Top 10 Worst of the Best MCs of All Time

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Top 10 Worst of the Best MCs of All Time
by Brian Gaffey aka DJ BRI-G

http://bumsquaddjz.com/interviews/?p=120

I know I'm gonna catch some hate for this list. Over the years there have been several rappers who, either through great beat selection or crossover popularity have gotten way too much credit. Below is the list of the Top 10 Worst Famous Rappers of All Time. While there may be worse rappers than the guys on this list, they aren't nearly the stars that these MCs are. Think of this as the worst of the best.

Greg Nice

Hands down, Greg Nice is the worst famous rapper of all time. While Smooth B isn't exactly Rakim either, he pretty much held down the lyrical side of Nice & Smooth. Greg Nice might have some of the worst rhymes in the history of rap music. "Greg Nice, Greg N-I-C-E, Droppin dem basso ah oui oui, Rock for a fee not for free, Maybe I'll do it for charity, Now my employer or my employee, Is makin Greg N-I-C-E very M-A-D." Nobody's ever listened to a Greg Nice verse and said to themselves, "Damn, Greg be spittin some straight heat!!".

Mike Jones

If Greg Nice is the #1, Mike Jones is #1B. I don't know anybody who's been able to rock a cheesy gimmick for longer except Gilligan. Mike Jones sounds like a rapping muppet with the same lyrical ability of my 7 year old cousin. You should not be allowed to say your name 30 times and call it a record. Who? I don't fucking care.

Guru

Guru is the classic example of how great production and a great voice can make up for a lack of lyrical ability. Guru has spit some of the wackest verses over some of the most classic beats ever. You understand how truly wack Guru is when he's on his own, away from the safety net that is DJ Premier. For proof, check out any one of the 39 Jazzmatazz albums. Can you honestly imagine if Premier partnered with a top level rapper to form Gangstar instead of carrying Guru for 15 years. While obviously Gangstar material is still classic Hip Hop to the highest level, could you imagine if he had partnered with a guy like say Kool G Rap?

Diddy

Do me a favor and go back and listen to No Way Out and I dare you to get through one Puff verse without cringing. Puff's so bad that even with other people writing his shit for him, it comes out terrible. His newest album would be a classic just based on the production and the melodies. One problem: Puff's flow is atrocious.

Noreaga

We can't bring up the Noreaga from the classic album War Report, when Tragedy Khadafi and Capone were writing his lyrics. When we can bring up the days since then, when he became N.O.R.E., he's had some of the classic worst lines in rap history. "I get head and I don't even iron my pants." "I only rock jord-ons, I can't stand pip-ons." "You a frizzeak always see you in the strizzeet, walkin walkin til you get widdeak". Nore's swagger and flow have definitely allowed him to maintain a steady career thoughout the years and when you mix that in with some classic production from the likes of the Neptunes and Marley Marl, you get a rap superstar.

Baby

CEO's shouldn't rap, even if they're CEO's in the rap industry. I don't think Bill Gates goes down to the factory and helps package up copies of Office 2007 and Baby shouldn't pick up the mic. We know your rich, you got diamonds in your mouth, and you drive nice cars. Thanks. I don't need to hear an entire album where you repeat those 3 facts over 16 tracks.

Pharrell

Another case of a producer who thinks he can rap. All too often producers feel that they need to crack the mic, and the results are often horrendous. While Manny Fresh might be the worst producer/rapper, he doesn't have nearly the profile that Pharrell has. I understood who truly bad Pharrell was as a rapper when I listened to him ruin some classic beats on his mixtape, This guy took some of the greatest beats of all time and spit some of the worst nursery rhyme, cat in the hat, bars in history. The thing about bad rappers is that they run out of content quickly and Pharrell falls right into that realm. You get real sick of hearing about clothes, sneakers, and skateboards real quick, especially from a guy who's not lyrical enough to flip it in different ways.

Erick Sermon

The E-R-I-C-K is a great producer, he's a terrible rapper. He might have carried EPMD on the beat side of things, but when it came to picking up the mic, E. Sermon spit a lot of utter doo doo.

Juelz Santana

Cam'ron is a good rapper who doesn't try and ends up spittin' some terrible shit. Juelz is a bad rapper who doesn't try and ends up spittin' some terrible shit. Juelz is very lucky to be affiliated with Dipset and have solid business people overlooking his career otherwise he'd be hanging out with the Jae Mills and Graft of overhyped New York rappers.

U-God

Wu Tang consists of 9 members and 47 other guys who happen to randomly show up on their albums. In the Wu Tang hierarchy of lyrical ability, U-God is somewhere behind Killa-army. U-God's had one memorable verse in the dozen years of Wu Tang existence. One verse on Triumph, that's it.

One,

Brian Gaffey aka DJ BRI-G
BGaffey187@aol.com
www.myspace.com/djbrig

7 Syns

Guru's a dope emcee, his Jazzamatazz albums shit on alot of so-called classic material imo. I'd also take E-Dub outta that list. Replace them with Nelly, Chingy and Cam'ron (just on the fact that his last good verse came with Big L, Bloodshed were still alive and McGruff was still an active artist)

peac3.

Snowman

i agree with the list except for Erick Sermon, Guru. Erick is an always will be a legend.

yeah (Mike Jones and Juelz Santana 1, 2.) Chingy, Nelly, Missy Elliot should be on this list.

Casey

Staff member
(just on the fact that his last good verse came with Big L, Bloodshed were still alive and McGruff was still an active artist)
I miss McGruff.

For those that don't know, yo, I'm Herb McGruff
I'm on some murder stuff
And when I talk every word is ruff
Front on this and get beat bad
With big bats that bruise, break bones
Then wind up bloody in a bodybag
MC's are live, but I'm mad liver
Aiyo, my rhymes are more funky than a Afghan cab driver
Step to this and get sliced with ease
Ate up like rice and peas
(Herb, can you fight?) Yo, I'm nice with these
Ask the nigga in my last bout
He thought I just was on some gun shit, I had to knock his ass out
Microphones I gotta tear
Peace to Big L, straight from hell
I'm the fuck up outta here
He had an original style and his vocal tone was awesome.

Bobby Sands

U-God

Wu Tang consists of 9 members and 47 other guys who happen to randomly show up on their albums. In the Wu Tang hierarchy of lyrical ability, U-God is somewhere behind Killa-army. U-God's had one memorable verse in the dozen years of Wu Tang existence. One verse on Triumph, that's it.
His verse on gravel pit was very good.I thought he improved over the years.

I didnt expect Guru to be on it but i would have him on it just for his boring monotonous voice and mediocre flow.

ARon

Guru shouldnt be there.

Let me breathe. Is Nelly underrated? His content might not change but he aint all that bad. Maybe its cus I'm only thinkin of his first album.

Like ppl have already mentioned, Guru and Eric Sermon shouldnt be on the list. IMO Guru usually comes dope, not the best, but still dope. Not the biggest fan of Eric Sermon, but theres alot worse out there. I'd put Chingy or Nelly in there probably.

~peace

FroDawgg

why do you guys keep saying nelly? he's def not the best rapper ever, but he's far from the worst. yes, he's put out some wack shit, but he still can hold his own.

Casey

Staff member
Erick Sermon is a dope producer, but he deserves an award for managing to make an entire album about nothing.

seriously, listen to his "chilltown, new york" album. none of it is about anything. no song concepts, not even a single verse about anything. it was rapping for the sake of rapping.

Eric

Yeah I suppose. He's not the only one though, believe me. I guess he just comes to mind first when I think of terrible, yet popular rappers.
How is Lil' Wayne terrible? You know, forget it. I understand there is a fine line--people who think Weezy is the truth or trash. It's pretty much that simple. So we don't need to start something.

Anyway, on to the list. Thanks for this Ruk, I like this guys views.

I agree with what he's saying on Pharrell, but I heard mention of Mannie Fresh in that paragraph. I've read an interview where Mannie said he didn't even want to drop an album, but the label heads made him. I don't think it's fair to put him in the mix in that sense. And Baby should never open his mouth.

Puffy...I'm glad it's being recognized how terrible it is to hear him lately. I can't help but think about how he doesn't write his own rhymes every time he raps. He's off-key or throws too many syllables in a bar, too often. Despite that, No Way Out was a classic. I mean, that was like THE breakthrough rap-to-pop album: Victory, Been Around The World, Been Around The World Remix (I know it wasn't on the cd), I'll Be Missing You, It's All About The Benjamins, It's All About The Benjamins (Rock Remix), Can't Nobody Hold Me Down. That CD was a gem.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
I really like Pharell's flow on snoop's drop it like it's hot and on that one song on the clipse' last album. So, I don't get the hate.

7 Syns

Erick Sermon is a dope producer, but he deserves an award for managing to make an entire album about nothing.

seriously, listen to his "chilltown, new york" album. none of it is about anything. no song concepts, not even a single verse about anything. it was rapping for the sake of rapping.
What about Redman & Keith Murray? Their albums are about nothing, seriously like someone once said listening to a Redman album especially his 1st is like Seinfield on weed. Thats how they do. Alot of dope emcee's rhyme for the fuck of it. On that note, Chilltown New York was an ass album. Compared to Music or React it was garbage.

peac3.

Casey

Staff member
What about Redman & Keith Murray? Their albums are about nothing, seriously like someone once said listening to a Redman album especially his 1st is like Seinfield on weed. Thats how they do. Alot of dope emcee's rhyme for the fuck of it. On that note, Chilltown New York was an ass album. Compared to Music or React it was garbage.

peac3.

I know some big Redman fans that would strongly disagree with that. Whut? Thee Album is a classic, maybe there weren't many concepts, but Red dropped sick punchline after punchline, metaphor after metaphor. Chilltown New York was like listening to somebody rambling on about jack shit in an uninteresting way.

They put my man's Juelz on there. They so wrong for that one. Also, I wouldn't have put Diddy on there. No Way Out was the shit, matter of fact still is.

Truthfully though, they should've put Eazy on there. Dude made some nice ridin' muzik and he's definately a legend. But lyrically, he sucked. His flow was also quite terrible.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.