What do we think of Odd Future?

roaches

I fucked with Earl Sweatshirt but the rest of the crew not so much.

I saw the "Yonkers" video for the first time recently though and since then I've been re-investigating.

[youtube]XSbZidsgMfw[/youtube]

That beat is ferocious.

ARon

Most if not all of OF's beats, his in particular, are ferocious. I like the crew a lot. I think Earl is a pretty damn talented rapper. Tyler is just good across the board. His name got out there with this video. I was introduced to Tyler's music through a friend a while back with that Bastard tape, been following them ever since. I'm not a rebellious little teen or anything but they just make good music. Clever rhymes, gritty boom bapish beats, the beats are real stale and grimey but they keep me hooked. I dig OF a lot. OFWGKTA! lol

Seven and Bastard are probably my favorite songs of his.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
Got links?

I don't feel like going through their tumblr. they update that shit more often than teenage girls.

ARon

I'll have to read that later. I was reading this article about him a couple days ago talking about how he's scared for his moms and stuff lol

Casey

Staff member
Read it a few days ago, Earl's history is fascinating. Not that I'm comparing him to Pac but there hasn't really been anyone else with such interesting lineage.

Anyway what do y'all think of "Goblin"? I dig it, I think it's a solid album.

ARon

Goblin was alright, got real monotonous for me.

Oh and I definitely agree with that comment about Earl. Hopefully he puts some of his background on wax, he has a lot to rap about

Casey

Staff member
I agree with the commenter who said that review sounds like a bunch of old dudes trying to judge something within the context of what they already know (ie, previous hip-hop) as opposed to appreciating it as an individual piece of art.

Here's the problem with that. The precise reason why people are digging OFWGKTA is because they don't really exist in the "world of hip-hop", a world that has become so overrun with cliche on multiple levels that a great deal of people are completely apathetic to even good new releases because even if it's good... it's still more of the "same old, same old" too in many cases.

This album exists on it's own plane, like much of what XL Records release (for example: MIA, The Prodigy, Radiohead). They don't want to exist in that world of hip-hop, they don't give a fuck about RapRadar or The Source or XXL, and outside of a few acknowledged influences like The Neptunes for example, they don't give a fuck about working with Legendary Producer XYZ or Currently Popular Rapper ABC. Watch Tyler and Hodgy's interview with Nardwuar, Tyler speaks on digging Roy Ayers and folks like that, that's WAY more interesting to me. 99% of any group would be honored to have media refer to them as "the new Wu-Tang" by Tyler hates that shit. He's not trying to be anything, he's just himself.

Is Goblin a masterpiece? No, but it's fresh. Is he doing anything that's never been done before? No. But it's the approach, the attitude, the ideology, the DIY self-expression and raw honesty that make it worth it's while. It's not contrived. It's not censored or obviously aimed at a market or a demographic. That's why it's exciting.

If I had to make a main criticism of "Goblin", it'd be that the shit is too long, and I also think it's quite possible the whole album would flow more cohesively by switching a few tracks around order wise. On first listen, it felt like a song like "She" came in too early on the album. There's a stylistic comparison that's fairly obvious (to me) that nobody seems to have made yet as far as I'm aware and that's with DMX's "It's Dark And Hell Is Hot". (kinda funny that Tyler's single is called Yonkers which is where DMX is from......and everytime I see Earl Sweatshirt's name it reminds me of X, cos, well, that's his name lol)

X was on a similar tip (from a much older perspective) in terms of the self-reflection, the anger, the eery feel of the production, the borderline lyrical schizophrenia, the satanic references (although ideologically Tyler and X are at opposite ends belief-wise) and he built that dark energy up through no less than NINE songs on his album before ushering in some balance, so to speak, with the more R&B tinged, "How's It Going Down" with Faith Evans. That always felt perfect to me. On "Goblin", you get that for the first three songs, then "She" switches the vibe, then it goes back to the original vibe with "Transylvania" and "Nightmare".

Those criticisms aside, I enjoyed damn near all the album, I wasn't constantly thinking "Oh this song kinda reminds of this artist or that artist", yes there's some pretty clear influences but you can say that about most music. I enjoyed it more than most albums I've heard this year in many genres and that's impressive to me given the amount of stuff I listen to.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with most points you made especially this part, "Is Goblin a masterpiece? No, but it's fresh. Is he doing anything that's never been done before? No. But it's the approach, the attitude, the ideology, the DIY self-expression and raw honesty that make it worth it's while. It's not contrived. It's not censored or obviously aimed at a market or a demographic. That's why it's exciting."

But his music, now, kinda bores me. It's exciting for the reasons you stated above but it doesn't make me want to bump Goblin on any given day or at any given point in time. And this comes from a guy who listened to D12 religiously. I know the D12 comparison is a disservice to Tyler in a lot of ways but no one can deny the similarities in content. It seems I'm more interested in Tyler, the person, than Tyler's music. With that said, I think a lot of "fans" of his music are more in love with the character than the music itself. But then again, that goes for a lot of popular artists, especially Eminem and Tupac.

Casey

Staff member
I understand the point you're making. The buzz, and valid reasons for it don't make it a better album. But they don't make it a worse one either and I think some critics are just over-analysing everything unnecessarily because of it.

Shadows

tyler's Yonkers was good, but i don't like the content of any of the songs i heard. so i choose not to listen.

Frank Ocean is on another level.

I saw them beef with ChrisBrown on twitter when ChrisBrown complinted him. That's some b.s. but it worked. CB wanted them to have more followers and they got them.

can someone point me out to a song where tyler has good content?

before i stab bruno mars in his god damn esophogus and wont stop till the cops come in.

lmao still laughin at that line

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.