This is my thread

Da_Funk

Lately I find my self saying the phrases "I figure; I imagine; I suppose". I think it's because Aussies so often say, "I reckon"; and it is a very awkward thing to say for a North American.

Casey

Staff member
I would say that people who have seen these atrocities, from my experience, have the best sense of humour. They make a joke of these things because it helps them to cope. The people let get all sensitive about these problems, and can't laugh at them, are usually those that have experienced these problems through a book.
You cannot be serious. That may be true in some scenarios but it is NOT true in the case of rape. I don't know a single rape victim or anyone who has dealt with rape victims that would "laugh about it because it helps them to cope." No fucking way.

I know multiple rape victims. My current girlfriend for a long time worked as a counsellor for rape victims and is still in touch with a few of the girls. I see the texts from them and I hear their stories. I'm not even just talking about girls who were raped once because they were drunk in a club. To some people, that might be what they think of when they hear the word "rape" and maybe that makes it less serious and easier for them to laugh about.

When I hear it, I think of these girls that have been sold into sexual slavery or grew up as members of strange cults - girls that have been systematically raped on a daily basis for years and years, starting at a very young age. Girls who have managed to escape but still live every day in fear.
The trauma that most rape victims have is horrendous. I'm talking full scale vivid flashbacks and having to re-live those things in their mind every day.

For these girls, the slightest thing - a certain smell, or a certain song being played, things so small that most people wouldn't even think about... can cause serious trigger issues for them and set off a flashback. Every day things.

With 1 in every 4 girls having been raped - it is not appropriate to directly reference it for the sake of cheap laughs. I respect the hell of Daniel Tosh for apologizing and the writers of his new show have said they've pulled out the rape jokes that were apparently going to be in it.

Nobody who has ever directly witness the trauma and sensitivity of actual rape victims would EVER think it's appropriate to make a joke about it. I would put money on that fact. It is an issue to be taken VERY seriously, particularly with the rise of sleaze/"lad" culture that encourages the objectification of women - which is a ideology that leads a direct path to rape.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
You cannot be serious. That may be true in some scenarios but it is NOT true in the case of rape. I don't know a single rape victim or anyone who has dealt with rape victims that would "laugh about it because it helps them to cope." No fucking way.

I know multiple rape victims. My current girlfriend for a long time worked as a counsellor for rape victims and is still in touch with a few of the girls. I see the texts from them and I hear their stories. I'm not even just talking about girls who were raped once because they were drunk in a club. To some people, that might be what they think of when they hear the word "rape" and maybe that makes it less serious and easier for them to laugh about.

When I hear it, I think of these girls that have been sold into sexual slavery or grew up as members of strange cults - girls that have been systematically raped on a daily basis for years and years, starting at a very young age. Girls who have managed to escape but still live every day in fear.
The trauma that most rape victims have is horrendous. I'm talking full scale vivid flashbacks and having to re-live those things in their mind every day.

For these girls, the slightest thing - a certain smell, or a certain song being played, things so small that most people wouldn't even think about... can cause serious trigger issues for them and set off a flashback. Every day things.

With 1 in every 4 girls having been raped - it is not appropriate to directly reference it for the sake of cheap laughs. I respect the hell of Daniel Tosh for apologizing and the writers of his new show have said they've pulled out the rape jokes that were apparently going to be in it.

Nobody who has ever directly witness the trauma and sensitivity of actual rape victims would EVER think it's appropriate to make a joke about it. I would put money on that fact. It is an issue to be taken VERY seriously, particularly with the rise of sleaze/"lad" culture that encourages the objectification of women - which is a ideology that leads a direct path to rape.
To be honest. You are ruining rape jokes for me.

Ristol

New York's Ambassador
All this talk about rape jokes makes me crazy. It's not complicated at all. Here it is, geniuses: rape isn't funny. Jokes are. Any joke about any subject can be funny, if it is a good joke. That's it.

Tosh was responding to a heckler. You're allowed to say whatever the fuck you want when someone shouts out and derails your show. No other performers have to deal with shit like that. I read a quote from some comedian today who said, in regards to the heckler/comedian relationship: "Fire at a cop, get ready to die."

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
All this talk about rape jokes makes me crazy. It's not complicated at all. Here it is, geniuses: rape isn't funny. Jokes are. Any joke about any subject can be funny, if it is a good joke. That's it.

Tosh was responding to a heckler. You're allowed to say whatever the fuck you want when someone shouts out and derails your show. No other performers have to deal with shit like that. I read a quote from some comedian today who said, in regards to the heckler/comedian relationship: "Fire at a cop, get ready to die."
you read a nyt article didn't ya pumpkin

I hooked up with a bimbo once. We started talking about sex and one of the first things she said was "My first time was rape"
Then I sucked on her massive tits and she gave me a blowjob. Great ice breaker. sigh

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.