Three 6 Mafia win Oscar

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Forget the suspense over best movie or actor or actress - the real question on Oscar night was whether Three 6 Mafia could actually perform a cuss-free, non-graphic version of "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp."

In one of the most exciting performances for a best song, usually characterized by bland performances of even blander songs, the Memphis rap group gave a rousing rendition of their song from Hustle & Flow, then took the Oscar home to boot.

They are probably the only Oscar winners to pick up their trophy wearing throwback jerseys, sneakers and diamond-studded teeth. Though they thanked all the same people Phillip Seymour Hoffman would - their mothers, family, etc. - their euphoric, giddy delivery made the moment even more surreal.

"I just couldn't believe it. I couldn't stand still," Jordan "Juicy J" Houston said backstage. "I had to run somewhere. I started to run somewhere. People thought the police was probably chasing me somewhere."

It wasn't exactly something you'd see on the Source Awards, with the "Fame"-like dancers and choreography. But the performance from the group best known for their raw street-life rhymes stayed true to the gritty essence of the song.

Hustle & Flow actress Taraji P. Henson, who sang the irresistible hook in the movie, also belted it out on Oscar night and while wearing a cocktail dress.

Still, despite toning down the lyrics, Three 6 Mafia was bleeped once during their performance because ABC censors thought they heard the f-word (a network spokeswoman said they couldn't be sure what was said). And they got another bleep during their giddy acceptance speech, for the same reason.

Hey, it's hard out there for pimp, if you didn't know.

Though Three 6 Mafia was the first African-American rap group to win the honor, they are not the first - Eminem was the groundbreaker for his trophy for "Lose Yourself" from 8 Mile.

But Eminem did not show up to accept his award. Three 6 Mafia did, emphatically.

"That's how you accept an Oscar," joked host John Stewart.

"For anyone keeping record," Stewart said later, "Martin Scorsese, zero Oscars. For Three 6 Mafia, one."

ArtsyGirl

I flicked over just in time to see the end of the song and it tripped me out hearin it at the OSCARS!! lol not exactly what you'd expect but it was cool, and I liked how John Stewart said after "why are they the most excited ones here?" lol it was great.

_carmi

me, myself & us
i saw that. that was awesome. the performance was nice. its really great for them to have an oscar like that. i'm very proud of them :) now i sound like a mom lol...

okkk

they really did a cuss-free song.......and the bleeps lol.....grats to all 36....exspecially Juicy J for all his hard work through good and rough times..........:thumb:

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.