young maylay

I've only heard 3 or 4 songs from him, the "San Andreas Freestyle" is a hot track. He's a little on the predictable side, but he's from the West, and he's working w/ DJ Pooh, so I'll definitely give him a chance.

What "big time westcoast rappers" do you mean? How many are really left, I mean ones who really are still heavy in the rap game? For some reason I don't think Maylay and The Game are hooking up anytime soon. Like roaches said, Maylay IS working with DJ Pooh, who's pretty connected in the West scene (I have no idea if Pooh and Snoop are still tight, though), and King T is on a couple tracks, as is Bad Azz. Truthfully, the West is still so scattered, that if he hadn't landed the GTA:San Andreas gig, none of us would have heard much from him.

ye i gotta back u up on tha one!! he was on tha underground for a while..or nah tha long b4 he came out wit tha san andreas shit as he says it...i jus honestly havent bin hearin much stuff frum tha westcoast for a while...i mean dun get mad or nuthin if u r frum tha west buh it jus aint as alive as it used 2 b! :S shit its so tuff 2 explain...buh i need to listen to sum hardcore rap bout shit thaz real..shit thaz affectin us all as a whole..u know?? and ive only bin hearin good music frum tha west since i did grow up listenin to Tupac and Eazy-E and ppl like tha! nah ne of this glorifying sex, money, drugs bullshit tha is evrywhere now!! damn it pisses me off!!!!!! I jus hope tha young maylay doesnt end up bein fake like all them other newskool rappers. *cough* 50 cent *cough* lol

Living on the West Coast for the last, damn, about a dozen years or so, I do feel like I need to give these New West cats a chance first, just out of respect for how goddamn KILLER the West rap game was back in the early to mid 90's. Like Marvin & Stevie's experimental phase of the early 70's where they hit nothing but gold, THAT's how the Cali game was from '91-'96. Beat-wise, golden. Rolling grooves, fat, sub-heavy basslines, Synths used to create melodies that still can't be topped by anybody today. Lyric-wise, no not as complex as what the East was coming with at the time with Wu, Big, Nas and others, but the intensity of early Death Row Kurupt (one of the most venomous voices and styles of flow was Kurupt from Chronic-to-Dogg Food), the booming from-the-gut style of 'Pac '95-'96, Deep Cover to Doggystyle Snoop at his hungriest, not to mention early E-40, Dru Down and 4-Tay with their smooth, almost hypnotic flows, proved that while the East takes the crown for lyrical intelligence, nobody could "ride" a beat like a 90's-era West MC.

Maylay is not the second coming of any of the greats from the West, but there isn't really anybody coming from the New West that reminds me of greatness, except Crooked I flow-wise. He can at times sound like a hungry, intense MC, but beat-wise, he still lacks ("Boom Boom Clap" was good, though). The "West sound" has been watered down, played out, and pretty much chopped up and stolen piece-by-piece by the East and the South over the last 7-8 years. You can hear claps, talkbox, pieces of early West-style synth in East (IE 50 Cent) beats now, high-pitched synth whistles, and bell sounds in South beats.

Where the hell am I going with this? WTF does this have to do with Maylay? My bad, I kinda went off on a little tangent, but what I'm saying is, nobody from this new class can bring the West back, or reinvent the West sound, not Maylay, not Game, not whatever-the-fuck the Hyphy movement is trying to do up in the Bay, because the hunger is gone, there's no Snoops, no Kurupts, definitely no 'Pacs. If things really do go in cycles, and it's finally the West's turn again soon, that's what needs to happen. The hunger needs to come back, it doesn't have to be all gangbangin', though, that's what needs to lyrically change, or at least evolve. Even though it still happens, it doesn't grab attention like it did back when Death Row exploded, ripped into the mainstream, in turn flooding the market with Red & Blue, khakis & Chucks, impalas, and everything associated with the West at that particular time. If you're living that life, and you wanna rap about what's real to you, great, but you're a decade too late if you want to hold an audience.

Bling left a few years ago, Crunk is just about over with, and every rapper's fucking OBSESSION with the club, goin' 2 tha club, up in tha club, has lost it's energy. If somebody would just come the fuck along from Inglewood, from Long Beach, from Compton, from Carson, from fucking Oakland for all I care, with a hungry Rocky-like intensity about him, he could possibly take the game over single-handedly. Game only made it because Dre is pretty much Midas (sales and exposure-wise, his production skills are almost non-existant compared to his DR days, but then again, who knows how much of that was all-Dre anyway, I guarantee Soopafly, Quik, and especially Daz had a big hand in molding Dre's "legendary" image, but that's a WHOLE 'nother thread), and he piggybacked on 50's fame at the time. I really like Game, but he's not the answer.

Neither is Maylay, but I like him too, though.

If anybody read this whole thing and want to know what I'm talking about, the "hunger", watch Death Row's 1995 performance at the Source Awards (Dre, Daz & Kurupt, Lady of Rage, Nate, Sam Sneed, Quik, and Snoop), or go out and buy The Show (1994 hip-hop doc, produced by Def Jam/Russell Simmons), rereleased on DVD recently, and watch the concert footage of The Dogg Pound. That's hunger. That's hip-hop. That's the fucking West.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.