?uestlove has reasonable doubts about Jay-Z concert

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
As musical director for Jay-Z’s Radio City Music Hall performance of his Reasonable Doubt album Sunday, Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson of the Roots has concerns that the retired rapper may need to brush up on some of his lyrics, considering the words are all 10 years old.

"Unless you do [the songs] night after night, there's a chance you could forget," Thompson told MTV. "In [Jay's] case, I'm suggesting — I've seen Springsteen do it, R.E.M. do it, Bowie do it — I'm suggesting that [there] be a teleprompter. There are too many words in '22 Two's' [and] 'Regrets.' Right now he's playing the album over and over again, learning words. He says he's gonna know everything.”

?uest says even the best artists forget their most classic lyrics. He adds: "Nas forgot 'The World Is Yours' [during our recent show at Radio City]. …I've been in jam sessions with Prince and we've started songs of his that were our life staples and he was like, 'I forgot those lyrics.' Me and D'Angelo played 'The Ballad of Dorothy Parker' and [Prince] forgot the bridge. That's one of the greatest bridges in modern black music. How do you forget the bridge to 'Ballad of Dorothy Parker'? We did 'Liquid Swords' with GZA last week in L.A. and he was like, 'I only know the first verse.'"

Another concern is the song, "Ain’t No Nigga," a duet with Foxy Brown who is now suffering from severe hearing loss. Also, the song "Bring It On" features Jay-Z's estranged friends Jaz-O and Sauce Money. Who will cover their verses?

"'Bring It On' [has] my favorite [DJ] Premier loop," Thompson told MTV, adding it’s the record he’s most looking forward to performing. "The problem is it's a posse cut. [Who knows what's going on with] Jaz-O and Sauce Money. I don't want to cut one verse of that song. That is my favorite song on ‘Reasonable Doubt.’ I gotta figure out a way to prolong it. Make [Jay] bust a second verse or something.”

For the Notorious B.I.G. duet "Brooklyn's Finest," Thompson says they'll have a "slight trick."

"This show, I will say that this is gonna be a challenge," he continued. "It's sort of like doing a magic trick when you have to destroy a building and [then] that building is demolished. You've got one shot. We're gonna do a very different approach. Yes, we're gonna do ‘Reasonable Doubt.’ But the question is, how are we gonna do it? I got my work cut out [for me]."

AmerikazMost

I think it could be a problem for Jay since he does everything off the top. He never writes things down, so there's a lot of improvising everytime he raps. He's gonna have to listen to the album for hours a day 'til the concert to hope to get it down pat.

^^^^They all say they don't write,but it's bullshit....He may be a good freestyler and remember what he wants to say,but he does write....No record label is gonna pay big money for you to just freestyle and not make a lot of sense.But I agree,he does need to do some practicing.

Diaz

thadeadlyfoe said:
^^^^They all say they don't write,but it's bullshit....He may be a good freestyler and remember what he wants to say,but he does write....No record label is gonna pay big money for you to just freestyle and not make a lot of sense.But I agree,he does need to do some practicing.
That doesn't literally mean he freestyles, he just thinks of all his raps prior to recording without writing it down.

Even with that said, I don't think he does all of his raps without writing down the verses.

AmerikazMost

thadeadlyfoe said:
yeah, as i diaz said, i didn't mean freestyling

for th emost part, biggie didn't write them down either

Shot 21

For the Notorious B.I.G. duet "Brooklyn's Finest," Thompson says they'll have a "slight trick."

Guerilla Black will perform Biggies verse.

Seriously though how did Jay Z and Jaz O fall out?

FroDawgg

thadeadlyfoe said:
even if people thought he was just freestyling, remember he didn't start off on a major label. he and dame start the roc and got him established before they signed to a major label and released RD. so he had proven himself; it didn't matter if he wrote or not.

Pittsey said:
?uest says even the best artists forget their most classic lyrics. He adds: "Nas forgot 'The World Is Yours' [during our recent show at Radio City]. …I've been in jam sessions with Prince and we've started songs of his that were our life staples and he was like, 'I forgot those lyrics.' Me and D'Angelo played 'The Ballad of Dorothy Parker' and [Prince] forgot the bridge. That's one of the greatest bridges in modern black music. How do you forget the bridge to 'Ballad of Dorothy Parker'? We did 'Liquid Swords' with GZA last week in L.A. and he was like, 'I only know the first verse.'"

Wow.....thats a good point, I really want to hear these "jam sessions" hmmmmmm thats insane.......and the Gza part explain alot the Ghostface DVD I have that came with my copy of Fishscale shows a Oct 2005 at BB Kings spot and Gza performs Liquid Swords but only does the first verse there too........the 2nd verse is the best one though :(

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.