Young Black Brotha Records

I have been bumping the 90s catalogue of Young Black Brotha Records quite a lot recently and I was reminded why Khayree is up there in terms of my favorite all-time producers. Someone who really only samples drums and uses live instrumentation a majority of the time and doesn't sound wack deserves my praise. I guess the most significant thing that this label has spawned is Mac Dre, with the 1993 album Young Black Brotha, but I guess considering this is a 2Pac board, Mac Dre and Ray Luv (Illegal Business? & Forever Hustlin') would be considered far more relevant.

I haven't heard anything Khayree has released since what (if I remember right) was Mac Mall's sophomore effort, it looks like it was another casualty of the shift of perspective from the West at the end of the 90s, and appears to have drifted into relative irrelevance.

Anybody else ever a fan of these albums or maybe Young Lay's Black N Dangerous, they certainly were bringing some heat in the early-to-mid-90s.

Bio from http://www.youngblackbrotha.com/
In 1988 a record producer by the name of Khayree Shaheed started a record company by the name of Strictly Business Records (SBR). He had several different Business partners, which eventually became Khayree, Renald Powers & Rick Nelson the 3 would release their 1st record "The Game Is Thick" in 1989 on an artist by the name of The Mac aka Michael Robinson.
In 1990 SBR would follow up with their next artist Mac Dre with a song entitled "Too Hard For The Fuckin Radio". In 1991 SBR would release their 1st song to get heavy Bay Area air play "Get My $$ Money On' by the artist Ray Luv.

In late 1992 Khayree departed from SBR to start his own label Young Black Brotha Records (YBB). YBBs 1st artist was a young 16 year old rap artist named Mac Mall. His 1st Album"Illegal Business" gained critical acclaim from the streets the clubs and local radio. Managed by Leila Steinberg Mac Mall quickly began to rise. His 1st single " Sic Wit Tis" Produced by Khayree quickly became and still is an underground classic. Mac Malls 2nd single Ghetto Theme a song encouraging young African American males to stop killing ourselves was an anthem from Calif to NY. The video was directed by and Co Starred none other than Tupac Shakur. This was the 1st video Pac ever directed.

The next artist released on YBB was former SBR recording artist Ray Luv. Ray released the classic album "Forever Hustlin". Ray and Tupac were formally in the same group 'Strictly Dope' managed by Leila Steinberg. Leila also managed Ray Luv. Songs from Forever Hustlin include 'In The Game" Take a Ride with The Luvva man" produced by Mike Mosley" and Still Smokin Indo" a song about the Consequences of black on black violence.

Next was the artist Young Lay who's debut CD " Black & Dangerous" was another YBB classic CD release. It spawned the hits " All about my $Fetti" which was on the Spike Lee & Nick Gomez film " New Jersey Drive" and the smash song "Got 2 survive" featuring Tupac, Mac Mall & Ray Luv.

The next artist to release an album on YBB was Dubee AKA Sugawolf. His 1st YBB release was entitled " Dubee AKA Sugawolf. This CD is still his most popular work and a hit amongst underground rap fan. With songs such as the indo inspired " My Thang" and " That's What We Do" this CD etched its way into Bay Area rap history.

Lok

He dropped quite a few compilations. I think he just re-released one of them. But yeah, YBB did have a lot of bangers, Dubee had a few dope LPs, Young Lay was always my favorite (altough I liked his second album much more than the first one).

And if you're a big Khayree fan, you should really check out "Young D Boyz - Straight Game" He produces a few tracks on there, which are all a banger, + it's a vallejo calssic, so you can't lose.

*Selling Them Thangz As Usual (Produced by Khayree)
*Much Love (produced by John Dillinger)
*Mr. Chronic (Prod. by Khayree)

Thanks a lot for the links, I had been looking for the "Selling Them Thangz As Usual" (BTW the beat is crazy) for a minute now. Is it a clean version or something of:

Lok

^It's the single that dropped before the LP. It has the original mix (the one I posted is better), instrumental & a couple of other joints I don't really remember.
This is the actual album:

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.