A Real Dilemna

I didn't know where to put this, so I figured I"d put it here, if the mods want it moved, do so.

My boy on the Detroit scene ReRun has been wanting me to spit a 16 on his record for a while now. So... last Sunday.. we hooked up at his homeboy Pace's house. Now.. for those that aren't up on the Detroit scene.. Pace has been around. He grew up with Proof and was very close with Proof... Pace even helped to ghost write a lot of the beats on Hand 2 Hand and Searching For... he's worked with Em, D12.. and a slew of people who are big in Detroit, but not nationally.

So, Sunday we go to record. I start spittin' my verse (which was on some peace tip) and Pace stops me in the both about 6 bars into my verse and is like "dude, I respect you all, but that shit ain't gonna work for this song. That's some poetry you wrote, we're not here to make poetry, we're here to make hits... music that people wanna dance to".

My response to that was "well, I respect that and all, but I ain't here to rap about shit I didn't write. This is what I wrote, this is what I'm about today". So, then, he lets me keep the first half of my verse, which like I said... was all on some peace shit.. then the second half of it he has me killin people and puttin them in body bags. That ain't my thing... AT ALL.

But... I didn't say shit because this is fucking Pace... he's been around, so he knows what he's doing... and on the other side... I wasn't there for me... I was there for my homie... so I just let Pace go ahead and change the lyrics to whatever he wanted and spit them to get it over with.

But... for the other rappers in here... what do you do in that situation? You don't wanna disrespect the producer, especially one of that caliber... but you also don't wanna spit some shit that just don't fit you.

I won't switch my style because of nobody. You gotta respect yourself at the first place. You can learn from more experienced but you must know where are the boundaries of influence.

Well, and see, the other thing is... we all had a creative energy... but nobody was on the same page. Which, myself and Pace's wife kept pointing out.. but nobody was listening.

When I got the beat, I said to my boy "what do you want me to write about? What's the message structure for the beat you want?". He said to me "I don't care... just write whatever you want".

Well, when we hit the studio... Myself... like I said... I had a 16 written about making peace in the game... Part of my verse: "this aint the way things were supposed to be/ this is supposed to be a vehicle for expression, see/ but beef is so exquisite finanically/ look at the situation we got with Pac and Big/ Ja and Em/ now look how many records beef sold for them".

Then, the second half of my verse he has me spitting this shit like "Pull ya strap/ make them fuckin' bitches bleed/ ya moms'll be lucky if they don't snatch up yo cash/ have ya carcass assed out and stranded on blast"... completely different from the start of the verse.

Then... the first guy on the track, Paul Bunyon... he was on some Beastie's/Run DMC type shit... then my boy ReRun was on some muder shit. Combine that all together,a nd you have Pace writin a hook that's saying "We keep it pimp bitch, we on the grind/ you bitch ass tricks ain't fuckin' with mine"...

*throws hands up* I onno... I just figured a guy like Pace would have a little bit better of a structure for creating the song.

Casey

Staff member
Next time, have a whole bunch of different rhymes with you and then you can just spit the one that fits the track best. I don't know how fast you write, but I would have just written something else on the spot.

Militant said:
Next time, have a whole bunch of different rhymes with you and then you can just spit the one that fits the track best. I don't know how fast you write, but I would have just written something else on the spot.
dude... I got VAULTS AND VAULTS of shit. I have like 15 songs done lyrically on my website and I've only recorded 2 of 'em.

Plus... I literally have about 15 notebooks here at the crib with stray verses and shit.

I can usually write somethign decent, if pushed, in about 15-20 minutes.

Problem is, a lot of my vault shit I don't have memorized. And... I don't write too much shit like that "shoot 'em up, kill 'em" shit at all, cuz that ain't me.

troublesome2004 said:
Basically, you didn't want to ruin your friend's creation and didn't want to question man of such reputation. It happens. Be more stubborn next time. :)
:thumb: EXACTAMUNDO!

Well, next time I'll be more prepared.

_carmi

me, myself & us
you shouldnt let anybody make you do something that aint you. if you aint aight with it, you dont do it. of course you had some sort of pressure and on the spot you did whatever you was told. but if you respect what you do, then dont change a bit for somebody else.

EDouble

Will suck off black men for a dime
i think that you should go in and drop whats appropriate for the track and if its not some shit u could get with with you in the position u are and position other man is, then i would have said i wouldnt do the track; hook up do another one. cause its one thing to try not to show disrespect or seem ungrateful but another to throw that out and lay shit down someone else tells u to lay down like its purely a favor to u and ur a puppet whos just out chillin or somethin

EDouble

Will suck off black men for a dime
LMAO i just read one of your posts up bam and how that verse is split is funny as hell. yeah obviously that shits not cool
and obviously folks should of been on the same page lol

2PacThug4Life said:
That verse is funny. It's all peaceful then all of a sudden it's like, kill yo motha, sucka.

I say, be true to yourself.
LOL... exactly. And see, the second half that I wrote that Pace cut out and re-wrote himself... MY VERSE had the guy in question (whoever you want it to be) getting killed himself because he had too much pride and had "something to prove"...

But Pace flipped the script and obviously has the dude killing someone else and being hard... and that ain't what the point of the OG verse was about... AT ALL.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.