Common RNS is out

"Go" ain't too bad to me. I like the scratching at the end.

"Faithful" is the weak link in my eyes. But even that is listenable.

"Love Is" is still the best shit on there, along with "Chi City".

roaches

Any song that tries to quote "Ooh baby, I like it raw" and try to make it sexy and earnest at the same time is wack, and corny.

The only reason anyone would put out "Go" as a single is to try to make it a big hit. It's obviously supposed to be the "party" joint. Well, it's a party joint in the sense that the Black Eyed Peas make party music (i.e.: the block ain't gonna feel this, doggie. This is nonthreatening music that's gonna be played in romantic teen comedies featuring anorexic white bitches). The only DJ that's gonna willingly put this in heavy rotation is the bar mitzvah DJ.

Common's got a hit on his hands with "The Corner". It was obviously an accident - "Go" was supposed to be the first single, but "The Corner" was played on Chicago radio to build hype and it caught buzz so they ran with it. Motherfuckers were hyped. It was Common doing some straight-up hip-hop shit, bringing it socially conscious like people expect him to.

Are they trying to appeal to John Mayer's fans? Guess what - John Mayer's fans aren't going to buy a B-list rapper's album just because their hero utters ONE SYLLABLE on one song. Are they trying to do the Kanye factor again? Kanye's guest appearances always result in big sales, right? Right, Dilated Peoples? Slum Village? Only star Kanye's made is Twista, and that's because the song that Twista dropped a guest verse on somehow turned into Twista's song, and he managed to ride that for another single before riding again on R Kelly's coattails.

When I'm not in the spot, I want to hear T.I. or Ludacris or Lil Jon, not Common Sense.

Giving the people what they want is not a bad thing.

What do people want from Common? They don't want to get jiggy. These motherfuckers who were supposed to be conscious never learn. Mos Def caught a gold record with Black on Both Sides, he alienated his fanbase for five years by turning his back on the movement he spearheaded to appeal to a larger crowd. He didn't put out his rock album that entire time, and didn't even get to it until "Hey Ya" blew up. Now that it was safe, he recorded a sloppy mess that tried to appeal to everyone and then ran to Hollywood.

Talib Kweli's known as the conscious rapper. He tried to get jiggy with "Waiting for the DJ", and it flopped. "Get By" was his biggest hit because of its message. Like the dumb motherfucker he is, he thought just any bullshit over Kanye West beats would give him more hits. Nope. No one wants to hear Talib Kweli on Neptunes beats or rapping love songs. That's why he has to constantly tour (I bet he has lots of respect for himself - he gets to open up for the Black Eyed Peas!) and pathetically mention that Styles P likes him. People like him, but he's not honest about why they like him, and that's why he's a failure.

These socially conscious rap motherfuckers don't respect their audience. The ones who do succeed. That's why Jay-Z went from Jaz-O's hypeman who nobody wanted to sign to the legend who convinced everyone he was the best simply by repeating that sentence until they agreed. That's why everybody thinks Nasty Nas Is Back, why 50 Cent does a million in his first week, and Hi-Tek's now a universally beatmaker while his former companions are Friends With Kanye West And Got Namedropped By Jay-Z. The only rapper who can get away with insulting his audience's intelligence is Eminem, and even he hasn't gotten away with it as much as he used to this time around.

If Common and Kanye understood Common's audience, they wouldn't release some bullshit.

If "Go" blows up and tops 106 & Park and Common goes platinum anyway, good for him, I misjudged what people think is corny or not. But I don't think I'm totally full of shit here.

The only reason anyone would put out "Go" as a single is to try to make it a big hit.
... as opposed to the OTHER reasons for putting out a single...

Seriously, the joint ain't anywhere near as bad as you're making it out to be. It's not a party joint and it's not supposed to be (well, i hope to god it's not). And don't even TRY and make it seem like Com is stooping to Mos and Kweli's level. The album isn't a hype banger. Deal with it. Props to Com for not trying to be something he's not. Props to Com for not having a tantrum because his album leaked early. Props to Com for making a hip hop album. Props to Com for not trying to rhyme about broken glass over a Neptunes beat.

You know, the album probably won't even reach the car, but it doesn't matter 'cause i'll be listening to it at the end of the day to wind down.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
roaches said:
Any song that tries to quote "Ooh baby, I like it raw" and try to make it sexy and earnest at the same time is wack, and corny.

The only reason anyone would put out "Go" as a single is to try to make it a big hit. It's obviously supposed to be the "party" joint. Well, it's a party joint in the sense that the Black Eyed Peas make party music (i.e.: the block ain't gonna feel this, doggie. This is nonthreatening music that's gonna be played in romantic teen comedies featuring anorexic white bitches). The only DJ that's gonna willingly put this in heavy rotation is the bar mitzvah DJ.

Common's got a hit on his hands with "The Corner". It was obviously an accident - "Go" was supposed to be the first single, but "The Corner" was played on Chicago radio to build hype and it caught buzz so they ran with it. Motherfuckers were hyped. It was Common doing some straight-up hip-hop shit, bringing it socially conscious like people expect him to.

Are they trying to appeal to John Mayer's fans? Guess what - John Mayer's fans aren't going to buy a B-list rapper's album just because their hero utters ONE SYLLABLE on one song. Are they trying to do the Kanye factor again? Kanye's guest appearances always result in big sales, right? Right, Dilated Peoples? Slum Village? Only star Kanye's made is Twista, and that's because the song that Twista dropped a guest verse on somehow turned into Twista's song, and he managed to ride that for another single before riding again on R Kelly's coattails.

When I'm not in the spot, I want to hear T.I. or Ludacris or Lil Jon, not Common Sense.

Giving the people what they want is not a bad thing.

What do people want from Common? They don't want to get jiggy. These motherfuckers who were supposed to be conscious never learn. Mos Def caught a gold record with Black on Both Sides, he alienated his fanbase for five years by turning his back on the movement he spearheaded to appeal to a larger crowd. He didn't put out his rock album that entire time, and didn't even get to it until "Hey Ya" blew up. Now that it was safe, he recorded a sloppy mess that tried to appeal to everyone and then ran to Hollywood.

Talib Kweli's known as the conscious rapper. He tried to get jiggy with "Waiting for the DJ", and it flopped. "Get By" was his biggest hit because of its message. Like the dumb motherfucker he is, he thought just any bullshit over Kanye West beats would give him more hits. Nope. No one wants to hear Talib Kweli on Neptunes beats or rapping love songs. That's why he has to constantly tour (I bet he has lots of respect for himself - he gets to open up for the Black Eyed Peas!) and pathetically mention that Styles P likes him. People like him, but he's not honest about why they like him, and that's why he's a failure.

These socially conscious rap motherfuckers don't respect their audience. The ones who do succeed. That's why Jay-Z went from Jaz-O's hypeman who nobody wanted to sign to the legend who convinced everyone he was the best simply by repeating that sentence until they agreed. That's why everybody thinks Nasty Nas Is Back, why 50 Cent does a million in his first week, and Hi-Tek's now a universally beatmaker while his former companions are Friends With Kanye West And Got Namedropped By Jay-Z. The only rapper who can get away with insulting his audience's intelligence is Eminem, and even he hasn't gotten away with it as much as he used to this time around.

If Common and Kanye understood Common's audience, they wouldn't release some bullshit.

If "Go" blows up and tops 106 & Park and Common goes platinum anyway, good for him, I misjudged what people think is corny or not. But I don't think I'm totally full of shit here.

You're the smartest motherfucker on this board bar none, these kids need to look up to you like the moon to the stars son.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.