XXL proclaims Lil Wayne "Best Rapper Alive"

ARon

I can see why someone would say that, I dont really agree but whatever. Dude does put in work though. Plus his style is crazy, and he realizes himself there is more than just sayin some complex lines or having a great message in every verse. He goes about it in his own way kind of and I like that.

Chronic

Should probably specify that Cash Money hating Hip-Hop purists (read stuck-up idiots) shouldn't answer.

Wayne is nice but no. The best rapper alive is MF DOOM.

roaches

Wayne in 2007 = DOOM 2003-4

by which I mean to say: Wayne in 2007 > DOOM in 2007

Or maybe not. I think I'm just angry because DOOM doesn't put anything out anymore.

The rest of the top 5 right now, imo:
* Aesop Rock
* Elzhi
* Pusha T

No one can RAP like these guys do.

I love how topics like these get started and everyone states their OWN opinions.... but no one remembers that one person's opinion isn't the national consensus of everyone else's opinions.. BECAUSE music affects each lister in their own individual way, so people listen for different reasons

I personally am a fan of Lil Wayne and i'm lookin forward to Tha Carter 3

btw, this magazine came out weeks ago, why the topic now?

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
The funny thing is, half the people that say no way or Weezy is garbage probably havent heard enough of his music to judge and simply hate on him for his look, the Lil in his name, and the fact he is on Cash Money.

I think XXL is talking about the whole package; skill, image, hype, flow, etc. In that regard, rappers like MF Doom or Aesop Rock (who I hate) cant compare because they dont have the hype and the fame surrounding them.

Its like saying the kid down the block is the illest rapper alive, but if no one knows about him, who cares; he's just another MC, not the dopest rapper.

Chronic

roaches said:
I think I'm just angry because DOOM doesn't put anything out anymore.
If all the rumors are true he'll come out with at least 5 albums, hopefully all this year. I don't mind the wait because Mental Illness will be the absolute shit.

Rukas said:
I think XXL is talking about the whole package; skill, image, hype, flow, etc.
Why would they?

I think Wayne is good and hot right now but i wouldnt say the best alive. the full package thing sounds right in the way that right now he just seems to be hitting people who wouldnt like his stuff from back before but hear it now and like it. he's got some real good lyrics in his stuff now that make me laugh and all that but i'm not even sure who i would say is the best alive so....

i dont see how anyone can state that "so and so, IS the best rapper alive" cuz all thats bullshit. Me personally, I cant even decide who i like the best, so i think making a statement like that is just retarded. Everyones got different tastes in hiphop, skills can be measured to a certain extent, but at the same time it depends on personal flavour and preference.

To me lil wayne is not the best, and he's not even in my top 50. but if certain ppl feel em more than others than great. MFdoom's another cat ppl give that Best title too, to me he's good, but again not the best... For me I have my days, certain times i feel person A is dope other times i'm feeling B or C, thats just the way it is. But porclaiming anybody is the best.. i dont know man, just is BS to me.

... but whatever man, some ppl are gonna let xxl tell em who the best is while others will let their ears be the judge, thats just how it is. I coudnt care less who XXL thinks is the best, next months issue will state otherwise anyways.

~peace

^ Really feel that post. There are alot of good rappers out there. A lot of slept on MC's and a lot of MC's that are just crammed down our throat's every single day.

If I had to vote for the best rapper alive it would be rakim.

Plus I really hate when people proclaim that they are the best at something. If you are the best at something it is univerisally recognized that you are the top dog. For example, Michael Jordan. (Why don't you just play these teams by yourself?)

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Chronic said:
Why would they?
Because magazines like XXL glorify stars. When has XXL ever put an artist on the cover that isnt a star? Thus the star factor is a requirement for their "best rapper alive" candidates.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.