What's to expect from Q-Tip's next record?

7 Syns

This is a damn hard question I'm asking y'all. Q-Tip has never followed suite of the average emcee, his always been in my view a couple steps ahead of the pack as far as his mind's concerned. His solo record 'Amplified' was something many didn't see coming, I can't say it was disappointing but it was different to what many expected I believe. I don't own it but will eventually buy it. But as far as his next record all I know thats been leaked is information of the label that it will be dropped on and the title.

He penned down a deal with Motown, in my view perhaps a bad move due to their records of pushing emcee's. AZ comes to mind straight away, good records but lack of promotional play. The title tentatively called "Live From the Renaissance" is cool. I'd expect something along them lines from an emcee like Tip.

To be honest Im more amped for this than a ATCQ reuinion, mainly because his always been a nice artist on the mic to me. In them classic ATCQ days circa '89 - '94 he was killing verses on the regular and his persona was getting bigger and bigger in size and stature. I hope he lays down a mellow, jazz/blue's/groove incorporated record that's the perfect formula to chill out too. Goes in a completely different direction with his singles then the usual "get it on" singles we've been over dosed on for the last few years.

I see producers like Kanye West, 9th Wonder, Pete Rock and himself meshing perfectly for his mellow delivery and rhymes. It'd be the ultimate backdrop for a new Tip record. Features, Mos Def and him make a good combination. Could be due to the fact that Mos Def's style is taken straight from Tip's page. Phife and Ali ofcourse, perhaps an OG too. Someone of Ra or Kane's calibre and a new cat.

I think someone like Tip is exactly what NY hip-hop has been missing for a couple years now, I mean after he stepped back Mos came up. Then Mos stepped back and no one's really came out with that mellow style thats gold to your ears.

Thoughts on Q-Tip, expectations on his next record and opinions on his solo 'Amplified' and ATCQ.

peace.

AmerikazMost

Q's always been the type of guy to stay true to himself. Thus I think we can expect a lot of what we've seen from him in the past. I think we'll get something laid back, sometimes funny, sometimes brutally honest, always creative, and will push the envelope.

As far as "Amplified" goes, I haven't heard it yet, so I can't comment on it. But as far as the success of the album and ATCQ in today's market, I don't see them making a huge splash. The fact is they were yesterday's sensation, and today's fanbase isn't quick to accept anything 'old' no matter how good it is.

linx

Staff member
7 Syns said:
To be honest Im more amped for this than a ATCQ reuinion, mainly because his always been a nice artist on the mic to me. In them classic ATCQ days circa '89 - '94 he was killing verses on the regular and his persona was getting bigger and bigger in size and stature. I hope he lays down a mellow, jazz/blue's/groove incorporated record that's the perfect formula to chill out too. Goes in a completely different direction with his singles then the usual "get it on" singles we've been over dosed on for the last few years.

I see producers like Kanye West, 9th Wonder, Pete Rock and himself meshing perfectly for his mellow delivery and rhymes. It'd be the ultimate backdrop for a new Tip record. Features, Mos Def and him make a good combination. Could be due to the fact that Mos Def's style is taken straight from Tip's page. Phife and Ali ofcourse, perhaps an OG too. Someone of Ra or Kane's calibre and a new cat.
I'm definitely gonna listen to the album since i've always been a Tribe Called Quest fan. I'd look forward to a reunion more than a solo Q-Tip album though, lol. But like you said, if he can make a mellow jazz/blues/groove incoporated record ..that would be great. Those producers you named would be great too. We'll see what happens.. :thumb:

He should do a song with Phonte, I think they'd go very well together.
I loved Amplified, it really was something different, so I'm looking forward to his next album...

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.