Content is a weak rapper's crutch.

TCD

Someone like Ludacris has most of the technical attributes to become a really great rapper. Nice distingtive voice, great flow,charisma and lyrically competant but the content for the most part is average. Content is very important.

Someone like Kanye West is a technically a very average rapper, but his charisma,smart rhymes and content save him. (as well as the sick production)

Being interested in a topic in completely subjective so you can't measure it by quality. People who say they dislike people like Cash Money because their content sucks are idiots. The content doesn't suck, you're simply not interested by it.
EXACTLY.

CONTENT CANNOT BE MEASURED AS GOOD OR BAD.

ARon

^By me personally it can. If I dont relate to what a rapper is sayin i aint gonna feel him, so i am measuring him as good or bad. Content can be measured, no rapper is gonna be considered "great" talking about molestin kids or killin them or whatever. Content is something that should be included with flow, rhyme scheme, blah blah, balance like syns said.

Content can be measured, no rapper is gonna be considered "great" talking about molestin kids or killin them or whatever.
Like Chronic said, their content isn't "bad", it just doesn't appeal to you. And that statement is wrong, because look at the huge loyal following of all those horrorcore artists who rap about that kind of shit - that kind of content APPEALS to them, so therefore those artists are considered great by them.

roaches said:
I'm not sure I should've made this thread.

This post has nothing to do with how you think hip-hop should or shouldn't be. There is already an entire literary movement of people disgruntled that Chuck D doesn't have 50 Cent status that has taken care of that. I'm concerned with reality.

I'm also not concerned with semantics games.

So, before we go on, those anyone have any problems with these assumptions?
- Doggystyle is a great record.
- It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back is a great record.
- Parts of both albums' greatness is the performance of the rappers on those records.
- 2Pac, Nas, Jay-Z, and Biggie are generally agreed to be great rappers.
- Liquid Swords is a great record.
- Only Built for Cuban Linx... is a great record.
- GZA is a better rapper than Raekwon.
- The mechanics of a rap performance include the interrelated flow, delivery, lyricism, and content, where
* Flow is the rhythm of the recitation of a line in relation to the beat
* Lyricism is the quality of the lines of the performance, including diction, intricacy of the rhymes, effectiveness at expressing the message
* Content is the message or subject matter

If not, let's continue.
yea i completely agree

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.