Classic?

its linx! said:
When I think of a classic album, I think of a few different things. First of all, whether or not the album is one you can replay. If it has good replay value, that's a huge plus. Also, the production on the album is very important. Then the overall quality of the songs. I don't consider many albums classic though. Albums like Illmatic, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Doggystyle, Strictly Business and more all have dope production and I can play them without skipping tracks. To me, that's when an album becomes classic. It doesn't matter to me whether the artist is known or not. If I know it's an album I can play years later, then that's definitely gotta mean something.

As far as the last classic album(s), i'm not really sure. Haven't thought about that. Common's "BE" is a definite stand out. As is the Roots "Game Theory". Game's "Doctor's Advocate" was really good in my opinion too. Little Brother's "Minstrel Show" I REALLY enjoyed as well. Can't really think of anything else off the top of my head though. I don't know if I would call any of those albums I just named classic, but they're all great albums.

People really do use the word too much though. There's a difference between a good album, a really good album and a classic album. People have to realize that.
You say replay value is a major factor, which is true, but Doctor's Advocate hasn't een out nearly long enough to determine if it has great replay value. Just in general anyways, there's no way anything can be labled a "classic right out of the gate like this, which is what a lot of people on this site are saying about DA. Give it a while to sink in, seroiusly.

linx

Staff member
realBOSTON said:
You say replay value is a major factor, which is true, but Doctor's Advocate hasn't een out nearly long enough to determine if it has great replay value. Just in general anyways, there's no way anything can be labled a "classic right out of the gate like this, which is what a lot of people on this site are saying about DA. Give it a while to sink in, seroiusly.
I was just bringing up some recent (and semi-recent) albums, that's all. I wasn't really going too far with Doctor's Advocate though, just saying it's a good album. It's been out long enough though. It doesn't take long to determine whether or not an album is good or not.

Hmm.. I dont think theres any albums that dropped this year yet i would call "classic".. Alot of great albums, but i wouldnt say "classic"..

ARon

HellRazor05 said:
I'd say an album is a classic if it appeals to mainstream and underground fans equally. Therefore, I can't consider an album by someone like Immortal Technique or Young Joc a classic. Get Rich Or Die Tryin' on the other hand, is a classic album in my eyes because it was accepted equally by mainstream and underground rap fans.
The terms underground and mainstream shouldnt even exist. Those words have killed Hip-Hop more than any artist side whatever.

its linx! The difference between a good, a real good and a classic album.. is the persons musical preferences when deciding.

I dont think you can define a "classic" theres no way in hell everyone is gonna agree something is a classic, picking a classic is a personal choice.

I don't base my opinions on CDs off what other people think of it.

roaches

Young Jeezy has not and never will drop a classic album, by any standards or qualifiers.
Then you must not know how to read, because right before I mentioned his album I gave a definition by which he DID drop a classic album. Sorry.

Shouldn't there be some sort of level of quality.
Sure. My definition places quality in the hands of the people. What's a better way of doing it?

If based on your definition The Massacre would be taking Get Rich or Die Tryin' place. Everyone who was supposed to hear it heard it
I've never heard anyone randomly bumping "Gatman and Robbin" or "A Baltimore Love Thing", but I did hear "Poor Lil Rich" (is that what it was called?) and that joint with Eminem and Lloyd Banks.

Album sales aren't relevant to my definition. Quick, name five songs off Vanilla Ice's first LP.

[quoteJust cus a lot of people know it doesn't make it classic.[/quote]Sure... by your definition. Which you should explain to us, if it's better.

Just because everyone had heard it, doesn't make an album a classic. Seriously everyone heard "Been There Done That", but The Aftermath isn't a classic album. I think a classic album can be dictated by sales, sales years after the album is released. The Chronic, Doggystyle, All Eyez on Me....these albums are still selling today. I guarantee 14 years from now, nobody will be buying Thug Motivation.

whether or not something is a classic or not is in the eyes of a beholded. we all think 2pac in his prime put out classic albums but not everyone feels that way. i think me against the world, aeom and makaveli were all classics but i'm sure many people who like rap would argue on that too. sure people throw the word around a lot lately but of course we wont all agree. some people hate the chronic albums and some hate doggy style, some hate jayz's stuff. it's all a matter of opinion.

shuba said:
classic: iconic, a perfect representation of the genre, remembered for its place in the lifeline/history of its genre.

umm...and? i know the definition but that still doesnt change the fact that everyone doesnt agree on it. not everyone who loves the old rock and roll loves elvis. and his stuff is concidered classic. not everyone loves the classics by the beatles. the point to my comments is that people throw the word around in the boards because they believe game's album or snoops or whoever elses is classic. and maybe in a few years it still will be that to them. just like people including myself concider that list of albums that recieved 5 mic or XXL albums classic. but everyone doesnt have to agree. thats what makes music good. because people will agrue about it's right to be called classic no matter who puts the cd out. if there wasnt any arguement then no one would really care as much:thumb:

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.