Timeless hip-hop

Just a change from the recent 50 Cent/G-Unit festivities of Streethop.

Hip-hop is the epitome of postmodernism, and as a result, it relies extensively on its environment and surroundings. For example, the amount of cultural references are difficult for some to ‘get’ if they are not a product of that time. So is hip-hop—in whatever evolutionary phase it is in—destined to be just an anachronism that someone from the late twentieth century can really appreciate, or is it possible for the genre to extend and say Public Enemy can be appreciated by someone who finds It takes a nation of millions... in 2050?

Timeless music (and this may be where this whole discussion enters conflict) to me, appears to be music that can cross historical boundaries and be ‘felt’ by someone regardless of their position in time (for current purposes, I am going to leave out culture). For example, in the West, it appears that classical music produced in the 1700s still appears to have quite a wide fan base. I would mainly consider music that produces universal rhythms to be timeless, so for instance it may be possible for jazz to be appreciated by anybody for some time in the future.

However, I think one main point is the use of lyrics. The use of lyrics certainly does narrow the scope of those who can empathise with what they hear. For example, consider sometime in the future that racism becomes irrelevant. What good will Public Enemy’s music provide anyone other than as a cultural artefact, or is that enough for music to be timeless? There is also the big chance that the social commentaries in hip-hop today will continue to be relevant because the circumstances will not change and thus hip-hop can be used as a measuring stick to show how little/much things have changed.

One thing that does hinder hip-hop’s chances of being a timeless music to me is the use of reference. Hip-hop borrows from popular culture far more than any form of music in terms of its lyrical content. So it begs the question, can some kid in the future feel Q-Tip when he emphasises “the importance of a Skypager”? All this materialism/anti-materialism is going to sound undoubtedly confusing as hell to someone on the outside. And this is not to mention the obscure-as-hell references from someone like MF DOOM and more importantly, the vernacular used. I mean how many people still say ‘gully’ :D, words go out of fashion and makes it difficult for people to make music for the ages.

So can hip-hop be timeless? Can it speak to people beyond this period in history?

What I think is that it can, however the first problem is talking about ‘hip-hop’ as if it were one singular form of music, without its own subdivisions and inner conflicts. Some of the music I believe can be timeless, however the ones which pander to the popular music at the time will suffer an early death (which I believe is a lot of the music coming out of the South). In order for more to become timeless, there needs to be more universal human themes talked about in the content of the lyrics, which is one reason why I think 2Pac is very popular, he tends to talk about himself a lot, and the pain insider, which people no matter what culture or time can empathize with.

So does anyone think that there is any hip-hop which they would consider timeless? For example, I know that there would be people born just a few years ago, who will feel music by such acts as Run-DMC who were on MTV 15 years before they were even born.

ARon

Any generation of music has its topics, some of the greatest and timeless songs ever made were cus of the Viet Nam War, something we couldn't relate too. But still we listen decades later. So yeah Hip-Hop could be timeless, I'm sure we will all be listening and sharing it with our kids and grandkids when we are old so there is no denying it for me. But for someone new to look back at what we started could definitely feel it, especially if Hip-Hop is still around 50 years from now. We talk about what is going on now, people will see like Hip-Hop' version of history, the way we saw it, and that is something compelling to many people on the outside of Hip-Hop today so why wouldnt it be 50 years from now. Right now I'm thinking like it's almost undeniable for it to be.

7 Syns

Ofcourse it can be timeless, because in 50 years there will still be degration and oppression due to ethnic and racial factors so "It Takes A Nation.." will be pumping out the same message which will apply to the future as to the past. Only difference is, people will be more aware that such oppressions are happening.

Songs about the Vietnam war as the person above me mentioned might not be neccessarily be relevant today but it is, if read between the lines. Because there's still war, regardless of it's place taking war is war. So a song made about Viet I think does relate to today because of the bullshit that happened in Yugoslavia or Iraq or in some African countries.

So music can be timeless if there's a message, a message can be dissected into any time frame. Only poppy shit won't be timless, it gets forgotten though occasionally you do have standouts eg. Nuthin But A G Thang.

peace.

So can hip-hop be timeless? Can it speak to people beyond this period in history?
I dont believe the actual situation that the rapper is speaking on will relate directly to people of the futures. But general topics, such as love, hate, anger, etc. will be timeless. Emotions are innate, you know? So those love songs can hold up the test of time, those real angry songs can hold up the test of time. Stuff like that,you know? And of course, the social and economic oppresion that many young black men and women face will hopefully be elminated someday, but when that happens, im sure another group will be facing segregation and so on, its a cycle. So people that sit back and listen to the old school rap, listen to Tupac, to Public Enemy, to whomever, will be able to relate the rappers situation to thier situation, but the exact topic won't relate, it will act as a metaphor to thier situation.

Scoobyffc

Great topic, nice reading...
I agree with you, there is some subjects that remain timeless, that people can relate to, no matter if the subject or issue is present at that time, but if you ever heard of it, or if you can take that lyrics or beat and feel, recycle and just mold(shape) it to fit your view and way of think...

Listen to some Pac song from the early 90´s , its 15 years ago, but theres still violence, racism, war all over the world, politics corruption... i mean, you can picture a perfect picture of what hes talkin about, even if you were 5, 10, 15 years old at that time and didnt care, or didnt think of.... i mean i just " translate" it to fit actual problems.
THe same thing with blues, jazz, i think music, good music, is timeless.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.