Xzibit - the proverbial underachiever ?

DPG iz all I C

So i'm going to see Xzibit on the 15th of June and i've been sitting here listening to some of his tracks and its got me thinking, is X the proverbial underacheiver ?

Now before people start jumping on this thread and screaming Pimp My Ride etc i'm talking strictly music only.

So it all started back in 1996 when Xzibit dropped At the Speed of life and then 40 Days and 40 nights in 1998. Both of these albums were held in high esteem with hip hop heads but neither gained notable commercial success, then he dropped Restless which propelled him into the limelight. This was down to the album containing more "commercial" beats. Even in this album X still kept up his tight rhymes.

Since then he has focused a lot on his TV and film career while still making music. He has released 3 albums since then "Man vs Machine", "Weapons of Mass Destruction" and "Full Circle". While these albums have all been decent none of them have lived up to his 1st 3 albums. But the thing is throughout these albums there are certain songs which show that X has not lost it.

So has he became raps main underacheiver or has be became too involved in TV and film to but his heart and soul in to making a complete album.

Discuss.

P.S - decided to post this because whill Our Block has started to become more popular, Steethop has been sort of quiet. We need more people to actively discuss hip hop and break down what they like and don't like. Don't just say "yeah he's tight" or "propz".

:)

Bobby Sands

I like At The Speed of Life the best.Very good album imo.40 Days + 40 Nights is good.Restless is decent but the rest is poor with the exception of some songs.

tHuG $TyLe

Staff member
Well, I loved his first 3 albums, but his latest offerings have been passable, I wasn't that big a fan of Full Circle and Man vs Machine had alot of average songs.

_carmi

me, myself & us
as you said, he isn't focused on music like he was before. you can see that his 3 first albums there's a lot of effort put in and in his 3 last, there is some songs where it shows he still has the talent but didnt put the effort.

linx

Staff member
Xzibit has always been dope to me. Definitely one of the better westcoast rappers. To me that's a damn fact. At The Speed Of Life is very dope and the couple after that are dope as well.

Im going to see him in Dublin on the 16th. Always been a fan of X, i can udnerstand people saying his first 3 albums were a lot better than what followed but i still enjoy every album he's put out. Man V Machine had some nice tracks like Heart of Man, Choke Me, Spank Me........(gotta admit its tight the way he flows on that) etc. W.O.M.D i thought was an underrated album, some great beats on it and tracks like Klack, Beware of Us and Tough Guy were all tight tracks.

Gotta say i really enjoyed Full Circle as well, i think Thank You is one of the best tracks X has ever done, that piano and those lyrics stick in your head for days after listening to it. Nice twist on the whole police subject on Rampart Division, Black and Brown, and Scandalous Bitches, you could have added to that Invade My Space if Jellyroll hadnt messed up the production with putting the hook over the fast part of the beat.

Looking forward to X in Dublin though, should be a great show

i've always thought X was one of the most underrated in the business, and i really liked Man Vs. Machine and WOMD, although i didn't like the last one at all. like it's been said, his first 3 albums are straight classics.

THEV1LL4N

Xzibit has inked a deal with Australian record label Illusive. The rapper will release his album Full Circle in the country independently, according to The Herald Sun. "I am in total control of every aspect of my career," said Xzibit, who is currently in talks to host a new season of the hit MTV series, Pimp My Ride. "Even though the popularity of my film and television career have taken off, it doesn't mean I have to make music to appeal to that audience." According to Xzibit, the new album features production by legendary Bomb Squad producer, Keith Shocklee. "I've worked with Dre and Timbaland. I've worked with a lot of different producers, but there is a special place in my heart for the Bomb Squad," Xzibit said. The rapper is scheduled to perform at the Metro in Melbourne, Australia on June 29.

(Source 1: www.shadybase.com)
(Source 2: http://www.rapbasement.com/content/view/2852/35/)

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.