This is my thread

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
yeah, i'm not sure any gay person would read that and be like "oh my, thanks, I'm glad that you're going to be a fan of me despite my shortcomings". What Coonie and ARon say is probably very insulting.

"Denzel Washington comes to mind as an actor who is black but I still love his work."

dilla

Trumpfan17 aka Coonie aka Dilla aka Tennis Dog
yeah, i'm not sure any gay person would read that and be like "oh my, thanks, I'm glad that you're going to be a fan of me despite my shortcomings". What Coonie and ARon say is probably very insulting.

"Denzel Washington comes to mind as an actor who is black but I still love his work."
I was illustrating the point that being homosexual does not affect my appreciation for their work. I can see where the wording can insinuate that I have homosexuals but still like their works, but instead I am trying to say that being homosexual or heterosexual will not detract from me liking your acting, singing, or whatever the hell else you do with your life.

I only draw the line at a homosexual sticking a cock in any of the copious amounts of holes in my body without my consent. Which I will most likely deny their request to.

dilla

I don't think you've read all my posts in their entirety in this thread, or you're not getting something from it.

I'm not going to explain further and I'll let you nitpick details and blow them up into bigger issues.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Maybe it's because of where I live. But I don't see any struggle for gay rights and acceptance. If this happened 20 years ago, I'd accept that. But not in 2012. If he was an Iman, I'd say fair play. But he is in the music industry where a huge amount of people are homosexual. He sings for a living. "Urban music" or not. As I hate calling music that.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
I was illustrating the point that being homosexual does not affect my appreciation for their work.
This is the point we're making. When you say that an artist being homosexual won't affect your appreciation for their work, you're saying that being homosexual is something inferior, something less. Do you realize that?

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
I don't like R&B. In it's modern form. I'm not talking Motown etc. So I will not be buying his album, or stealing it. I also don't believe Frank Ocean is gay.

dilla

This is the point we're making. When you say that an artist being homosexual won't affect your appreciation for their work, you're saying that being homosexual is something inferior, something less. Do you realize that?
Right, but do you also realize I said, after that post, that I could have worded the original post a little bit better to not indicate that I see homosexuals as better nor worse than heteros and simply the same? What you're quoting originally was my response to my sister's texts which was dealing the fact that younger adults have the potential to stop liking something because of what their peers think. I know many people that would stop liking something because that thing was by someone or was someone that had views that they didn't agree with. Whether it be sexual orientation, religion, political stance, etc. So when my sister said that it didn't affect her, I said, "Good, because it doesn't affect me either. There are plenty of actors that are gay and I still like their work." Because someone being gay doesn't change my views on them.

Got it?

EDouble

Will suck off black men for a dime
I think situation is in a person identifying people who w/ good intentions or without, have problems with the dynamic, and this person then identifying themselves as not necessarily holding that opinion

basically - some one could say "even though they are..." and also reiterate "whether they are ( ) or ( )..."
or even the difference between a "Some of my best friends are Jewish..." and "my best friend is Jewish."

Casey

Staff member
Maybe it's because of where I live.
Probably.

But I don't see any struggle for gay rights and acceptance.
You are kidding, right?

But he is in the music industry where a huge amount of people are homosexual.
Most of them are in the closet. ESPECIALLY in the black music world. Read my last epic post again. Everything I said in it is true.

Alternatively, name me ONE other young, contemporary, major label, commercially relevant, homosexual african-american R&B singer/rapper.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Alternatively, name me ONE other young, contemporary, major label, commercially relevant, homosexual african-american R&B singer/rapper.
Do you want to make the circle even smaller. How about chucking Left handed in as well.....

Also... Why are we pigeon holing him as an "R&B singer / rapper". What is the difference between him and any other singer? Because he sings a few hooks on rap songs, and associates with rappers? Does that make Chris Martin a hip-hop artist too? I don't like the way music is pushed into genres, and any black man who works with a rapper is known as a "hip-hop artist". See Chris Brown (from way before he rapped.) Or Nate Dogg.

I really don't think Frank Ocean is being brave. I may be a cynic. But I think this is a calculated marketing move to get him a large amount of press. I also don't think he has really come out. He has talked about a man crush. No more.

Jokerman

Because someone being gay doesn't change my views on them.
Why not? Someone being gay changes my views on them. Just like someone being vegetarian or religious or atheist, black or white, male or female, or almost anything changes my views on them in some way. What you should say is that it doesn't change your views on them for the negative.

dilla

Why not? Someone being gay changes my views on them. Just like someone being vegetarian or religious or atheist, black or white, male or female, or almost anything changes my views on them in some way. What you should say is that it doesn't change your views on them for the negative.
There are many different scenarios:

A:"Do you know NPH?"
B: "No."
A: "Oh. He's gay and is adopting a son with his partner."
B: "Cool."
B: *watches NPH TV show or movie* "Hmmm, I like this guy."

No views "change" on NPH for B.

"Do you know NPH?"
"Yeah! I love in HIMYM and Harold and Kumar. I haven't seen Doogie Howser, though."
"Oh, it's a great show. I just read he was gay and just adopted a boy with his partner."
"Fuck that fucking faggot! I'm not watching HIMYM anymore! Not even gonna give Doogie Howser a shot either. Time to find a new actor to like to take his gay-ass spot."

Views changed.

In an alternate universe, the previous scenario could have also ended with "Oh, that's great for him and his partner. I'll give Doogie a shot too (completely unrelated to NPH being gay or straight)."

Whenever I meet a vegan, the few that I've met, I immediately think of (no offense) Casey's posts on here and how I feel it's propaganda to get us to switch too. So I approach them with the mindset that I could very well be talking to another Casey, just in real life. I have to slowly gauge how "eager" this vegan is to impose his views on me. Will he merely inform me of the benefits, or will he attack my personal eating habits and marinade me in news articles? There's a difference. But this would be stereotyping, right?

Similarly, some black friends can take a black joke, no matter how bad it is (and I've gone the whole nine yards after slowly testing the waters). Then there are some others that get offended very easily. But "testing the waters" draws something from stereotypes, right? And isn't stereotyping bad? Then why wouldn't you approach every person as a blank slate, no matter how much of their views the divulge? A lesbian Muslim transgendered woman that votes Republican? Can you honestly talk to that person without drawing upon stereotypes of lesbians, Muslims, and Republicans?

Ristol

New York's Ambassador
There are many different scenarios:

A:"Do you know NPH?"
B: "No."
A: "Oh. He's gay and is adopting a son with his partner."
B: "Cool."
B: *watches NPH TV show or movie* "Hmmm, I like this guy."

No views "change" on NPH for B.

"Do you know NPH?"
"Yeah! I love in HIMYM and Harold and Kumar. I haven't seen Doogie Howser, though."
"Oh, it's a great show. I just read he was gay and just adopted a boy with his partner."
"Fuck that fucking faggot! I'm not watching HIMYM anymore! Not even gonna give Doogie Howser a shot either. Time to find a new actor to like to take his gay-ass spot."

Views changed.

In an alternate universe, the previous scenario could have also ended with "Oh, that's great for him and his partner. I'll give Doogie a shot too (completely unrelated to NPH being gay or straight)."

Whenever I meet a vegan, the few that I've met, I immediately think of (no offense) Casey's posts on here and how I feel it's propaganda to get us to switch too. So I approach them with the mindset that I could very well be talking to another Casey, just in real life. I have to slowly gauge how "eager" this vegan is to impose his views on me. Will he merely inform me of the benefits, or will he attack my personal eating habits and marinade me in news articles? There's a difference. But this would be stereotyping, right?

Similarly, some black friends can take a black joke, no matter how bad it is (and I've gone the whole nine yards after slowly testing the waters). Then there are some others that get offended very easily. But "testing the waters" draws something from stereotypes, right? And isn't stereotyping bad? Then why wouldn't you approach every person as a blank slate, no matter how much of their views the divulge? A lesbian Muslim transgendered woman that votes Republican? Can you honestly talk to that person without drawing upon stereotypes of lesbians, Muslims, and Republicans?
The Coonie doth protest too much, methinks.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
I come in from the pub hammered. Add some bird on facebook who I have been chatting to all night. Bored, I log onto streethop. No new threads. Why would you forsake me like that?

Casey

Staff member
Do you want to make the circle even smaller. How about chucking Left handed in as well.....

Also... Why are we pigeon holing him as an "R&B singer / rapper". What is the difference between him and any other singer? Because he sings a few hooks on rap songs, and associates with rappers? Does that make Chris Martin a hip-hop artist too? I don't like the way music is pushed into genres, and any black man who works with a rapper is known as a "hip-hop artist". See Chris Brown (from way before he rapped.) Or Nate Dogg.

I really don't think Frank Ocean is being brave. I may be a cynic. But I think this is a calculated marketing move to get him a large amount of press. I also don't think he has really come out. He has talked about a man crush. No more.
I've already explained this. Because it makes his main audience the black audience. The black audience in the US is largely religious and with conservative values (read : homophobic).

He talked about falling in love with a man and wanting to be in a relationship with him. That's more than a mancrush.

Also, you only need to look at Twitter to see the backlash. He IS losing fans. The ones from the religious, homophobic, conservative fanbase that he has appealed to. Yes, all those people are cunts and need to grow up, but they still exist.

If this is a calculated marketing move you'd have to be SURE that the amount of fans he GAINS from this are significantly more than the ones he loses. That's a dangerous bet to take. Still, you could take the position that all PR is good PR and that's true in a lot of ways. The fact that we're still talking about this is a good example. However.....It would make him, his management and team EXTREMELY disingenous, and in my honest opinion I don't think that's the case, especially being as I've met his manager Chris Clancy as well as many of his Odd Future associates.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Staff online

Members online