UK - Urban music star Romeo cleared of attack

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Former So Solid Crew star Romeo has been cleared of attacking a fellow clubber in a car park. The 24-year-old - real name Marvin Dawkins - and a friend were accused of attacking Ejay Armstrong in 2004.

The Old Bailey heard that Romeo had gone to help friends who had become involved in a row after a night out at a club in Leicester Square. The judge formally found both Romeo and Thomas Engola, 27, not guilty after the jury failed to reach verdicts. Both had denied wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. It was the second time a jury had failed to reach a verdict for both defendants and the prosecution said it would not be seeking a further trial.

Sarah Forshaw, prosecuting, had told the jury, Romeo and his group had all been to the Cirque club, in Leicester Square - as had Mr Armstrong and his friends. She added Romeo, from Rotherhithe in south-east London, had gone to assist family and friends after they became involved in a dispute in a car park. Ms Forshaw told the court the knife-wielding star slashed Ejay Armstrong's jawline during the confrontation.

But Romeo's said he was acting as a peacemaker during the row. He told the jury: "All I was trying to do was cool it down or stop it. I was more or less lecturing everyone."

Speaking outside court, Romeo said: "My image as a person, as an individual, has always been about peace and love - that's what I believe in. So Solid Crew was formed when we had a dream, when we were younger. We came from a hard background and tried to fulfil that dream and give other people a chance in life. We failed. But we have left the statement where others can follow in our footsteps, lifting people from the streets and giving them the opportunity to further their lives."

Source: BBC News

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.