558ab4
peace to matthew schneider
lix.in

Dre
RZA
Extra P
Preemo
The Bomb Squad

As far as originality and pushing the envelope goes, only the above five beatmakers are seeing him, and overall I'd put him over the Bomb Squad (it ain't Hank and Keith's fault that the law stifled em... but it did stifle em).

The dynamics on ISWYD are ridiculous... like Kanye West and Jon Brion should make a suicide pact ridiculous. "Tasmanian Pain Coaster" for the first time is the most exciting experience with a hip-hop record (not in a goddamn that Clipse album is finally dropping way, but in a Oh my God I just pressed play and this shit is coming out of my speakers) I've listened to since the flip on Edan's "Making Planets", which it's lightyears beyond anyhoo.

Timbaland is another person who should kill himself after hearing this - while he and Lil Jon are busy jacking trance and techno records for ideas, El-P took industrial shit and made it sound like angels vibrating their lips against my balls.

His use of synths = A

The beats in general = A+. He makes samples his bitch, man. I'm all for traditional hip-hop, but there are too many simple ass good but not great beats out there that exist because mediocre producers hide their lack of ideas behind lies that they just wanna keep it real.

People oughta be taking note on the way he uses negative space. And the way he uses guest artists.

a lot of has been said about el-p's rapping. i like his rapping. it definitely fits the music. "paradise lost" is in blank verse for a reason. his lyrics are dope - he's like keith olbermann and philip dick's grimy bastard child.

* if you like boom bap
* if you wanna hear something new
* if you have an even slightly open mind
go find this album and listen to it on anything that produces decent sound and listen to it (please don't pm me for a link, i won't notice it for days and while now that i think about it i probably will notice my pms because i will remember having typed about them in a post it's valentine's day and i think after lost airs i will go scrounge up lonely pussy and exploit it and anyways, uh, read this post again).

if you don't fall into the above, listen to it anyway and thank me later.

PuffnScruff

i've been getting into him the past few months. i never gave him much attention before then rizzle turned me on to his music. the only album i have is Collecting The Kid. do you have any recommendations on which of his albums i should check out or get next

you know whats funny is, i been listening to cats off Definitve Jux for a while, but never ended up listening to El-Ps shit.. thanks for that track, ima defitely check for the album.

* if you like boom bap
* if you wanna hear something new
* if you have an even slightly open mind
^^Listen to Brother Ali's new one called Undisputed Truth

Chronic

PuffnScruff said:
i've been getting into him the past few months. i never gave him much attention before then rizzle turned me on to his music. the only album i have is Collecting The Kid. do you have any recommendations on which of his albums i should check out or get next
El-P - Fantastic Damage
Company Flow (El-P + Bigg Jus + Mr. Len) - Funcrusher Plus
Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein (produced entirely by El-P)
Cage - Hell's Winter (overseen by El-P, produced a good chunk of the album)

I wasn't expecting anything less than amazing for this record. 2007 is going to be insane, I can feel it in my left testicle.

roaches

i don't think you guys realize how serious how i am with this

so i'll be clear

i'll sleep when you're dead

the new album by el-p, the founder/ceo/head cracker in charge of definitive jux records/keystone of rawkus records/company flow front man

is a great fucking album

how great?

albums that i was just as excited about hearing as i was about iswyd:
* game theory - the roots
* hell hath no fury - the clipse
* that's it, assholes.

it is better than every album i just listed.

it's better than some of the albums that you (and i) would put in our top ten lists, but we will never admit it because of its new-newness (c) lauren london and its context - it's a fucking album by the father of so-called nerd rap, for fuck's sake.

"there are no atheists in the foxhole"
- seriously, once you listen to and digest el-p's lyrics, who's fucking with them? everyone else in hip-hop is either too wrapped up in rhymes to really say what they want to or (small, small, small small small minority) so far in abstraction that whatever say is incomprehensible.

the music.

oh my god.

have i ever talked about el-p's beats?

i'm pretty sure i've made a post saying "t.o.j." on fantastic damage is a perfect breakup song. if i haven't, i definitely should've. actually, i shouldn't have. two of my best friends, who've been dating for a couple of years, hit a rock in the road that might have finished them off as a couple tonight. maybe it's just because of the context (let me add that i am ver drunk right now) "the overly dramatic truth" is one of the greatest songs i've ever heard right now. definitely tops time is outta joy my love.

seriously

i haven't been so excited about a hip-hop record since MF DOOM's first lp started to make sense to me.

yall trust me?

i put yall on to little brother + the justus league
i made lil wayne cool for yall
i made it ok to dislike talib kweli
i criticized pac without being a troll

yall should trust me

trust me

this record is fucking amazing

i find ways to work it into the most inappropriate times these days

my boys were chilling in my trailer tonight, having a few beers before we headed to parades - i should've banged the new three-6, the new cham, something off the last weezy mixtape, maybe something off that good/bad/queen since we're all stoner fucks

nah, it was tpc (cop a feel or two).

when i tell about these record, i feel the kinda urgency i felt wheni was telling certain motherfuckers to watch a certain youtube video (at least one of you was among this crowd - to the rest of yall: you wouldn't like it)

listen to this shit for a week, man
let it digest
you will love it
if not...?
if you really give it a bit of patience, that's not even an issue.

if i'm lyin, i'm dying
shit

Farzin

I am going to give it a listen. I know a long time ago i was looking for some music and you introduced me to Elzhi and he is dope so i'll give it a listen and let you know what i think. Which album exactly are you talking about?

^^^ El P - I'll Sleep When Your Dead

... I wanna lissen to it, but I need to get some time when I can acually pay attention to it. Instead of having it playing in the background, so I'll prolly do that next time I'm at school (wednesday)

~peace

roaches

Mp3 download of "Smithereens" and the video for "Flyentology" with Trent Reznor:

http://www.adultswim.com/williams/music/defswim/index.html

"Smithereens" video, mp3 for "Flyentology" (kinda weird...):

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/18/arts/music/18herm.html?_r=1&ref=music&oref=slogin

Live performance of "The Overly Dramatic Truth" - this is with El-P's new touring band, and you can tell here that they need some more rehearsing, but, you know:

http://www.prefixmag.com/blog/prefi...ve-el-p-the-overly-dramatic-truth-live-video/

Tonight this album made me shave my head, put on a black hoodie, and dance with some krylon and bricks for the first time since I was in high school (peace to the Anacostia).

Big Flipp

Chronic said:
I wasn't expecting anything less than amazing for this record. 2007 is going to be insane, I can feel it in my left testicle.
for me it's the right testicle.

But for real this is going to be a great year for hiphop. El-P set the bar high but I recently downloaded Sage's upcoming album and damn that shit is fucking crazy as well as Ali's. Those three albums alone are better than any three last year and there is a shit ton more promising albums to look forward to this year.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.