Until we, the fans stand up and be counted for then hip-hop is on repeat mode?.

7 Syns

Frusturation.

Over the last few years hip-hop fans, in particular the heads from N.Y. have seen an ever-more decreasing amount of "east-coast" branded emcee's with something to say dropping records. Or to put it simple, emcee's/rapper's whom are just tight!. So as I tried to point my finger on the reason as to why this is happening I found myself going back some years making comparisons and such.

Back in the golden era which some would say is in between 1988 to 1995, alot of the New York born/bred rapper's were dropping gems right, left and center. Most were on major labels and everytime something fly came out, we knew about it be it from other forms of sources outside of the internet. The Source, the radio, the corner bootlegger etc..

I think it's common knowledge these days that major labels only want sugar-coated rapper's who don't really go beyond the "shoot-em-up" tales and "fuck-the-world" attitude. Throw in a couple of lovey-dovey songs and club songs and bingo!. Instant post '98 rap star. From the rise (and downfall) of Ja Rule to the power-hunger 50 Cent to the next dude who's "o.k." but not original when rhymes and reason are concerned. It's the same ol' same ol'.

So what am I babbling on about now? Well for example, in 1994 talent made you who you are. Nas to Biggie.. same story in 1995/1996 but talent had transformed more into what you had to say Jigga to AZ.. But now in 2005 no one is saying anything and the talent is starving. If say talent or a story got you a deal back in the day like Nas, Biggie, DMX, AZ, OC and other N.Y.C. emcee's did then how is hip-hop going to further more evolve these days?

It's this reason, the labels not caring anymore for that story or that talent why Papoose hasn't dropped. Saigon hasn't dropped. Ali Vegas in no where in sight. Without the same old cliché cats like Cassidy and Lloyd Banks would also be in the same boat as the previous mentioned. I mention these emcee's because like it or not, they are the future (in the meantime anyways) of New York's scene. Each is quite different from the next, even though most are branded as just a mixtape/punchline rapper.. I don't believe that, I think they have something to say and by what Ive heard from each, they all have talent. Don't agree? It's cool.

These young dude's have the potential to say be the next Nas (Saigon), Biggie (Papoose), Jigga (Banks) and so on. But without our intervention to start supporting them more these labels won't give a damn about their story and their talent. So we'll hear instead a half-assed debut with sugar coated clichés, same old tired references and their follow up's won't be any better. The result? (fill in name) R&B Rapper Version. 20 or Version 30. etc.

A rapper doesn't have to sell 1 mill plus to be considered a star in hip-hop in my view, the talent is what gives them that status. That's how I'll always see it. If say 350, 000 fans cop Papoose's debut or Saigon's debut in overall amounts then the labels will be like :damn WHA?!.. They never heard of these dude's and for them to see a no-name (in their eyes) get that much attention on a constant basis then I believe in time shit will change.

After a couple then next big name blowing won't be R&B Rapper Version. 20 but instead a new cat with mad talent and a real story to back it.

Fans will always be the key to hip-hop's future... 'til we realize that then we'll keep getting hit by the same old same old everytime.

Opinions, comments etc..
peace.

yayo

7 Syns said:
A rapper doesn't have to sell 1 mill plus to be considered a star in hip-hop in my view, the talent is what gives them that status. That's how I'll always see it.
Well said man, that's how I feel. :thumb:

Alot of my friends have departed from listening to rap because of the current shit that's coming out these days, it's barely rap anymore.

I don't want to sound like a huge hater, but a classic example is G-Unit, it's starting to sound like Barbie's party mix. Before there used to be a 'healthy' level of whose got the better cars/houses/boats/women, but it's blown out of proportion now.

I've said it a few times before, I feel rap died in 1996-1997. Yeah some good albums/tracks have come out since then, but it's never been the same since.

ARon

Every member who posts in street hop should have to read this post to continue posting, almost all of your posts, you actually contribute.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
But rather than buy Saigons, Papoose, *enter any rapper here* albums, the hip-hop "fan" will doenload them. It's too easy, and 99% of fans are too cheap. I started a thread on here a few weeks back asking honestly who buys albums of the artists they love... And although the Poll backed Yes, most people who replied said that if they're honest it's too easy to download.

TCD

Nowadays the only way most rappers will shift good numbers is either by making a couple of r'n'b songs (i.e Cassidy) or they have a strong fanbase (nas) or if they stop making music for the hood and make it for the club (50 Cent) Since when did rappers have to go to the gym to help sell numbers?

And I know if I get an album atleast 10 other people will also "have" the album because i'll either copy it and sell it or just let other friends copy it.

yes!!!
we need to open our own business, save ur money, quit payin mother fuckers for jerry curls, quit payin mother fuckers for perms, save ur money, this is our future rite here, the new generation is born!!!

ima tell u rite now, if i have to die today, for this little african right here to have a future, im a dead mother fucker!!!

Lok

Pittsey said:
But rather than buy Saigons, Papoose, *enter any rapper here* albums, the hip-hop "fan" will download them. It's too easy, and 99% of fans are too cheap. I started a thread on here a few weeks back asking honestly who buys albums of the artists they love... And although the Poll backed Yes, most people who replied said that if they're honest it's too easy to download.
If the album is worth buying, then people will buy it. The reason why more people on this board "prefer" downloading over buying, is because most of the users here are under 19. Consequently they don't have any job/money to be buying the albums with.
Folks are still "living" on allowance. Why buy a cd when I can buy candy...

roaches

Not this bullshit again. First that Doom/Kanye thread, now this. The posters I thought weren't idiots are letting me down hard this week.

Speaking of real east coast hip hop, which of the boot camp albums have dropped so far that were supposed to drop?

I haven't really heard of seen anything lately

roaches

Speaking of real east coast hip hop, which of the boot camp albums have dropped so far that were supposed to drop?
Buckshot's Chemistry and Sean Price's Monkey Barz. The only one left is Smif N Wesson's Smif N Weff: Reloaded, which comes out 9/13.

roaches said:
Buckshot's Chemistry and Sean Price's Monkey Barz. The only one left is Smif N Wesson's Smif N Weff: Reloaded, which comes out 9/13.
Cool, I'm gonna go and try and pick up the Sean Price, maybe the Buckshot...

Speaking of OC in this thread, his album should also be dope later on this year :thumb:

plenty of real East Coast hip hop coming out, personally I prefer the BCC Triple Threat and a OC album and probably Middle Passage from Tech over a Papoose or Banks album

ARon

See people need to get that well the underground is putting out good music shit out of their head. No one hears that, if you want this culture to grow it is simple. You aren't pushing barriers by "reaching those who already know about it." And if you wanted this culture and art to continue to grow and innovate than it is what the mainstream puts out that will dictate Hip-Hop' future.

AmerikazMost

No matter what 'we the fans' do, we'll never outweigh the millions upon millions of pseudo-hip hop fans that just want to hear a good beat with half-assed rhymes so they have something to dance to. I don't expect anything in the industry to change any time soon.

_carmi

me, myself & us
nice post 7 syns, but like amerikazmost said, even if we do buy those albums.. we are not enough to change the hip hop world. there is too many pseudo hip hop fans in the world buying some 50 cent.

also about the downloading thing, not everybody got the money to buy the albums. most of us dont have a job and everything. and yeah downloading is so easy and burn cds too. :(

7 Syns

roaches, this isn't about the state of hip-hop on a broader scale etc etc.. this is simply the fact that many rapper's make music which maybe contributes to 15% of their albums that they are made to make if they want healthy sales. The reason being the mainstream appeal ofcourse, but the labels pushing them to do so. So the numbers come and whatever else. I feel that if we start supporting new acts now in numbers, especially in the New York district then in a matter of time I can see these new acts going on to be the next top names in hip-hop slowly taking over from the reigns of the Jigga's and Nas'.

Take for example the South, the reason they blew up so big over the last few years is because they had a massively packed underground scene. That scene was overwhelmingly supported by fans, indie albums selling something like 100, 000 to 200, 000. Those are huge numbers on an indie. Major labels saw this and decided "ok, these dude's are selling huge amounts with no push it's time we step in and start signing" ofcourse for their own well being (the labels). But it comes back to down to the fans support, had they not gone out and supported these acts like the T.I's or Lil' Flip's or Mike Jone's regardless how tight or wack they maybe. They would never get on a major. T.I. is a different story, perhaps a bad example.

But you get the drift im heading at? 'Till we start supporting these new cats from the east or the west at the get-go, 90% of the big names that'll emerge will be carbon copy's of what works for the majors now-a-days over and over. More sugar coated rappers.

Im an idiot and you're a jack-ass. what a wonderful world

peace.

7 Syns

speaking of BCC, I thought Sean Price's Monkey Bars was average. After reading a few threads and what-so about how nice it was I decided to go cop it, after a couple of spins I thought 'yeah it's ok, but abit lackluster'. The beats were up and down, some were nice and other's I personally didn't really dig. Anyone who's heard Chemistry by Buckshot & 9th Wonder, how is that in comparison" Better, worse? Dunno?

peace.

im feeling what you have to say man. only thing that i'm going to disagree with is cassidy and lloyd banks having something to say, i dont deny that rappers like them are the future unless we support cats with talent

a

7 Syns said:
speaking of BCC, I thought Sean Price's Monkey Bars was average. After reading a few threads and what-so about how nice it was I decided to go cop it, after a couple of spins I thought 'yeah it's ok, but abit lackluster'. The beats were up and down, some were nice and other's I personally didn't really dig. Anyone who's heard Chemistry by Buckshot & 9th Wonder, how is that in comparison" Better, worse? Dunno?

peace.
i just picked them both up after roach's said they were out, i kinna know what youre sayin about the sean price one, i already heard some of the songs however I still think it's better then "lackluster"

between them both, i prefer the Buckshot cd, i thought Buckshot came pretty good and im still spinning this cd at home and in ride (i know i just got it but still ive been killing it)

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.