Weird Question (Rappers Please Read)

S. Fourteen

Bare with me because you're gonna think that I'm on crack.

To those of you who rap, do you ever close one of your eyes when you rap? Does closing of the eye improve your ability to flow better or ride the beat better? And do you know of any rapper that does this? I could be wrong but I've seen a footage of The Game in studio and I remember him rapping with a funny face, like, one of his eyes were nearly closed like the way he looks in the How We Do video. You might be saying "duh! music sound different when you close your eyes!" and that's true. Blind people are a lot more sensitive to sound than people with vision, but I'm more curious about closing ONE eye.

I know that the human brain is split into two cerebral hemispheres and each side has distinct function such as our perception of music/sound, language, space, math, etc. So would it be possible for our musical function to be heightened when the right or the left side of the brain doesn't need to use it's energy for visual perception? (closing of the right or the left eye accordingly)

Maybe Dante will come in here with his medical dictionary in hand but in the meantime, do you know of or seen any rapper rap with his eye closed?

It has nothing to do with closing your eye man lol, your eye is probably less open than usual but when you do that you're trying to put more passion and anger into your flow.. it's about your mouth and cheek bone raising, not your eye closing lol.

Aristotle said:
All closing eyes has to do with is feeling the music feeling the passion of it.
I don't think that was his question, but what you just said is absolutely true..

But anyway, the proper way to answer his questions is eluding me.

ARon

^Yeah. Thats just what i was thinking he was talkin about, just seein someone closin there eyes when singing/rapping or whatever. I just took it like he actually thought it did something.

I personally find it awkward to just close one eye while rapping. I don't think it's something regular and I doubt there is a biological explanation for it, I guess some rappers just do weird physical stuff. Unless they're pirates.

S. Fourteen

All closing eyes has to do with is feeling the music feeling the passion of it.
If it allows you to feel the music in a better way, doesn't that mean that your brain recieves (or makes it seem like you're recieving) the sound differently when you close your eye(s)?

Preach

S. Fourteen said:
If it allows you to feel the music in a better way, doesn't that mean that your brain recieves (or makes it seem like you're recieving) the sound differently when you close your eye(s)?
yes.

i actually think you're on to something. keep digging and come to me when you have some real hard evidence and i'll be ready to take it further.

EDouble

Will suck off black men for a dime
scientificaly when your thinkin up shit u use one side of the brain or the other as in if your recallin information or if your makin up information. the eyes work with this
Its some shit like lookin up or down, but it could be with appearin to half way close etc

ARon

S. Fourteen said:
What, no. It's not allowing me to feel it more, I just close my eyes cus I'm already feelin it. Go look at singers, Mary J Blige is a great example, she closes her eyes, even cries, its not like crying is gonna make her feel a passion for the music a better way, she is just that much into it. I think your making a big deal of nothing.

S. Fourteen

Aristotle said:
What, no. It's not allowing me to feel it more, I just close my eyes cus I'm already feelin it. Go look at singers, Mary J Blige is a great example, she closes her eyes, even cries, its not like crying is gonna make her feel a passion for the music a better way, she is just that much into it. I think your making a big deal of nothing.
I'm going to go off the course here so I can get my point across in a better way.

Several theories have been advanced as to why the profession of musician is a popular one for the blind. There has long been a folk belief that blind people hear better than sighted people, and that therefore the blind have an advantage when performing music. Some recent studies have supported this belief. For example, research has shown that blind musicians are more likely to have perfect pitch than sighted musicians [1] Similarly, a paper published in Nature in 2004 found that people born blind or who went blind early in childhood were better able to recognize variations in pitch than were sighted people. People who went blind later in life had no advantage over those who could still see. The research team believed that this suggested differences in early brain development between those with sight and those who lost their sight in their early years. Specifically, they thought that in those blind from childhood the visual cortex, usually used for processing visual images, might be used for processing [sound] and other sensory input instead.[2]
source: wiki

other sources
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn158
http://www.nature.com/news/2004/040712/pf/040712-9_pf.html

Now, blindness is not what we're talking about but I hope you get my point after reading those articles. Tru will tell you that there are so many things we do not know about the human brain. Maybe some people are able to hear better when they close their eye(s).

ARon

I understand what you are saying. Been understanding it. Blind people acquire "super" hearing skills cus that is what they have to use, it is not like me closing my eyes right now will all of a sudden make my hearing better. I just think it has to do more with emotion, that is all.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.