Who here agree's with this Rakim quote?

7 Syns

Rakim said:
"I always say a rapper is like a halfback in the NFL, you got about 7 years and then it's a wrap".
As quoted by Rakim from The Source issue in OCT 2002.

So, who agree's with this? Views? Opinions? Obviously some rappers have gone well and truelly beyond the 7 year bracket but for the most part it seems roughly correct.

peace.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Nah, I dont really agree with that. I can rant off plenty of rappers that have lasted more than 7 years. Unfortunatly Rakim isn't one of them.

7 Syns

Rukas said:
Nah, I dont really agree with that. I can rant off plenty of rappers that have lasted more than 7 years. Unfortunatly Rakim isn't one of them.
Yet his relevance, respect and impact in the game in a few short years is unquestionable. He really did accomplish more in 2 year than alot of rappers do in their life times.

But I got to agree, just the big name emcees whom are on top then suddendly find themselves bottom dwellers. Thats what I think he meant, because it's easy to be in the game for longer than 7 years itself.

peace.

7 Syns said:
As quoted by Rakim from The Source issue in OCT 2002.

So, who agree's with this? Views? Opinions? Obviously some rappers have gone well and truelly beyond the 7 year bracket but for the most part it seems roughly correct.

peace.

yea maby in his case this is true but in general im gunna disagree. alot of the guys who are big right now were big pre 99.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Four Bars said:
When detox drops this comment will be forgotten.
Dre isnt the be all and end all of hip-hop man.

When Snoop drops anything that comment is forgotten, when Jay Z dropped the Black Album that was forgotten, when any Wu member drops anything that is forgotten, when Nas drops anything back 1998 that comment is forgotten.

Seven years is not that long man.

It's a valid statement because so many guys are like that. Of course you've got exceptions (i.e. Jay, Nas, Wu, etc.) but guys like Ja Rule are pretty much gone and DMX as well (I doubt his shit will EVER drop).

PDT

For an average, I'd say that'd be close, maybe shorter. Ra was strong from 86-97, I know he was gone pretty much from 93-96, but you know.

Bobby Sands

2Pac,dead or alive, released(or posthumously released) consistently good albums from 1991 to 2003.Thats 12 years of good music.No i dont agree with Rakim's statement.

MATW95 said:
It's a valid statement because so many guys are like that. Of course you've got exceptions (i.e. Jay, Nas, Wu, etc.) but guys like Ja Rule are pretty much gone and DMX as well (I doubt his shit will EVER drop).
DMX is in the game since 92

HellRazor05 said:
"I've been doin this for nineteen years, niggas wanna fight me? Fight these tears." Maybe he ain't been mainstream but he's been rappin for a long time now. And his shit will drop, wait till this summer and we'll see. I've got some pretty reliable sources that say his album will drop in '06.

I understand that he's been rapping for all this time, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's around. And don't get me wrong, I'd be MORE than happy to get a solid X album.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.