest rapper out right now. But...that doesn't mean he's a good businessman.

and i think popularity matters to whether or not your a good buss man
No, it doesn't. Popularity has nothing at all to do with your business skills. I have SEVERAL family members who own their own business. Popularity ain't got to do with shit.

and i dont know how deep into the buss were talkin about in this thread but if its running labels and clothin line etc etc, most of the successful bussmens in the hip hop industry were hit artists before eg snoop jay em dre so i think the popularity as a rapper is prety important
Dude, you're problem here is that you're mixing up being a rapper with being a business man. It's not the same thing, not close. Of course popularity as a rapper is important. I can't even believe you said that. It's like the biggest "duh" in the world. Of course popularity as an artist is important...fuck...it's everything. You have no popularity, you sell no records. But..that has NOTHING TO DO with business skills. It helps with name recognition, but that's it. And you asked how deep into the business we're talking. I'm not referring to clothing lines. My intention of this thread is very clear from post #1. I said I wanted to know if you all think 50 can be as good of a label head as Eminem or Jay. That was the exact question.

And of course being a popular rapper before going into starting your own other business is a huge help. If Snoop had never been one of the countries best rappers and now most legendary, he wouldn't have gotten a lot of the stuff he has. I mean, hell, Snoop is probably the worst fucking actor on the planet. But the man has tons of movie roles under his belt.

as for 50 gettin involved with other albums i think itll help with the sales a lot. i think if he signs a good underground artist, prmote him well and does a few tracks and the single with him, the artist will probably sell 2-4 times more
I disagree. It's been proven with both Nelly and the St. Lunatics as well as with Eminem and D12. Just because you're a star, whoever you push up under you will NOT automatically sell just because of that star's clout. I mean, the St. Lunatics put out one album, and they've kinda disappeared since, with the exception of Murphy Lee.

Same thing with D12. If your theory were correct, D12 World should have sold in excess of 2 or 3 million. I'm not sure what it did do, but I know I'd be surprised if it surpassed 2 million.

and i dont agree with you on the third point either, not sayin your wrong but just dont agree with you cause how can you make good money when your workin with crappy artists?
]

Lots of people do it every day. Eminem is doing it with 50 as we speak. I mean, ok, for real here. Put 50's image aside. Put his popularity aside, as an overall rapper, 50 Cent is not good. He makes some good club bangers and that's where it ends. He has no substance. I mean, fuck, 2pac was just maybe 2 steps over lyrically average, but he was the most respected and revered rapper because of the heart and soul he put into his shit. When you put on a Pac record, before it starts you know you can count on 2 things:

1. Depending on the record, you'll either be bumpin' like a mofo, crying like a mofo, or thinking like a mofo. and

2. You'll know that Pac put his entire body and soul into every word of every lyric in that song.

50 doesn't have these things. I mean, overall, 50 Cent is a crappy artist. Another point is Vanilla Ice. I mean, not only was he not writing his own stuff, but he was turned out to be a fucking fraud, yet he sold SHIT LOADS of records. I mean, really, when he was at his peak, for about 2 minutes Vanilla Ice got to see the popularity Eminem has gotten and maintained.

So...there's your answer.

when you cant market those crappy artists or when they cant sell as many records as good artists?
I belive I already covered this above.

also when you asked the question, you said will he be able to sign some heavyweights...and thats why i said once he signs some aritsts and make em big, some heavyweights artists will seek contracts with 50
Why? You think just because 50 can sign Joe Schmo from Shitville, Idaho, and make him sell 2 million that Nas and a bunch of other heavy lifters are gonna flock to 50? I don't see that happening.

EDIT:
Dave D:
50 is at the top of the game at the moment, im not talking skills im talking industry. And when you are at the top, you have to constantly expand to stay on top wether you own a restaurant or are in the music industry. He is a marketing genious and to answer your question, he will be a biger business man than those two can ever hope to be.
Really? Wow...that shocks the shit out of me. You actually think 50 will be a better businessman than someone like Jay Z? OK...now I think you're high.

Damn...I don't get why so many people are giving this clown love. I just don't get it.

He obviouisly was just paraphrasing, and did a pretty good job of it.
Well, you don't paraphrase and quote it like the person actually said it. If you're a journalist and you do that...you get fired.

It's obvious who you are. Shut up.
Wow. "shut up". You're just so friendly dude. Again, what did I do to you to be spoken to so rudely?

So, who am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.