Be.

7 Syns

Who here believes Be. by Common is still the classic they said it was last year? It's without a doubt a great album, the musical atmosphere of the record sounds really alive and lush. Com's rhymes have sense and maturity (what you'd expect from him), delivering novels like 'The Corner'.

However even though there's no real reason to not herald Be. as a classic, I think it does need some more time to pass by before I say "Be.? By Common? Yeah that shit is pure in pure a hip-hop classic.

Drop your op's.

peace.

I think the album became a classic in my collection the day it dropped. While hip hop is more and more filled with bullshit bling bling 'songs', Common showed a light at the end of the tunnel with this amazing record. With no fillers on the album, and a lasting theme on the production through the record, it makes it easy to just sit down (or stand up) and feel the love for this music of ours through it's entire 42 minutes and 39 seconds. And I love the fact that the album is that short. We do not need any filler songs to ruin this album, but rather just put it on repeat and feel the love again.

Common - Be = 5 Stars from me

MC Pappa said:
Stop whatever you are doing, put your shoes on, grab your wallet and run to the nearest record store...i think you can figure out the rest :)
My shoes are already on, I don't own a wallet, and all record stores are closed at 5:45 AM.

[highlight]*opens up Limewire*[/highlight]

Da_Funk

Lol a classic? Its a solid album no doubt, but no where near a classic. A classic is something like illmatic, only built 4 cuban linx or The 7 day theory. Be can't even begin to touch those albums.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Da_Funk said:
Lol a classic? Its a solid album no doubt, but no where near a classic. A classic is something like illmatic, only built 4 cuban linx or The 7 day theory. Be can't even begin to touch those albums.

1 of very few albums that received a XXL and 5 mics rating.

Dante

Meyer & Dante Best Friends4eva
i liked it, but i gotta say it's my least favorite common album... i thought that he tried a little too hard to be deep on this record, and to be honest, his voice is starting to kind of bother me. i was a huge fan of can i borrow a dollar, and resurrection was a classic, but he started declining a little for me and the chocolate album was one that i didn't really care for overall. be was a bit too kanye-ish for me, and while i appreciate that common didn't get all blinged out when everyone else did, i just wasn't captivated by anything on the record. glad he's around, but i still miss common sense.

"Be" IS a classic album, it's an album that stands out in today's Hip-Hop. It's not like everyother Hi-Hop album. In Be there's storytelling, messages about life, faith, love. In my eyes it's a complete album no filler tracks and I can't wait for "Finding Forever."

ARon

From readin responses the one reason I see coming up over and over is he dropped this when everyone else is doin the bling bling thing. So if he dropped this mid 90's would you still think it is a classic?

Bobby Sands

Originally Posted by TCD
I don't really want to turn the flow of the thread but imo...
Be>>>>> The 7 Day Theory
What had that got to do with it?Stop looking for attention.There are a lot of albums that are better than Be and Be is better than alot of albums.I cant see why u had to bring up Makaveli DK 7 Theory..

I dont like Be because i find Common to be insufferably boring.Yes the production is nice and Commons a great lyricist but he sounds too boring.

Da_Funk

Aristotle said:
From readin responses the one reason I see coming up over and over is he dropped this when everyone else is doin the bling bling thing. So if he dropped this mid 90's would you still think it is a classic?
Exactly. He dropped a solid album in the midst of a bunch of bullshit. Does that make it a classic album? No.

AmerikazMost

The only reason Be is considered a classic is because of the time it was dropped. Honestly, how many albums from 2005 (hell, even all the way back to 2002) are worthy of "classic" discussion? It's a great album - and I'd say a must have for any collection - but it's too early to say whether or not it's a classic.

7 Syns

I think Be. is a very similar album to O.C's "Word... Life". The way it plays out, with stories and pure emcing combined over great instrumentals. And like "Word... Life" people won't see Be. as a classic for a few years.

Because when "Word... Life" dropped, no one said it was a classic. Just a dope record that came out in a great year, now 10+ years past most hip-hop heads say it's a classic through and through including me.

Just a comparison Im sure no one wouldve made.

peace.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.