Underrated Lyricists

Shot 21

When people talk of lyrical rappers, the same names come up. Big Pun, Crooked I, Eminem, Canibus, Big L etc. But there are a few people who never get mentioned who I think are pretty sicc lyricists:

Fabolous
Cuban Link
Loon
Proof (R.I.P)
Fat Joe

And here are a few who could be lyrical at times:

Notorious B.I.G (R.I.P)
Jay Z
Kanye West
Nas
2 Pac (R.I.P)

Who do yall think are underrated lyricists?

I'll say Cormega, AZ, Immortal Technique, Ras Kass, Sly Boogy, Boo Kapone, Balance and even DMX (contrary to many peoples thoughts).
These three I'll put in your second category - Kool G Rap, Tragedy Khadafi, KRS-One & Ice Cube.

Shot 21

KAMIKAZI said:
Yea, Fat Joe is a sicc lyriscist and Nas can be lyrical at times.. your list is flawed.
I suggest you listen closely to Fat Joe. Get Jelous Ones Still Envy and you will see that my list isnt flawed. Same with Nas how can you not realise this!

Shot 21 said:
I suggest you listen closely to Fat Joe. Get Jelous Ones Still Envy and you will see that my list isnt flawed. Same with Nas how can you not realise this!
My point is, you put Nas lower on the list.

Nas > Fat Joe.

Bobby Sands

Originally Posted by Shot 21
And here are a few who could be lyrical at times:

Notorious B.I.G (R.I.P)
Nas

Lyrical at times?How about all the time lol.

Originally Posted by Shot 21
Big Pun wrote all of Fat Joes best work.He is a fake bitch.

Some artists that i would see as lyrically underrated would be:

2Pac-Some might not agree.He is more renowned for his deep lyrics,but i think he lyrically excellent on a lot of songs.

Redman
Cuban Link
Inspectah Deck
Kurupt.
ODB-Was fucking awesome on Wu's first album and his first solo album.
Shyheim
Prodigy

Ill think of more later.

linx

Staff member
Fat Joe was definitely ill back in the day when Terror Squad was sick as hell. And don't make a list of underrated with Biggie and Pac pleas. Not even Nas. If you wanna go underrated, lets talk Az, Redman, Royce, Cuban Link, Fabolous and more. Proof was a hell of a lyricsist also and it sucks people are just realizing that now that he died.

I would say

Jeru The Damaja
Shyheim (back in the day)
Genelec & Memphis Reigns
Funkdoobiest (his first 2 albums)
Tha Alkaholiks (up until XO experience)
KRS-One
Jean Grae (back in the day)

are all underrated by the the average hiphop listener for their lyrical talents!

no one hasmentioned method man yet, im always impressed with what he hs to bring to the table, hes pure class on the blackout album!

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
nuthin but love said:
Agree on Masta Ace's early shit and also on Eminem but up until MM LP and then especially Infinite! but def not on their whole repertoire
He's still a great lyricist. Even now, check him on most of his guest spots. It's just his albums which are crap.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.