what is underground?

Preach

i was puzzling myself with this in a rather boring it class as i was browsing tupacboard to stay awake. it got me thinking. this forum does not specify that the threads in it should revolve around underground RAPPERS, but underground cats. so uhm. that means producers too, no?

i make beats. im not known in the mainstream, that means im underground, right? so in actuality, i could sit here discussing myself? someone post some pictures and audio! HAR!!!!1 :D

seriously though :>

mostly the ones who are underground will be the first to let you know.....thats what I find funny about it. But overal underground hip-hop is not neccsarliy those not discovered but depends on what type of porduction, flow, lyrics they spitting, at least in some instances people could easily say that 50 was underground b4 he blew or even that Mos Def is underground still (due to the msuic he makes rvialing the mainstream and also that he hasnt blown up). So I dont know, its hard to label a category like this with specifics

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
T-Bone Rizzlienator D145.57 said:
i was puzzling myself with this in a rather boring it class as i was browsing tupacboard to stay awake. it got me thinking. this forum does not specify that the threads in it should revolve around underground RAPPERS, but underground cats. so uhm. that means producers too, no?

i make beats. im not known in the mainstream, that means im underground, right? so in actuality, i could sit here discussing myself? someone post some pictures and audio! HAR!!!!1 :D

seriously though :>

You're not underground Rizz. You are local. :D

roaches

Underground = unpopular across the board.

You aren't going gold.
You aren't owning the charts.
You aren't known outside of your subgenre/style/region/demographic (This time last year, if you mentioned Mike Jones or Slim Thug to someone not familiar with the Houston scene, they'd say "Who?" But now, if you mention Mike Jones to a head, they're more likely to say-fuck, bad example.)

Can you be on a major label and be underground? Eh, I dunno. The early '90s will have you saying yes, but the early '90s was before the industry learned about hip-hop. Nowadays, I'm pressed to think of any major label hip-hop who's into his career who's underground. If they do delve into the underground, they're not likely to stay on that major label.

Being underground usually does mean that you're part of a scene. So if you rap/make beats whatever, but you aren't interacting with a like-minded community, you might as well not exist.

As for you, you make beats, and you're part of the 2pacboard community. Sure, you can call yourself part of the underground. Lucky for you, though, that particular underground has its own set of boards (http://www.2pacboard.com/forum/sh-artist-federation.html) to cater to you. I don't think anyone would be mad at you for offering your wares for us to listen to, though.

Mase

roaches said:
Can you be on a major label and be underground? Eh, I dunno. The early '90s will have you saying yes, but the early '90s was before the industry learned about hip-hop. Nowadays, I'm pressed to think of any major label hip-hop who's into his career who's underground. If they do delve into the underground, they're not likely to stay on that major label.
Out of interest, do you classify Rap-A-Lot an underground or Mainstream label?

Preach

roaches said:
Underground = unpopular across the board.

You aren't going gold.
You aren't owning the charts.
You aren't known outside of your subgenre/style/region/demographic (This time last year, if you mentioned Mike Jones or Slim Thug to someone not familiar with the Houston scene, they'd say "Who?" But now, if you mention Mike Jones to a head, they're more likely to say-fuck, bad example.)

Being underground usually does mean that you're part of a scene. So if you rap/make beats whatever, but you aren't interacting with a like-minded community, you might as well not exist.

As for you, you make beats, and you're part of the 2pacboard community. Sure, you can call yourself part of the underground. Lucky for you, though, that particular underground has its own set of boards (http://www.2pacboard.com/forum/sh-artist-federation.html) to cater to you. I don't think anyone would be mad at you for offering your wares for us to listen to, though.
woah, that's more than i expected lol. you truly are a good poster. i will supply teh warez!

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online