2Pac Dubbed "The Most Overrated Artist" By Blender Magazine

Rahim

VIP Member
Staff member
Apparently the staff at Blender Magazine aren't big fans of Tupac Shakur as they have voted him the "most overrated person in music" in their October issue which hits news stands next week.

Apart from Tupac they also listed other overrated artists, places and trends in music but 'Pac topped their list.

They did acknowledge that he was a decent rapper with "insane rock-star charisma," but they say he also "larded records with self-mythologizing, mediocre filler."

One has to wonder how much of the "mediocre filler" is a direct result of poorly executed posthumous albums and remixes released by his estate in recent years. Are they damaging his image and legacy? Drop your comments below and let us know what you think.

Rock group Pink Floyd and "The Grammy Awards" are also mentioned on the list.

L

LastVoice.com

This is nothing more then a ploy by Blender to generate interest in their piece of shit magazine.

Snowman

Blender would know great music if it hit em in the face. the same magazine that thinks Britney Spears is the greatest singer of all time.

Snowman

when blender started out as a magazine, i had a subscription to em. they had a story with britney voted as the best of all time.

i made a typo. *wouldnt know great music if it hit em in the face*.

H

hdll

Fcuk em'

They definitely do not know what rap is, or who PAC was and is. I agree that it is simply to sell magazines, whether it is to regulars, or those like us who do not agree. So ensure you do not fall for this ploy, and do not buy their magazine. Now, or in the future, for this capitalist use of PAC's legacy.

M

mozee

are you kidding?

this is jus' what is called a "publicity stunt" by whatever magazine that is that I never heard of. and my advice is to keep them in their cave unheard of by not minding their idiotic stunts.

2pac, most UNDERRATED artist of all time

First off let's state the obvious, this is clearly a way to generate magazine sales. 2pac was a workhorse, a genius amongst fools, and a god amongst men. It's quite obvious there isn't a better rapper out there. I was quite angered to read about what blender had printed. I am probably the biggest 2pac fan out there, having owned every album, buying every piece of merchandise I can find, and even having a portrait of 2pac tattooed on my arm. The music he put out reached out to people, it motivated and inspired. He was far from being one dimensional as are most of these gangsta rappers today. Never has there been a more sampled rap artist. His legacy started before he was even born, his roots were being set with his mother during her time with the black panthers. If i was black I'd not only find this insulting to hip hop and rap, but to heritage and culture. Once you get past a rapper's hype and any club hit, what are they left with? In most cases nothing. He might not have had huge club hits, but what he possessed could not be generated in a studio. All his contributions will never be fully appreciated. I will be cancelling my subscription to blender.

raywaters11

lol well they sure are gettin attention from us...

they did, however, predict fifty would be the star he is a year before GRODT came out.

but this, i have to disagree with.

M

-MRC-

2pac is one of the greatest people to ever live, let alone being the most overrated artist, and sorry pink floyd fans, but they don't speak about real social issues like 2pac, so I take no offense to them being on there.
2pac is the greatest artist, the most powerful voice, the most intelligent poet, and is one of the greatest public speakers in american history, or all history for that matter.
This is just "case and point", that some fake ass rocker image gets more listeners as a whole, than someone that forces these idiots to think about real issues, like poverty, police brutality, life and death, overcoming any situation, and having the strength and intelligence to relay that message to the masses, which has made such an impact on the way I live my life, as a white person from the predominitely white state of NH.
You can't possibly be overrated, if you can change the life of just one person, and he has changed the lives of millions, it's too easy to make an outrageous statement for magazine sales, so I would love to hear them write an article in detail, who is more intellegent, who is a better writer of music and poetry, and who has made more of a lasting impact on the young and old people in countries all over the world.

B

bolo24@att.net

that's a bunch of bullshit , he is arguably one of the greatest rappers ever Pac would be rollin over in his grave right now fuck Blendre magazine

you know what? i don't agree that Pac is the most overrated rapper, but i see easily where they get that idea. people talk about Pac like he was God, a supreme being light years ahead of everyone else in the rap game. i love Pac but i acknowledge that he wasn't the best at every aspect of the game. his raps were basic, and on that basis alone i can think of many rappers who would kill Pac lyrically. the sad thing is that most people look at the rhymes when judging rappers and not what the words in the rhymes are, which is why i think so many people think he's overrated. so i can see where they are coming from with this, but i don't see why everyone is getting so offended about this, it's just an opinion. if that's what they think, then let them think it.

this is coming from a magazine that recently had Lil Wayne on the cover with the caption "the pill popping genius" wow lets promote drug use why don't we....real credible magazine i tell ya...fuck em

raywaters11

lmfao at the tupac extremists...

tupac greatest poet of all time
tupac changed my life and made me who i am

damn, we all love pac, but seriously, greatest poet of all time?

okay lets go on out and say he was the greatest activist of all time, fuck MLK and malcolm x. lets say he spoke for womens rights more than anyone, he did make dear mama and keep ya head up. lets say he's the best author of all time. lets say he's the best producer of all time. lets start a tupac religion!

get a life you damn losers.

rest in peace tupac.

H

Haroon Rashid

Overated? I think not.

Peace and blessings -

After reading some excerpts from the Blender Magazine article, I have to disagree with them rating Tupac Shakur as the most over-rated artist. People like Lil Wayne may be able to spit, and have swagger - people like 50 Cent may be able to base his whole music career on beef - or artists like Common, Mos Def and Talib may bring it with that socio-conscious rap - but none of these people were multi-faceted like Tupac SHakur. Pac was all of these artists put in ONE. not only did he have all the qualities of these folks - he was able to MOVE people. Not many artists today can do that...when I personally listen to Tupac, I could affiliate with some of the struggles he was portraying. Anger, sadness, happiness, love - he was pure emotion on all of his tracks. Everybody has MEDIOCRE tracks..but Tupac, even after his death, keeps giving us albums which I believe are better - even with the abuse of production through Amaru Records - than most of the artists today.

Tupac was real - That's the biggest thing that differentiates him fromt he artists today.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.