VIBE magazine changes owners

VIBE magazine, “the voice and soul of urban music and culture” as described by its founder Quincy Jones, has officially undergone a change of ownership.

The magazine was acquired by The Wicks Group of Companies L.L.C. - a private equity firm located in New York.

It was also announced that Danyel Smith, the previous music editor for VIBE magazine, will take over the position of Editor-in-chief.

"I have always been a strong supporter and believer in the VIBE brand, and I am thrilled to rejoin as editor-in-chief," Smith said. "I look forward to strengthening our editorial traditions and our overall music, fashion, culture and style coverage on behalf of VIBE readers," said the new front-man who has worked at the magazine for a decade plus.

It is estimated that VIBE has a monthly readership of over seven million. Although the magazine focuses on American culture, it is distributed internationally.

Over the years the VIBE empire has gradually been expanding into the fields covered within its own pages such as CD, DVD and television production. This change of ownership marks the start of further diversification into these areas.

Eric Gertler, the new CEO of VIBE said "The power of VIBE is its appeal to the diverse, trendsetting young style makers who enjoy and are passionate about urban music, fashion and culture. We think there are tremendous growth and value-creation opportunities to leverage the brand across multiple media platforms and we are excited to build upon the great relationship that VIBE has with its community."

Daniel Black from the Wicks Group also added that “VIBE has all of the hallmarks of an outstanding media property, and this transaction creates a strong platform from which to address its growth potential.”

Word is that Vibe Magazine recently had a staff shakeup, and Editor in Chief, Mimi Valdes tops the list. The Bitter Vibes blog, broke this exclusive news yesterday.
)http://bittervibes.blogspot.com/

Bitter Vibes is an anonymous blog, fronted by one of Vibe’s ‘bitter’ staff members; the disgruntled employee calls out the backstabbers & fake bitches from behind the scenes. It’s a pretty good blog; you need to check it out.

Anyway, I read some of the comments on the blog and they said Mimi Valdes was crying her eyes out, and she has until next week Wednesday to clean out her desk. They also posted the list of the ‘alleged’ staff members that got the boot. The list is as follows: Mimi Valdes, Shani Saxon, Eric Parker, Jamie Katz, and Lakeba Hollar..

Here is the actual post BV put up:

Thursday, June 29, 2006: 2:43 PM THIS JUST IN!!!! BUH-BYE MIMI AND FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! GOOD RIDDANCE BITCHES AND HEFFAS!!!!!!!!

This is poetic justice in the highest order! Maybe someone from the blog will volunteer to help ya pack. Be gone by Wednesday heffas! LMAO

Who has a link to Justin Timberlake’s Cry Me a River? I guess those tears didn’t stop any of ya’ll bitches and punks from back stabbing and doing sneaky underhanded shit. Isn’t it funny how no one cries while they’re stabbing someone in the back but when they get stabbed in the back the pain is fucking excruciating.

Hmmm…Remember when pancake ass made references to bittervibes being homeless? I just have one thing to say…WHO’S HOMELESS NOW??????????????????????????????????? (SOURCE)
http://bittervibes.blogspot.com/2006/06/this-just-in-buh-bye-mimi-and-friends.html

Well if this is true, I’m not surprised. Word is Vibe’s sales have been low as hell since Mimi jumped on board, plus them fools can’t spell check for shit. I know yall remember that Lil Wayne cover. Not to mention, half of their cover pictures were straight garbage (ie. Mary J. Blige’s forehead).

Here is what BV wrote today:

Friday, June 30, 2006: 12:09 AM There’s something hilarious about someone who’s positioned themselves as larger than life being kicked off of the pedestal they’ve built for themselves. There’s also something insanely refreshing about a bunch of interlopers, flunkies and ass kissers sitting around instant messaging their friends as they contemplate their fate in the workplace. I’m talking about folks who have made a habit of being fake, unkind and yes even sinister. I’m talking about folks who wouldn’t know an original thought if it bit them on the clit or dick or if they stole it from an unsuspecting intern or other worker. It’s funny when folks spend time out of their day trying to stab people in the back without realizing they’ve positioned themselves to have the knife firmly planted in their back(s). (SOURCE)
http://bittervibes.blogspot.com/2006/06/new-issue-of-jewel-random-thoughts.html

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.