UGK graces this Months SOURCE cover!!

Never thought i would see it in a million years, UGK on the cover of the source. Both Pimp C and Bun B on the cover. The article was really interesting. Ill hit a couple highlights for the UGK heads out there.

1.Pimp C penned over 3000 songs during his 4 year term.
2.Pimp C earned his GED in Prison.
3.Bun B used to tutor Pimp C in high school. Pimp said they would be sitting on the trunks/hoods of broken down cars sellin drugs and doing homework at the same time.
4.Their new album is going to be self-titled and is due out in the fall of this year.

There are a lot of small interesting facts (a lot more than i have listed) about the group and how they began. The article basically talks about how they formed, pimps and buns strong friendship, and their future as a group. The only thing i was dissapointed about was them not revealing details about the whole Jive situation. This is their last release on Jive Records, so we might find out more after their album is released.

This article got me pumped the fuck up for all things UGK. 2006 is UGK's year and they are about to EXPLODE.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Damn. That means I have to go looking for a shop that still sells The Source in the UK. :(

New Album though. :thumb:

ARon

I'm really not a fan of their solo efforts. Another UGK album on the way and I'll be mad excited, but solo, something that I'll look for you know.

Also, why in a million years would you never think to see them o nthe cover?

Aristotle said:
I'm really not a fan of their solo efforts. Another UGK album on the way and I'll be mad excited, but solo, something that I'll look for you know.

Also, why in a million years would you never think to see them o nthe cover?
Im a fan more of Pimp's solo album than bun's never thought that was a possibility. From what ive read pimp's album mostly contained "freestyles" according to him. His normal recording process is listening to the beat, going into the studio and freestyling his verses, then he exits the booth and sits down and listens to them. As he listens to them he edits mistakes and fills in missing words. He then writes down exactly what he wants to say and rerecords the final cut.

Also Pimp was only like 2% involved with his album and .1% involved with bun's album, due to being incarcirated. Pimp ALWAYS produces the majority of UGK albums and everything that UGK puts their stamp on. So now that UGK is complete, im not really gonna judge em on their solo efforts due to the fact that they were under non-normal circumstances.

reason for me saying that i never thought they would be on the cover was because i didnt think they were popular enough. They dont make videos u see on mtv (they make videos but you just dont see em on video channels), in other words their faces and images are not being shoved down Americans throats like other artists. I also have been an ENORMOUS UGK fan since like 96-97, they just seem to speak to me, their beats, the way the put their words together, the way theyre not giving a fuck, staying high. Their Ridin Dirty is without a doubt the MOST played album in my collection. It speaks to me, it speaks to my mindstate, its just real rap to me, talking about real problems, and breaking the mold of southern rappers. Smooth flowing dudes and i love em. That cd holds so much sentimental value to me, and it will be the first cd, on the first page of my cd book, for the rest of my life. Everytime i pop on that Ugk inparticular, i pick a song, not only does the song take me on a journey, my mind takes me back to another particular time in which i was listenin to that same song, wheather it be good or bad, i love it, it makes me a more complete person in my mind, it makes me think of my past, all the bad shit, makes me wanna learn from my stupid ass mistakes, inspires me....shit i could go on forever. But they have a special place in my mind and heart and i just simply didnt think they would make the cover on of the most popular magazine in the rap/hip-hop world.

"Im smoking skunk and poppin that trunk to make me feel better" Pimp C. Although this rhyme is kind of predictable, it is how i live me life, its me. I smoke weed and listen to music LOUD AS FUCK to escape from my trials and tribulations. Nothing and i mean nothing soothes my soul like a little weed and a little UGK, then sprinkle in a little Sam Cooke, and my soul is at peace!

ARon

Ridin Dirty is one of my favorites.
But I think UGK is bigger than you think. They get played on the radio here, we're not even in the south. It isn't regular radio but it's like a seperate show they have every sunday night, still. People still remember them from Big Pimpin I'm sure.

Good point about him being in jail though, maybe thats why they didnt turn out like i expected.

Aristotle said:
Ridin Dirty is one of my favorites.
But I think UGK is bigger than you think. They get played on the radio here, we're not even in the south. It isn't regular radio but it's like a seperate show they have every sunday night, still. People still remember them from Big Pimpin I'm sure.
i know their pretty big, all their albums are gold with absolultley no videos and very little radio airplay. And i know that in the south they are like gods, they been around for almost 20 years. But i see what ur saying.

Its just too good to be true that theyre on the cover, it about made me shit a brick.

PS-check ur public profile.(aristotle)

7 Syns

I want Riding Dirty, can't find it anywhere here. But yeah great news :thumb:.. btw I like the little title at the top of the issue saying "Now 100% Benzino Free". Classic.

peace.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
7 Syns said:
I want Riding Dirty, can't find it anywhere here. But yeah great news :thumb:.. btw I like the little title at the top of the issue saying "Now 100% Benzino Free". Classic.

peace.
Amazon have it cheap if you order throught their partners.

ARon

7 Syns said:

peace.
Wait Wait Wait. You just dont have it, or you never heard it?
I'll up it tonight for you if you haven't heard it yet.

7 Syns said:

peace.
Ridin dirty is every where man. i see it at every store i go. The only one that is hard to find where im from is Super Tight.

Yea, I agree, Super Tight is hard as fuck to find round here too man.......Have ya'll seen the video for T.I. Side to Side featuring U.G.K.? It's a remake of their old Side to Side but with an updated beat and new verses.....The track and video are both tight, with Pimp C.

Dude I hate to tell you this but it's...

I'm smoking that skunk and poppin that trunk to make me feel good....

By the way, I think you love them as much as me... you should hit me up sometime I got a lot of MP3z... maybe we xchange some shit...

YoungGunner said:
Dude I hate to tell you this but it's...

I'm smoking that skunk and poppin that trunk to make me feel good....

By the way, I think you love them as much as me... you should hit me up sometime I got a lot of MP3z... maybe we xchange some shit...
Well i was referring to the track "Like Yesterday". I know he says the line that u typed out in diamonds n wood. But yeah holler at me through pm or aim if u wanna switch tracks and what not.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.