UK: Streets back with album and tour

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
The Streets Mike Skinner is back with a brand new album and a tour to promote it.

The album features the usual array of tracks. Some serious, some light hearted. Always on point and a reflection of the society we live in. One of the darker tracks reflects on a low point in Mike's life, the loss of his dad.

The Streets front man admits that he drunk heavily and took copious amounts of crack and cocaine to help cope with the bereavement. His Dad died a year and a half ago while Mike was enjoying massive commercial success with A Grand Don’t Come for Free.

As The Star reveals, new track "Pranging Out" (a colloquialism for taking cocaine) from upcoming album The Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living, deals with the emotional turmoil, paranoia and substance abuse he went through.

The lyrics read: "There are voices talking to me / I’m gonna do something stupid."

"Getting frightened of fuck all. I don’t want anyone to see me like this."

It continues: "Carelessly racking out the prang (cocaine) just to deal with the fear… Death now seems like an easier option."

But there's also the lighter side. The first single, "When You Wasn't Famous", which is receiving heavy radio play. Sees Mike reflect on how easy it is to get girls when you're famous, unless the girl is also famous that is. All in all it's another sure fire hit for the Brummie rapper.

The single is officially released on March 27th, followed by the album release on April 10th.

Tour Dates are as follows;

• 27.04.06 Manchester Apollo
    28.04.06 Glasgow Carling Academy
    29.04.06 Edinburgh Corn Exchange
    30.04.06 Aberdeen Music Hall
    02.05.06 Newcastle Carling Academy
    03.05.06 Nottingham Rock City
    04.05.06 Bristol Colston Hall
    06.05.06 Liverpool University
    07.05.06 Birmingham Carling Academy
    08.05.06 Southampton Guildhall
    10.05.06 Exeter Great Hall
    11.05.06 London Brixton Carling Academy
    12.05.06 Leeds Metropolitan University

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
Am I sleeping on his first album? One of my friends had it but I never got down to listening to it.

I like the news report, by the way. Good shit Pitts.

His first album is very good but has more of a garage sound than A Grand Don't Come For Free - it's worth picking up, and because it's old now you should be able to find it on the cheap.

Haven't heard any of his new songs but I'll defintely cop the album.

i've brought the album on the day of release and it's his best yet. i've got the other two and they are both brilliant, there is so much energy and hard work gone into both lyrics and production. Make sure you hear:
Two Nations
Never Went To Church
Can't Con An Honest John

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.