1994? is it considered old school?

i duno if im right for posting here,. but if im really into notorious big - ready to die and redman - dare iz a darkside
and i'm looking for more albums that have that funkadelic sound -- its just what im into right now,.. so if you have any suggestions for other albums.artists that'll be helpful..

VENOMOUS

On Probation: Please report any break in the guide
in a way it is old school,because in 94 rappers where saying the shit that came out in 84 and earlier old school shit and we are in 2005 now.Its been 11 years now.Also rakim came out in 88 or 89? ,he was considered old school by then 94 to.If you think about most the rappers from 94 are in there 30s now going to there 40s if they are not now.

VENOMOUS said:
in a way it is old school,because in 94 rappers where saying the shit that came out in 84 and earlier old school shit and we are in 2005 now.Its been 11 years now.
IMO Basically old School is B.C. (Before Chronic)

11 years in todays world seems like minutes.

VENOMOUS

but when i was your age thats the same thing i was saying but its still considered old school by todays standard and the chronic came out in 92 thats just 2 years prior to 94.Also most the rappers that came out in 94 came out in 92 or earlier.

VENOMOUS

Harry_potter said:
IMO Basically old School is B.C. (Before Chronic)

11 years in todays world seems like minutes.
Yeah but in 11 years a boy changes to a man 11 years is a long period of time .you werent even a teeny bopper 11 years ago.

Butt Rubber

More arrogant than SicC
to me, late 1993/early 1994 is the line between old and new school

theres alot of 93 cds that sound outdated, but alot of 94 cds sound rather recent. once Doggystyle came out everybody started sampling one beat per song more often while many cds before that would have 3-4 different samples on a song

or atleast thats just how I look at it

VENOMOUS said:
Yeah but in 11 years a boy changes to a man 11 years is a long period of time .you werent even a teeny bopper 11 years ago.
but you can not think of yourself as a guage for such things. it is old to you but in general it is not old school.

Bank Robber said:
to me, late 1993/early 1994 is the line between old and new school

theres alot of 93 cds that sound outdated, but alot of 94 cds sound rather recent. once Doggystyle came out everybody started sampling one beat per song more often while many cds before that would have 3-4 different samples on a song

or atleast thats just how I look at it
never thought about that but that is true, old Ice Cube shit for example would have a clutter of samples.

CalcuoCuchicheo said:
VENOMOUS my man, check the Old School thread, it is broken down there.

Old School is an era it is unaffected by how much time passes now.
yeah there is really "The Old School"(Grand Master Flash, Sugar Hill, Big Daddy Kane, ETC....) and "old school" where I could see you saying something like "2pacalypse now is old school" but not from "THE old School" Dig? lol

VENOMOUS

well the way i look at it everything is going to eventually get assimulated into the old school.But at the same time the old school is gonna have different era such as the golden age silver age,commercial age etc.

well in fact the oldshool isn' the year but the sound on da album wrath of the math from 1996 is oldshool too and in street's disciple there are a lot of songs that are real oldshool but not oldshool like the early eighty...

thats what im questioning, is there a sound that you are looking for,.
or is it strictly from an era of calculated time,
after 1989 thats the cut off, and albums are then "new school" or whatever you want to label it as

wouldn't it be categorically correct to relabel old school as the golden age of rap/hiphop

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.