Backpack and Underground rap or just crap?

Rukas said:
I never said it was neat, but I do think theres styles of rap that are just underground and fall into that catagory -- maybe they will cross over or not, but right now they are still underground. I mean Horrorcore probably got close to crossing over with Gravediggaz but it never did, it never went commercial, so I classify it as underground, its not on MTV which is what I consider commercial to be. Same with backpack, its not hugely commercial although you have artists like Kanye West or whatever that are sort of borderline, but you dont exactly get backpack rap mentioned the same as gangsta or crunk rap in the mainstream.

Id love to read something more indepth about the issue from you once your exams are done, either in an article or on here.

Anyway, I wasnt attacking the style or those that partake in it, I feel you sort of jumped on the defensive there. I was just venting, on rappers who say "oh we dont sell because we are underground," or "oh we dont sell because we are backpack," but what it comes down to is they dont sell because they SUCK. Not saying that all horrorcore or backpack rappers suck, they dont, but I think sometimes MCs use "underground" as a cover up, that they just didnt have what it takes to go the distance in their career.

Did you ever check out RA's album? Worth checking out? And Necro's got linke 3 months left to release 5 albums lol, I dont like dudes lyrics but hes a dope producer.
...I dunno if you meant it sucked but uhh ruggedmanz album was pretty dope.ennuh pysho logical released mad albums last year...So question...Who do you talk about when you say ''rappers who say "oh we dont sell because we are underground," or "oh we dont sell because we are backpack," but what it comes down to is they dont sell because they SUCK. ''?

Rukas said:
To me underground rap is a style, like Chino XL said, underground rap is about the verses, commercial rap is about the hooks.

And as E Double said, Shock G gave a nice definition of backpack rap:

"Backpack-Rapper (n.) An emcee who limits his focus to non-violent,
non-sexist, non-material, non-threatening, politically-correct, college,
freestyle hip-hop only."

But I agree with you, backpack rap is what backpackers listen to or do, that doesnt mean that its not a style of its own, as it is influnenced by the backpackers style of living and thought.

so true :thumb: espcailly the freestyle part.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Chronic said:
Does that make it a style of rap though? Doesn't that just mean there's a different emphasis?

Yeah I think it does make it a different style.

By definition style means:

1. The way in which something is said, done, expressed, or performed: a style of speech and writing.

So I think if the emphasis is on a different aspect of expression, real verses vs. catchy hooks, thats a different style all together. Its still the same art form, just a different part of the brain like Chino said, a different way of doing the music, which to me at least, implys a different style. If you dont agree with that definition then we're both wrong, or both right :D.

Chronic

What do mean by 'real' verses?

What if someone puts the same emphasis on the chorus and the verses? What if someone only puts emphasis on the verses but only talks about things that are considered 'commercial'?
If you have two MC's who do the exact same thing, only one is on an independent label while the other is on a major label and known by everyone, then who is underground and who is commercial?

If you're going to divide rap into 'commercial' and 'underground' you should have better definitions than 'underground rap has real verses and puts emphasis on verse' and 'commercial rap has catchy hooks.

Also wouldn't you be able to label everything a style?
"Rollout (My Business)" by Ludacris is a humorous track. Humor rap?
Luda's verse in "Stomp" is aggressive. Aggressive rap? He's also beefing. Beef rap?
A rapper puts emphasis on multi's. Multi rap?

Chronic said:
What do mean by 'real' verses?

What if someone puts the same emphasis on the chorus and the verses? What if someone only puts emphasis on the verses but only talks about things that are considered 'commercial'?
If you have two MC's who do the exact same thing, only one is on an independent label while the other is on a major label and known by everyone, then who is underground and who is commercial?

If you're going to divide rap into 'commercial' and 'underground' you should have better definitions than 'underground rap has real verses and puts emphasis on verse' and 'commercial rap has catchy hooks.

Also wouldn't you be able to label everything a style?
"Rollout (My Business)" by Ludacris is a humorous track. Humor rap?
Luda's verse in "Stomp" is aggressive. Aggressive rap? He's also beefing. Beef rap?
A rapper puts emphasis on multi's. Multi rap?

real verse could be anythign which is true, and just cuz its underground labeled doesnt necassrliy mean tha artist is keeping it real. I think by real maybe he means thought provoking, as in something thats deep, but then again what do you conside deep?Thought Provoking? But basically if you think aggressive rap most people would say gangsta/hardcore rap which was a known (still is) sub genre of hip-hop as well as beef could be listed under that, And humerous could be well titled as hip-"pop"(music made to be funny/radio).

This is a good debate, got my brain itching, definatly whats needed more of in this forum.Now thats keepin it real :thumb:

roaches

I mean, chorus/hook-oriented music is the definition of all pop music in general, not just mainstream hip-hop. And if we're going to say that that's the difference between popular and underground rap, well, is Method Man and Redman's "Da Rockwilder" underground hip-hop then? Were Lil Jon & the Eastside Boyz making mainstream/commercial hip-hop back in 1997, 2000, before they blew up? What about bass hip-hop and bounce music as a whole, are they in their entirety commercial/mainstream hip-hop?

Add in rappers like 50 Cent, who write their verses the same way they write choruses, and... well, this definition has problems. That's what happens when we decide to overcomplicate things, I guess.

maybe just maybe....you should totally ignore the line between underground rap and mainstream and than maybe just maybe you will come to the conclusion they all just make music..And theres different types of ppl who are into it and different styles different beats different emcees but its all music...Thats how I look at it..so when ppl say cannibal Ox is that real hip hop and joe budden is that real hip hop I can agree with both...
But ya know there is sumthing I like about this thread...I like it when ppl criticize underground rap too...cuz underground cats always got shit to say about mainstream rap...thats pretty stupid cuz they all make music...

one mc on dj said:
maybe just maybe....you should totally ignore the line between underground rap and mainstream and than maybe just maybe you will come to the conclusion they all just make music..And theres different types of ppl who are into it and different styles different beats different emcees but its all music...Thats how I look at it..so when ppl say cannibal Ox is that real hip hop and joe budden is that real hip hop I can agree with both...
But ya know there is sumthing I like about this thread...I like it when ppl criticize underground rap too...cuz underground cats always got shit to say about mainstream rap...thats pretty stupid cuz they all make music...

well lets just face the facts...most underground MCS are just plain bullshit and lame, and most of them are only popular cuz kids(white,black,skater,rasta) want to follow something that isnt played on the radio. It sucks though cuz to say that a Emenim, Jay-Z, 2pac,Biggie,Nas, etc.. dont have the skills of an atmopsher or Sage Francis is bogus. Most them cats underground cuz they aint good enough to make it out of there, trust me on this too, they might talk shit bout mainstream but how many of them wouldnt jump at the chance to make millions upon millions of dollars?? They be damn fools if they didnt jump at the chance.

its hard to say, but to me there are two types of hip-hop, and thats music in general. Good and bad, which is which is up to you (the consumer).

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.