Timbaland accused of stealing beats

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Super-producer Timbaland has been accused of jacking a beat from a Finnish man without permission for Nelly Furtado's track "Do It," which appears on her latest album Loose.

A YouTube user named TimbalandRips posted a video claiming that the Virginia musician stole a melody from a track called "Acidjazzed Evening," which was created six years ago by Finnish producer Janne Suni.

In the video, a snippet of Suni's song is played first, followed by parts of Timbaland's track for Furtado. He then leaves it up to listeners to judge the similarities.

Meanwhile, a second YouTube video accuses Timbaland of using the same Suni track for a ringtone he produced last year titled "Block Party."

A posting on what appears to be Suni's official site listed at the end of the YouTube clip reads: "I have been using the services of a law firm since September 2006. I expect to have more information to publish by Tuesday."

Rahim

VIP Member
Staff member
i hope thats not true cause ive been enjoying the stuff he did for nelly fortado a lot....not that it makes a difference now cause i already enjoy the tracks...but if Timbaland really did what he was accused of i think the other guy atleast deserves credits...obviously....

Preach

this is a stupid thing really. with four billion people on this earth, and four decades of modern music history, you can probably make assumptions as to a total number of recorded songs throughout times. to be pessimistic, let's say ten million, although it's probably tenfold that. now out of all those musicians and all those songs, melodies are gonna recurr as will drum patterns and other things. sampling is when you intentionally listnen to a song and try to incorporate its melodies and concept into your own beat. when you make a melody that some silly finnish guy have also made a few years ago that's not jacking, that's a bad coincidence.

what i find funny is there is no mention of how timbaland got ahold of this production. quite frankly i think someone's out to make a few bucks or taint a few names. i doubt mr. timb tunes in to finnish radio.

Preach said:
this is a stupid thing really. with four billion people on this earth, and four decades of modern music history, you can probably make assumptions as to a total number of recorded songs throughout times. to be pessimistic, let's say ten million, although it's probably tenfold that. now out of all those musicians and all those songs, melodies are gonna recurr as will drum patterns and other things. sampling is when you intentionally listnen to a song and try to incorporate its melodies and concept into your own beat. when you make a melody that some silly finnish guy have also made a few years ago that's not jacking, that's a bad coincidence.

what i find funny is there is no mention of how timbaland got ahold of this production. quite frankly i think someone's out to make a few bucks or taint a few names. i doubt mr. timb tunes in to finnish radio.
i agree, there is so much music out there, you have no idea if the melody you're working on, or the beat or whatever, has been used by someone else before. the chances of this occurring are pretty high, so i think it's safe to say this is more than likely a coincidence.

on the flipside of that, however, i remember back in 2000 some jazz musician sued Dr. Dre, saying he stole the beat and melody to Kill You from one of his songs, and when i heard the clip of the Jazz guy's song, it sounded amazingly similar. i didn't think that was just coincidence. in this issue i haven't heard either song so i can't really judge.

SonOf2pac

^ i would normally agree with y'all but i heard that it was more than one beat... that's not a coincidence... i'm not sure if you fault timbo because i'm sure he has ghost producers underneath him but the responsibility definately falls into his hands

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.