When Putting Out A Mixtape...

i don't see how mixtapes can be illegal. i mean check out all these mixtapes being sold. u got alot of different artists' vocals+instrumentals mixed. and these DJ's are selling the mixtapes and getting money off of them,and not paying the artists anything.

as long as its not sold in retail or record stores you can do wutever the fuck you want with it..like if you and ur boy are just planin to sell it on the hot spots around town do it make that money man...honestly though as long as its you sellin it and it dont hit the stores then you would be fine...and about the instrumentals your boy has atleast contact the peeps who made it and say your gonna give credit on the mixtape or somthin such as if u post it up on the net write who the beat is by and such...take it eazy and goodluck..peace

Ss

yeh dont put any official info like label info or address on it thats all. cos it is illegal so theyll send you a cease and desist but as long as u distribute to street peeps it dont matter.

ps i seen games mixtapes in retail stores and 50 b4 the massacre mixtape :confused: and snoop welcome to the church series aswell.

This is an interesting topic, cause all those mixtapes use the hottest beats out, and theres no way they pay to get those cleared. And then they turn around and make money on it. I mean, do you think 50 would have gotten permission to use the Still Tippin beat on G-Unit radio? Maybe he did, but I'd like to know how that works

Mixtapes can be legal - but they can only be sold in a very specific manner. You are not allowed to Charge for the Actual CD - that is illegal if you are using someone else's beats. The CD's must be free and for promotional use only. However, - you can charge however much you want for the Jewel Case & the Cover Art. Thats how artists get around the rules - and thats why online sites who do it the right way don't get shut down.

HellRazor05 said:
So let's say me & my boy put out this cd....cover art, jewel case and all as a mixtape NOT in stores...we could sell it? in the street and online? as long as we got permission from the people who made some of the beats of course. Just seein' if I got this straight.

And what about the beats that are labeled "Free Rap Instrumentals"? I'm assuming they are "FREE" instrumentals. The producer's name also isn't labeled anywhere on the track. :confused:
if u gonna do it in the stree u dont need permission maybe on the net u wud.

MAKaveli_10 said:
Ya just make the price for the cd case and cover art like at 5.00 and there you go. You got your own money.
Yup!!! Then start sellin that shit out the back of yo TRUNK!!...or set up a paypal account and get that shit on the net....fa real.

As long as you make it clear that the CD is free and all they are payin for is the Cover Art & Jewel case you set - u don't even need permission for the beats...

-Just watch out that nobody bootlegs your shit.....then sue their asses

Farzin

HellRazor05 said:
So let's say me & my boy put out this cd....cover art, jewel case and all as a mixtape NOT in stores...we could sell it? in the street and online? as long as we got permission from the people who made some of the beats of course. Just seein' if I got this straight.

And what about the beats that are labeled "Free Rap Instrumentals"? I'm assuming they are "FREE" instrumentals. The producer's name also isn't labeled anywhere on the track. :confused:

about the free instrumentals if they say Royal Free then its completly free but if they just say its free they might mean by that that tehre is no initial payment needed but that they get a cut from sold cd's or however that works. At least i htink thats the way it is. Gotta be careful free doesnt always mean free.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.