Wiz Khalifa Made Me Love Rap Music Again

Prize Gotti

Boots N Cats
Staff member
For the last few years i've stayed away from Rap music, cos as we all know, rap music today is fucking shite. I started following more British Urban music like Grime, DnB and Dubstep.

Then a canadian friend presented me with Wiz. I heard his track Black & Yellow and thought it was fairly good, so I listened to some of his previous releases.

This guy deserves more props than he gets. His style, lyrics, beats and flow just take me back to the days I would sit in my room listening to NaS cds, when rap music had content.

I can't say I had stopped listening to rap but a few weeks ago my son (14yo) asked me to load Wiz onto his Ipod so I listened to it and I feel the same way you do, it's fresh to hear a new voice that has some talent to back it up...between Wiz and Diggy I have had a good 2 weeks of listening enjoyment.

Shadows

Wiz is a great artist. I even dig his slow songs: like "UP"

I can hear that ALL night, in fact, i DID. haha

I really wished he wasn't so tatted and skinny.

I feel like he needs a little better image to be able to sell records.

However, he's getting so popular, I don't think it matters anymore.

Wiz, Diggy, J.Cole...and yes, I'm going to say it, Drake and Nicki, = future hip-hop.

With the new kids coming out with good stuff, I hope Eminem, Slaughter House and a few old pioneers step up.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
For the last few years i've stayed away from Rap music, cos as we all know, rap music today is fucking shite. I started following more British Urban music like Grime, DnB and Dubstep.
I've been getting into Dubstep myself. I've been to a few local shows here, I dig it. No way in hell could it replace rap music. At best, a supplement. Again, best way to love dubstep is dub remixes of rap songs. I made a thread a while back, didn't get a lotta responses though.

Then a canadian friend presented me with Wiz. I heard his track Black & Yellow and thought it was fairly good, so I listened to some of his previous releases.

This guy deserves more props than he gets. His style, lyrics, beats and flow just take me back to the days I would sit in my room listening to NaS cds, when rap music had content.
Couple things.

1. Wiz has been around for quite a while. He's amassed quite a catalog as I'm sure you're aware now. When I first heard Black & Yellow, I thought it was annoying and deleted it off of my iTunes. When I heard it at the club later on and everybody seemed to know it (I was like, people KNOW who Wiz is? I've known about him since Big E said he was the next best thing with the "Say Yea" single in '07. He's switched his style up since then). I could see why black and yellow was being played but I still thought song was just OK.

2. I've heard a lot of Wiz songs. Granted, most of the time I was skipping through them. SO, I never thought I'd read somewhere that Wiz has content. Hell, I can't believe he was mentioned in the same sentence as Nas. Wiz raps about weed and the life around it, which he stole from Curren$y but that's another story. So, point me to songs where he says some meaningful, thought-provoking shit. PLEASE.

3. Black & Yellow skyrocketed him to cult fame almost. He has a similar buzz like Wayne did back when he was killing the mixtapes with Dedication and the Drought 3. How do I know this? Back then, all the kids were screaming Young Moolah on facebook and myspace. Now, all the kids are screaming Taylor Gang. I know a few 16-17 year olds who started smoking weed cause of Wiz, pretty much. So, I don't htink Wiz doesn't get enough props. Maybe in Britain. Here, everyone who's into rap now knows Wiz quite well.

Anyway, he's not a breath of fresh air in hip-hop or anything. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if someone thinks rap is shit nowadays, I would never fathom that listening to Wiz would bring that love back.

Prize Gotti

Boots N Cats
Staff member
I never said meaningful or thought provoking. You cant say all Nas songs are either. What I said back when I was listening to rap Nas CDs, the music had content. But Wiz's music grabbed my attention, I found myself listening to what hes saying. Compared to the majority of rap songs I have heard in recent year, this was something different. Only person who came close in the last 4 years is Lupe Fiasco. The problem with rap these days is the OGs have fallen off, and no new real talent has come through. So for an artist to grab that attention with all the songs I listen to, he's gotta have some talent.

Shadows

Props, nice post Sofi.

Honestly, I've always heard of Wiz, but never got into him until I heard Black and Yellow everywhere, and since rap is dry, i went back and checked his catalog.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
I never said meaningful or thought provoking. You cant say all Nas songs are either. What I said back when I was listening to rap Nas CDs, the music had content. But Wiz's music grabbed my attention, I found myself listening to what hes saying. Compared to the majority of rap songs I have heard in recent year, this was something different. Only person who came close in the last 4 years is Lupe Fiasco. The problem with rap these days is the OGs have fallen off, and no new real talent has come through. So for an artist to grab that attention with all the songs I listen to, he's gotta have some talent.
Check out J. Cole's music.

ARon

I was going to come have a conversation but you guys ruined it with your uninformed rap is dry, it isn't what it used to be talk. Rap isn't dead, you fucking are. There are some crazy talented artists dropping shit on a constant basis, lames...

Black & Yellow is ass. Kush & OJ is the only solid tape Wiz has put out, he has cuts here and there but nothing like Kush & OJ, that was pretty good throughout. I've been saying it, Wiz has sucked since that tape. Rolling Papers is going to be his new album and I'm not really looking forward to it unless he comes with a different sound than Black & Yellow. SOFI is right, Wiz is running with Curren$y's style and he's not even half as good at it as Spitta, he can be pretty damn corny at times. Wiz is easy to like cus he is all singy most of the time, his flow is decent so it doesn't ruin a track but he's is nothing good really. He's like your faovrite value meal at McDonalds, you eat it all the time but its still McDonalds.

I don't really have anything to add to this thread. I just wanna say JUNGLE AND DUBSTEP! are definitely taking over my life....but my love will always be for Hip-Hop. That electronic music is just a filthy whore....with filthy bass lines....

...and Wiz is definately one of the better rappers out there, loving the mellow, stoner vibe tracks...perfect for wake-n-bakes!

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Fuck You. Black And Yellow is good. The Remix with Jeezy is rocking....!

Edit - Why is this closed? Opened as I can't see a good reason. Let me know if otherwise.

ARon

You god damn liar you will not play those songs with those little kids chorus singing black and yellow black and yellow lol

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online