will we ever hear another?

does nas have it in him to make another illmatic? i believe if nas sticks with the same producers who did illmatic with him and a little touch from lets say kenye west he can over do illmatic or better it. Does anyone believe nas still packs the rhyme skills that made him so great in his classic debut album?

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Face it, if Nas released Illmatic now it would flop. Id rather he moved forward and released something new and classic instead of rehashing past glory.

TCD

Nas certainly has another big classic in him but not in the same vein of Illmatic. He has moved on and albums like Streets Disciple are good but they just needed less filler and tighter production.

Giz

Illmatic is considered a "classic" cuz it came out of nowhere, people had no expectations. Same thing with Reasonable Doubt! People expect so much from them both these days, no matter what they put out it wont be considered great! It would have to be damn near perfect to get a positive respons by the masses!

Thats a generell problem. Artists put out a str8 classic and everything that follows is only a shadow of one`s former self. It`s not the rule, but you can watch it often.

Little Skittle

Giz said:
Illmatic is considered a "classic" cuz it came out of nowhere, people had no expectations. Same thing with Reasonable Doubt! People expect so much from them both these days, no matter what they put out it wont be considered great! It would have to be damn near perfect to get a positive respons by the masses!

no, they are both considered classics because they are purely amazing. 2 of the best 5 rap records to ever be released

_carmi

me, myself & us
i doubt he'll make another classic like illmatic because now people have expectations, big expeactations from him. i don't think he can do another illmatic or better.

linx

Staff member
Rukas said:
Face it, if Nas released Illmatic now it would flop. Id rather he moved forward and released something new and classic instead of rehashing past glory.
I completely agree with you. People need to stop thinking that he needs to release "another Illmatic". It's dumb. Does he have it in him to make another classic album though? Definitely, I think he can do it without a doubt. But will he? I don't think so, but who knows. Streets Disciple wasn't that bad in my opinion, but his couple of albums before that were better I think. Back then Nas was hungry and he knew to make his mark he had to drop something dope. Now it's a completely different story and he is already an established artist. He knows he is one of the best to ever do it.

Little Skittle said:
no, they are both considered classics because they are purely amazing. 2 of the best 5 rap records to ever be released
Illmatic is definitely up there. It's debatable whether or not it's in the top 5, but either way it could very well be. Reasonable Doubt on the other hand, isn't in the top 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 .. I don't think it's even in the top 50.

Giz

Little Skittle said:
No they are not, both Nas and Jay have released better since. I wasn't trying to discredit anyone, no doubt those albums are great. BUT like I said before, people call them classics cuz it came out of nowhere, nobody had any expectations. Plus neither of those albums went "mainstream", Illmatic took 10 years to go platinum!

I'm just trying to answer dude's question, no need to get offended! I love both albums and Illmatic is a classic in my book!

it all depends with what you mean by "another illmatic"..
similar sounding? no..
quality wise? maybe.... he hasn't done it in the last 10-11 years though so why now?
edit - and after reading your thread again, i dont think he has the same lyrical skills because when illmatic dropped he had an authentic hungry feel and sound, but listen to the albums he's dropped after, altho some people like it, it can't compare to his debut

ARon

Lyrically, yes.
Emotionally, beyond yes.
Can he, yes.
Will he, no.
It is evident NaS has it in him to release something better than Illmatic, where he has taken this art within him is amazing, doing so much with it, tight shit. But he will not because i don't think he wants too. Remember the intro to Stillmatic "But it's always forwards im moving, never backwards..." Simple.
That is the thing people are getting twisted, sayin when Illmatic dropped he was authentic and hungry and now he isn't. How isn't he. He is pushin the envelope with what he is doing, from the stories to topics he is doing it. It might not be with hard lyrics but it is a different way, he has evolved as an artist, i would think he was wak if he did the same shit over and over and over.

Nas can drop another album on the same lyrical level as Illmatic anyday, nobody ever loses that ability. However, on Illmatic he spoke about his surroundings in Queensbridge. He rapped about what he knew, and that was QB. Now, he's travelled the world, is serious with Kelis, and is well off in terms of money. He's gonna speak on what he knows (shit going on in Africa, how great his shit has been for the last 10 years, the progression of the Hip Hop movement, etc.)

In the general public's eyes, the next album he drops (even if it's lyrically and emotionally on level with Illmatic) won't measure up to his debut, but really could be classic material.

Can he? Yes
Will he? Yes
Will we know it when it drops? Probably not

CalcuoCuchicheo said:
He doesn't have another classic album in him. Cormega does though :)
Cormega can drop albums all day long but no-one, bar the Hip-Hop heads, will pay any attention. Nas is on another level.

Rukas said:
From what standpoint? Commercial? Illmatic basically was a flop in itself, it took almost two years to get near platinum status if I remember correctly. Obviously it'd be stupid for Nas to try and release a carbon copy Illmatic but if he can recreate the hunger, the lyricism and most importantly the flow of Illmatic, it'll be felt on a large scale.

chief_Rocka said:
maybe you havnt heard umm.... ANY of his albums after illmatic?
Book one, strategy, tactics, techniques
Look dumb, but massively notice the weakness, in all them
Gotta shoot only if necessary
Homey vest is very real if enemies carrying heavy steal
Beware the thugs who ain't scared of blood or jail time
Where Arian nations ain't having integration, we so blind
The beauty of life, was when my mom said nigga you could be Christ
I wasn't old enough to hold my dick and pee right, "Jesus"!
What is he like? I picture him standing with diamonds on him
Little different from the way my mommy saw him
Practice your aiming, physical training in, difficult terrain and
Test your endurance, try to keep your stamina banging
Splitting dutches up, strap up, the armies is school
Teaching smart ways to kill, I'm thinking Ghandi was a fool
But chronic's a fool; got me thinking out loud, fuck it
Sleep on my drunkenness I'll blow your brains out
-----Not amazing, bu not much less than NY State of Mind-----

The bullet goes back in the gun
The bullet hole's closin this chest of a nigga
Now he back to square one
Screamin, "Shoot don't please"
I put my fifth back on my hip
It's like a VCR rewindin a hit
He put his hands back on his bitch
My caravan doors open up
I jumped back in the van and closed it shut
Goin reverse, slowly prepared
My nigga Jungle utters out somethin crazy like, "Go he there"
Sittin in back of this chair, we hittin the roach
The smoke goes back in the blunt, the blunt gets bigger in growth
Jungle unrolls it, put his weed back in the jar
The blunt turns back into a cigar
We listen to Stevie, it sounded like heavy metal fans
Spinnin records backwards of AC/DC
I give my niggas dap, jump out the van back first
Back upstairs, took off the black shirt
I'm in the crib with the phone to my ear
Listen up so y'all can figure out the poem real clear
The voice on the phone was like, "Outside right we"
So with my mouth wide, holdin my heat
Bullets I had plenty to squeeze, plenty for ya
'Cause Jungle said, "Block your on enemies the"
Hung up the phone, then the phone rang <phone ringing>
I'm laid in the bed thinkin 'bout this pretty young thing
Who left, she came back, her clothes just fell to the rug
She fell to my bed and gave me a hug
I told her, "No hell"
She talkin 'bout, "Me kiss"
Bobbed her head then spit the nut back in my dick
Started suckin with no hands, a whole lotta spit
Then got up and put her bra back on her tits
Got fully dressed and told me, "Stressed really I'm"
Picked up her Gucci bag and left her nigga behind
Walkin through the door, she rang the bell twice
I vomited Vodka back in my glass with juice and ice
The clock went back from three, to two, to one
And that's about the time the story begun
That's when I first heard the voicemail on the cell
It said, "Son we found that nigga we gotta kill"
-----Hell of a story right? REVERSE MAN. On the same level as One Love-----

^^ im not saying nas can't drop good lyrics, he just cant do it on a consistent basis. none of his albums after illmatic were that consistent.. his last attempt on streets disciple was comparibly horrible bar a few good songs, which is pretty much how all his other albums go..
put up a tracklisting in which there are more GREAT songs than so-so/garbage

1 Stillmatic (The Intro) 4/5
2 Ether 5/5
3 Got Ur Self A.. 4/5
4 Smokin' 2/5
5 You're Da Man 3.5 /5
6 Rewind 5/5
7 One Mic 5/5
8 2nd Childhood 3.5/5
9 Destroy & Rebuild 3/5
10 The Flyest 3.5/5
11 Braveheart Party 2.5/5
12 Rule 3/5
13 My Country 5/5
14 What Goes Around 4/5

53/70 = 75.71

I think that qualifies as pretty consistent ;)

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.