UK: John Barnes to rap England World Cup song

John Barnes, 42, is coming out of retirement to record a charitable rap song for England’s world cup efforts. The ex-England footballer, who is now a TV presenter, earned seventy nine caps for his country and scored twelve goals.

Virgin Radio is running a competition for fans to pen the song which will be called ‘The People’s Anthem’, with all the proceeds going to The Teenage Cancer Trust. "As long as it has a bit of soul and rhythm to it then I'll do it," he said. "If you write a rap like Kanye West or Busta Rhymes, something which gives me a bit more street cred, a bit of a gangsta rap, then I will gladly do it.”

Barnes has dabbled in music twice before: he rapped on New Order’s 'World in Motion' in 1990 and sang on the 1998 Liverpool track, 'Anfield Rap'.

In his career Barnes played for Watford, Newcastle United, Charlton Athletic and Liverpool. He was also part of the England squad that made it to the semi-finals of the 1990 world cup.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.