Classic?

Over the last several weeks along several different forums, there has been an inordinate amount of people throwing around the term "classic". It really got me to thinking, what was the last REAL classic album that came out? In my opinion not one album this year as yet climbed even near classic status. Just looking for peoples opinion on the matter.

I don't know what to think,it's all a matter of opinion really.Some classic albums in my mind are 2 pac-all eyez on me,Dr.Dre-the chronic and Snoop Dogg-doggystyle

Well "Doctor's Advocate" is the newest and latest classic imo. People on the net will hate on it: because of his:

1) Character/persona,
2) The artists is mainstream. And most of the net likes underground or force themselves to like what is not popular just to go against the masses, and
3) Because it's new and most people are hesitant to give new material from a new artists it's props.

At this moment, people might be hesitant to label it classic but in a few years, I guarantee you that Doctor's Advocate will be among one of hip hop's classic albums.

The Latest classics from the past few years imo are:
Beanie Siegal-The B.Coming
Jay-Z-BluePrint
Game-Documentary
2Pac-Better Dayz

© said:
Better Days is not classic. Neither is documentary.
Bombsquad said:
The Latest classics from the past few years imo are:
Beanie Siegal-The B.Coming
Jay-Z-BluePrint
Game-Documentary
2Pac-Better Dayz
What don't you understand about imo?

Or should I break it down exclusively for you-IN MY OPINION

What I meant was Until The End of Time. Got them mixed up anyway. Doesn't matter. Both are still very good and solid releases.

Cooper

Bombsquad said:
What don't you understand about imo?

Or should I break it down exclusively for you-IN MY OPINION

What I meant was Until The End of Time. Got them mixed up anyway. Doesn't matter. Both are still very good and solid releases.
I was posting my opinion. Everything I post on here is my opinion. I just don't feel the need to drop IMO at the end of everypost. Fair enough if u think they classic, wasn't tryna shit on you.

S O F I said:
You guys don't know what classic means. Let's define classic first.

That is what I am looking for, we need to clarify. You start talking about All Eyez On Me and The Chronic, I don't think a classic album has dropped in years.

roaches

For me, classic = everyone who should have has heard it, knows it.

On a general level, that means the last two classic albums in hip-hop were:
* Young Jeezy's first album
* Get Rich or Die Trying

I like my definition because of the "everyone who should have" part. I don't expect Leroy from Mid-City to know The Cold Vein, but I still consider that a classic album because everyone in the target audience is familiar with it.

roaches said:

* Get Rich or Die Trying

I like my definition because of the "everyone who should have" part. I don't expect Leroy from Mid-City to know The Cold Vein, but I still consider that a classic album because everyone in the target audience is familiar with it.
worded well.

Some people, especially on this site, forget exactly how huge 50 was when he blew up in '02/'03...not only mainstream but with real hip-hop fans. Some of this has been masked by other things that have gone down since then, but whatever. As for Jeezy that was a classic, regardless if you personally liked it or not. A lot of you cats are from England and shyt, not that there is anything wrong with that, but if you come over here and are in the hood (especially when Thug Motivation dropped) you would know that it was a classic.

ARon

roaches said:

* Get Rich or Die Trying

I dont like that definition at all. Shouldn't there be some sort of level of quality. If based on your definition The Massacre would be taking Get Rich or Die Tryin' place. Everyone who was supposed to hear it heard it, all 2.1 million of em the first week or whatever it was. I might be nit picking but I dont agree with that at all. Just cus a lot of people know it doesn't make it classic.

linx

Staff member
When I think of a classic album, I think of a few different things. First of all, whether or not the album is one you can replay. If it has good replay value, that's a huge plus. Also, the production on the album is very important. Then the overall quality of the songs. I don't consider many albums classic though. Albums like Illmatic, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Doggystyle, Strictly Business and more all have dope production and I can play them without skipping tracks. To me, that's when an album becomes classic. It doesn't matter to me whether the artist is known or not. If I know it's an album I can play years later, then that's definitely gotta mean something.

As far as the last classic album(s), i'm not really sure. Haven't thought about that. Common's "BE" is a definite stand out. As is the Roots "Game Theory". Game's "Doctor's Advocate" was really good in my opinion too. Little Brother's "Minstrel Show" I REALLY enjoyed as well. Can't really think of anything else off the top of my head though. I don't know if I would call any of those albums I just named classic, but they're all great albums.

People really do use the word too much though. There's a difference between a good album, a really good album and a classic album. People have to realize that.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.