Why Jay-Z should not come out of retirement

XIAN

If you saw the MTV Nas/Jay interview the other day, the last question Sway asked was if Jay was thinking about returning, and Nas said that he thinks he should because the rap game is lacking more people like them. When Sway asked him he said "A lot of people have been thinking that you would come back as S.Carter..." and Jay replied, "What? Does that not make me Jay-Z anymore if I changed my name?" He also said, "Sway, if you want me to make the album, just ask me to make the album..."
I think that he seemed kind of annoyed at being asked that question over and over, and I think that although he's "itching" to get back into it, he knows that he probably shouldn't.

You can look at the retirement of Jay-Z like the end of a TV show. Seinfeld, at the time of it's ending, was the most popular TV show on TV, and it was considered at it's comic peak the last few seasons. With Jay retiring at his peak, it left us missing him, just like with Seinfeld. I think that by retiring with The Black Album, he solidified his legacy as something honorable. Like when Jordan went out with the 5th Championship, he probably regrets coming back and ruining that ending. I think that if Jay were to come out and drop a sub-par album, it would sort of ruin the way he ended it out on top. Just the fact that people miss him and keep talking about this thing really shows that he did go out on top, and I think that by coming back it would ruin that especially if he couldn't live up to the expectations.
What do you think?
~peace~

seinfeld started sliding after the 5th season, and jordan won 6 championships, but whos counting?

on the serious side, im a firm believer that people should do what they love as long as they feel like doing it, it's their own legacy, and therefore they can do what they want with it, who cares if the public doesnt feel it?

Little Skittle

I think he wouldn't release anything less than classic, in fear of losing that legacy. And even if it was sub-par, it would still have some classic cuts on it, and I would rather have a few more Jay-Z gems then none.

If Jay dropped another album, i doubt it would be trash... Look at the mans track record... The only album he dropped I feel that was just "ok" was volume 3, and it was still a hit. The Black album was one of his best, next to the Blueprint.. I doubt Jay would let himself release a wack album.. He's too gifted for that. .

Mr.Deuce

Mr.Deuce Wigalow: Male E-Gigolo
i dont give a amn bout jay-z if he goes then let him go..but of nas would give up rappin´then i would care becuz he is betta than jay.IMO

XIAN

We "missed" Seinfeld right? Jay doesn't wanna go out unless he's missed. When we're 60 years old, he'll be dead, and if he stays out right now, we'll remember him in a good way. If he comes back out (especially if it's bad) people will take it for granted and become sick of him. He made the cover of Rolling Stone, not because he is a rapper, but because he's not anymore.

if he drops another album it won't be weak. from reasonable doubt to dynasty, Bp and all way to Black he has proved he can produce top quality shit. Any album he drops with Nas featuring on it will sell, any album he drops will sell, especially as a comeback album. I don't think you can compare Sienfeld and Michael Jordan with a rapper, its got to be like for like, athletes especially get older and get worse: fact.
I hope he does drop another 2 or 3 albums, but all with his empire etc.. i think it'll still be a few years before that happens.

Fataldawg said:
If Jay dropped another album, i doubt it would be trash... Look at the mans track record... The only album he dropped I feel that was just "ok" was volume 3, and it was still a hit. The Black album was one of his best, next to the Blueprint.. I doubt Jay would let himself release a wack album.. He's too gifted for that. .
Gonna HAVE TO disagree with you there homey!!!!!!!!!!!

Reasonable Doubt 9 and 1/2 out of 10
In My Lifetime 3/10
Vol 2 Hard Knock Life 5/10
Vol 3 Life and Times of S.Carter 5/10
La Roc Familia 6/10
The Blueprint 9/10
The Blueprint2 7/10
The Black Album 6/10

Reasonable Doubt and The Blueprint are ONLY two Jay-Z Albums that looking back with hindsight I would buy again!

^^That's acually a matter of opinion, but in general a lot of people felt that The Blueprint 2 was a large disappointment, and I don't think it would've been if it weren't for The Blueprint.
So that is basically going along with what I was saying, how do you make a follow up to The Black Album? He went out on top, and most rappers never get the oppurtunity to do that. So if he came back, he would have to come back on top, and the only way from there is down...
~peace~

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.