Why dont rappers freestyle

How come cats dont freestyle; and even when they claim its freestyle, spit written shit?

I've heard prewritten freestyles by Biggie, Canibus, Eminem, 50 Cent, G-Unit, Big L, and a host of other rappers. Even radio station videos/tracks, that they've lied about being freestyle.

That shit is wack

Yeah, but come on, you cant lie about shit. People are going to find out, and when they do it just reflects badly upon them. Problem isnt really in them spitting prewritten verses, its claiming that its freestyle, or interjecting a prewritten verse into a freestyle cypher.

People are stupid most people that listen to the "freestyle" and actually think it is a freestyle is because they probably havent heard the track inwhich the verse is spit, I know many a person who calim to luv 2pac for example but have never heard the "I thank the Lord for my many blessings" verse on the R U Still down CD

This then leads to these same ignorant people thinking it was a freestyle thus leading to more credibility for the artist, Plus if you're smart enough to know Its a pre written then you usually let it slide because you know they can't really mess up and seem like idiots.

Pac did some fs in his day. wasnt anything great, but it wasnt bad. I have always thougth artist should freestlye. And they should deff battle rap. The always talk about who is better and shit well shut up and spit. Imagine a 50cent vs. game freestyle on ppv with a bunch of other people on the undercard. that shit would sell like a mutha fucker. peace.

Well some rappers dont like to freestyle cuz they wanna do something perfect and think before say sth but in freestyle you cant do that, you just say whats on your mind and usually it gonna be wack
99% of freestyles are pre-written

Blekk0 said:
How come cats dont freestyle; and even when they claim its freestyle, spit written shit?

I've heard prewritten freestyles by Biggie, Canibus, Eminem, 50 Cent, G-Unit, Big L, and a host of other rappers. Even radio station videos/tracks, that they've lied about being freestyle.

That shit is wack
haha, prewritten freestyles :rolleyes:

I probably have a more vast audio collection than anyone else here.

Also, when freestyling, people dont expect you do drop the ILLEST VERSE EVER, its to freestyle. Thats my beef.

When pac started spitting in the studio, on the thug angel dvd, that wasnt bad.

The problem is freestyling is one of the primary elements of hip hop. If you showed up at a cypher with some prewritten shit you'd get laughed at; whats with the double standard? "Aw naw this niggas sold like 3 mil albums, it doesnt matter!!"... Thats effectively what you're saying.

roaches

You don't know history.

The original definition of freestyling = live performance of a rhyme, ideally one not performed before.

West coast cats have always taken things to extremes (power moves, g-funk, etc.), initially to get their props from the east coast and then to one-up them when they realized that wasn't going to happen. Some west coast kids started spontaneously composing their freestyles as they were performing, and over time that became an ideal. And then, revisionist history came in:

- The same revisionist history that makes Reasonable Doubt some kind of classic
- That makes you misguided kids think sampling is wack

etc.

Spontaneously performing your rhymes is what real freestyling is = propaganda put out to keep Craig G, Supernatural, Juice, and whoever put out that Freestyle DVD full.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online