• Timbaland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Dre

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Timbaland; who in myu opinion will go down as a great music producer, where as Dr. Dre will just go down as a great hip-hop producer, one of the best ever sure, but he will never attain the Quincy Jones status that Timbaland will.

ARon

Timbo working outside of the genre and not sticking to one does not make him Quincy. He wont attain the status of Quincy cus his quality isnt as good. Rick Ruben does that better than Timbo does, he would be a better fit for music producer rather than Hip-Hop producer. I'm not takin anything away from him but yeah I dont think he is better than Dre.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Dre has just bored me, I cant remember the last really dope beat Dre has put out, right now Storch is bumping out better beats than Dre and most Dre songs on albums recently have been disappointing.

Timbaland keeps impressing me, his production lately is amazing and I dont just mean his beats.

ARon

Yeah I agree that lately Timbo has been puttin out better stuff. I liked some Dre' beats on Kingdom Come, mainly Trouble. That track on Hip-Hop is Dead is good but its not what you expect from Dre. You expect more cus what he has put out in he past. Timbo can put those tracks out and it would be accepted cus you get beats from him that sound good but aren't groundbreaking or great. I expect greatness from Dre and not Timbo cus Timbo hasnt reached that yet I dont think. Thats why I choose Dre.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Dre doesn't sell beats like candy like Timbaland and Storch do...

In terms of creating whole new sounds Dre is superior... Dre has crossed over a little into RNB, but he is the king as far as hip-hop is concerned. I can't think of Timbaland breaking too many barriers... What other genre's besides hip-hop and RnB has he done?

Dre is also a better producer in the real use of the word... He build albums from front to back even if he isn't creating the beats... He gives direction, themes and creative advice... I can't think of any quality albums Timb has taken from front to back.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Pittsey said:
Dre is also a better producer in the real use of the word... He build albums from front to back even if he isn't creating the beats... He gives direction, themes and creative advice... I can't think of any quality albums Timb has taken from front to back.
Nelly fertardo's album and Justin's future sex/love sounds which is an amazing album production wise and is ground breaking in a lot of ways.

Dre has years on Timbo but if Dre came out in 99 around the same time Tim did, dropped 2001 and continued his career the same way; he'd be nothing right now. Dre can't seem to cross over to MUSIC producer, and its not for a lack of trying, and while his beats are dope they lack a creativity that he once had when he broke the mold with the chronic, and in my opinion Timbo is breaking the molds right now and is dropping hot shit. In terms of doing dre, I think stroch does dre hotter than dre does his own style right now.

Most of the hot singles in the pop rnb genre last year were Timbo beats; in a lot of ways he is doing what Quincy did with Michael Jackson with JT right now and if he keeps going he is going to be remembered as a musical genius, where as Dre will just be remembered as a HipHop genius.

ARon

Timbo has done Big Pimpin and such but what other Hip-Hop has he done. I'm not talkin Missy Elliot or even his own shit with Magoo, thats more pop r&b type so what has he done. Timbo might go down as only a good pop music producer if thats the case. Its not like Hip-Hop isnt music so why couldnt Dre be labeled a great music producer. Timbo might work with other artists but how much does that actually mean, I dont think it really says anything to how good of a producer he is.

this is pretty crazy, because i just made a playlist the other day of all of the songs on my iPod produced by Dre; it was pretty unbelievable actually.

i didn't vote, man, because it is way to fukkin difficult to decide. I see it like this:

The cool thing about these to is that, when one of them do a song on an album, do you not call it "the Dre track" or "that Timbo joint"? That's not the case with many others, even when your talking about heavy hitters like Just Blaze, Swizz, Alchemist, Scott Storch, etc.

I would say Timbo has more talent, and maybe more creativity. His DRUMS are far superior and his melodies/harmonies/rhythms are busier and more complex most of the time.

It's still impossible to compare. Dre revolutionized production. Had Dr. Dre never come to be, there's no way of telling what road hip-hop would have gone down... its possible that many if not all of the producers of today would never have even gotten into the game, forget accomplishing what they have.

It's like comparing people to Babe Ruth; no matter what anyone else accomplishes no one will ever be able to surpass him, only join him.

Dre also constucts songs moreso than Timbo, who generally will just compose beats.

Timbo doesn't have the absolute classic beats of Dre either: all of The Chronic, Still D.R.E., The Next Episode, and i geuss you could even count In The Club, and there are obviously tons of others.

Still, it's impossible to compare. Dre is unheraldedly the champ, but it would be unfair to discredit Timbo.

Kadafi Son

1. Dr. Dre did all of Michel'le's first R&B album

2. I think Dre kinda lost his touch as G-Funk disappear.

I pick Dre cuz Timb still has impressed me lately. Idk what ya are talkin' about. Timb shouldn't even be in this list. You should have DJ Quik or somethin

Dre, in my opinion is better. Don't get me wrong, Timb is nice with it. I love his melodies and the different instruments and synths that he uses. But to me, Timbo is more of a "in the moment" producer. When a song is new that he produced, then it's gonna be hot. But as it gets older, it kinda loses value, which is the opposite with Dre. (Not saying that all of Dre's beats are classic and Timb has no classic beats.)

The only reason you don't hear Dre on the radio is because most can't afford him. I heard that he charges $300k per beat.

I read on here that Dre is about to start scoring movies, even though he did some work on Bad Boys 2. The only hip-hop producer that comes to mind about scoring movies is RZA. That's gotta say something.

ARon

This has nothing to do with Rza, its about Timbo or Dre. It's not a favorite producer of all time thing.

Someone was sayin Timbo' drums are a lot better and waht not but i dont think thats true. Dre' drums arent complex so some think they might be bad but they are still tight. I think he just does what fits, so not to overdue it kind of. Plus "G-Funk" was all about drums.

this is like trying to compare magic johnson to jordan, although they were around each other for a part of there careers, the game had changed during that passing of the torch therefore making them hard to compare.
Dre has made classic cd after classic cd, timbaland has made hot track after hot track. they are both great and deserve there dues. to say dre hasn't crossed over at all is wrong, someone else mentioned him producing miche'le's album back in the day, and "family affair" by mary was the shit, and he also did "let me blow your mind" by eve and gwen stefani which if i remember had major rotation for awhile too.
timbaland on the other hand has produced probably an equal amount of r&b and rap, but there is still not that one cd that tim put out that you can sit and listen to through and through and have it just mesmerize you like "the chronic" does. maybe 10 years from now this will be a different story, but as for now, dre off what he did over 10-15 years ago is still the standard to which all other producers will be compared, and even if he has fallin off a little, catalogue versus catalogue to me there isn't another producer that can touch him.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
I just think Storch and Timbaland are too money orientated, and not particular in who has their beats. If you got a Dre beat, you are a star. If you got a Storch beat you paid $30K or so.

storch signing hulk hogans daughter kind of proves he is in it for the money, (because be honest here, she doesn't have the most talent out there)... i mean they all want the money, but i think storch doesn't appreciate the craft the way dre and tim do

i gotta throw in the originality factor here. as dre and his "G-Funk" suffer the same thing Kanye's style still does, all though less so. they sample. the only sampled song i can recall from timbo was the spider man tune he flipped a while back(holla if there's another he did). don't get me wrong, i love when other forms of music get the hip hop treatment. espescially the oldies.

but when bumping the dirty of it, it is what it is. it might not mean much to most of you. but it's difficult to .... respect... another artist's work when he simply steals anothers. just about every single from the chronic was sampled. next episode. hell, the whole G funk thing is drowned in Parliament"ness".

and these kats don't take a lil bit of everything and use it this or that way for their own "style". they snag a half or whole break down. sometimes even the chorus. add a kick and a boom then think they've done something special. acting like their the best thing since the microphone, wanting to throw a child's tantrum when they don't get an award. sure it might sound good, but it takes more than that to measure up.

and Dre simply ain't never measured up to me. not enough to be the comparison for all producers at all. but, i'll have to start giving timb a try again looks like.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Bhuddahhoodlum said:
i gotta throw in the originality factor here. as dre and his "G-Funk" suffer the same thing Kanye's style still does, all though less so. they sample. the only sampled song i can recall from timbo was the spider man tune he flipped a while back(holla if there's another he did). don't get me wrong, i love when other forms of music get the hip hop treatment. espescially the oldies.

but when bumping the dirty of it, it is what it is. it might not mean much to most of you. but it's difficult to .... respect... another artist's work when he simply steals anothers. just about every single from the chronic was sampled. next episode. hell, the whole G funk thing is drowned in Parliament"ness".

and these kats don't take a lil bit of everything and use it this or that way for their own "style". they snag a half or whole break down. sometimes even the chorus. add a kick and a boom then think they've done something special. acting like their the best thing since the microphone, wanting to throw a child's tantrum when they don't get an award. sure it might sound good, but it takes more than that to measure up.

and Dre simply ain't never measured up to me. not enough to be the comparison for all producers at all. but, i'll have to start giving timb a try again looks like.

Hip-Hop is all about sampling... I prefer my hip-hop raw... I hate the big budget albums, videos, concerts... I prefer a drum machine, a sampler and a mic...

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.