Why does Hip Hop rip off the Italian Mafioso culture?

Has anyone noticed the way, lots of hip hop artists rip off the whole gangster ideology associated with the Italian Mafia. Why call yourself a Don, a cappo or try and pretend to be a character in Goodfellas or Scarface (admittedly Cuban but still a dick ride for most rappers) Artists are always talking about black pride and attempting to come over as politically minded...

Why are you all trying to act like the ITALIAN MAFIA? It's fucking lame...get your own identity.

EDouble said:
maybe theyll start talkin about CRIPS and BLOODS
Oh come off it....apart from Game and Snoop and a few others, hardly any rappers talk about Crips and Bloods...far more think they are mafia BOSSES and DONS. It's slightly pathetic. Because you sell drugs all of a sudden your an Italian wiseguy...plllleeeasse

you refer to rappers as "they" and use a different vocabulary than what is normaly used round here i'm gonna go on a wild guess and say youre white and ur subconsciencly racist...i rebuttle you by saying why can't they rip off italian mafia culture i+ Scarface was a white guy with a good tan acting as a Cuban

Why is a problem if rappers choose to indentify with the Mafia? If they want to describe their lifestyle (imaginary or real) on that way so let it be. They also refer to themselves as a revolutioners, pimps, preachers...

jbrolax

the same reason people other then rappers do, they think its cool. Same reason italian kids find out about the mafia they start talking with a psuedo-italian/brooklyn accent and gel there hair up like sonic the hedgehog...

I'm merely highlighting the double standards.
no one mentions rappers trying to act Italian and marketing themselves as dons / bosses etc.
BUT when a white rapper uses ghetto terms and starts talking about the hood, he gets chastised which is absolutely fine by me but how many rappers do you know that have any connections to the Italian Mafia? from Lil Kim shouting out victoria gotti, to Irv GOTTI, to little Gotti, to Reasonable doubt, to Biggies second album, to Pac calling himself a don, to Nas reworking the sopranos tune, I could go on..
no one raises an eyebrow, but the minute a white boy says "word to your momma" he's a fucking fake.
I don't want this to turn into a racist thread as I'm not racist but why the double standards?

EDouble

Will suck off black men for a dime
LMAO at no one raises an eyebrow at all the mafia references, but when a 'white boy says 'word to your momma' he's fucking fake'

I TAKE IT THE POINT of this post is that rappers (Black) are actin WHITE because they talk about the mafia?

jbrolax

EDouble said:
LMAO at no one raises an eyebrow at all the mafia references, but when a 'white boy says 'word to your momma' he's fucking fake'

I TAKE IT THE POINT of this post is that rappers (Black) are actin WHITE because they talk about the mafia?

and white people are acting black because they speak like the rappers they listen to???

a better question would be why do hip hop artists aspire to and claim the italian mafioso culture, when the real italian mafia leading up to the new millennium (and probably still now), were extremely prejudiced towards blacks and basically treated them like shit?

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.