Where do you rank Q-Tip?

7 Syns

Simple question.

I'd put him up there with Red & Ra as my favorite 3 artists. Back in the day circa-96 and ish when I was 12 or so was when Tip really caught me young ears. My cousin Joaquinn was already a massive Tribe fan having owned all their 4 albums to that date, so it wasn't like Tribe were new to me. But one day I was laying back on my bed, late as.. listening to the radio and right after Pac's How Do U Want It, 1Nce Again came on and after that I was souled on Tribe forever, Tip especially.

His smooth, nasally delivery & flow with the lyrical backdrop and those jazz/groove/funk/soul fused beats provided was the ish.. still is. I was even one of the few people who copped Amplified first day and rate it a near classic. I also stumbled across Open & Kamaal the Abstract (Live @ the Renaissance) a few years ago on the net. Most people who heard that didn't really feel it like I did. I was blown, the ish was on some other.

2 years later André drops Love Below, Cee-Lo before that with Imperfects and Soul Machine later.. those albums have Tip's Kamaal the Abstract all over them.

He is one of those dudes who I relate to, the way he emcee's has become a sorta blueprint to what I try to do.

IMO he is a top 10, if not 5 emcee. On a personal level top 3..

peac3.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
I rank him in my Top 5 for flow.

As a complete package... Top 10 for sure. Even if he is under rated by todays listener...

ATCQ were, and still are, the coolest. ;)

ARon

Hes one of those I argue with myself with that would be fitting for the 10 spot, sometimes higher. Jigga Bun B Andre 3000 sometimes fit in the spot also so it varies.

linx

Staff member
He's definitely up there with me. I also became a Tribe fan at a young age and i'm an even bigger Tribe fan now. I've always loved Tip. His voice always caught my ear.

was watching (just last night in fact) and older video with nas, jayz and tip in it and was cool. will have to check out more of him soon.

THEV1LL4N

i once knew this bitch by the name of q tip, who claim he had a problem with this gangsta shit. behind closed doors, runnin his mouth like a trick in till this nigga bout the name of dove caught him slippin. tied his ass up and threw him in the truck, put an apple in his mouth and dug his ass out. lol

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.