The Trial Of Jay Z

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/features/id.395

The Trial Of Jay-Z
Monday - March 28, 2005
Albert McCluster III
A HHDX Exclusive Report By Brian Sims

First the Fat Boys break up/Now ery’ day I wake up/Somebody got a problem with Hov…-Jay-Z

If you’ve heard it, you’re probably in one or two camps when it comes to all things Jay-Z…you either love it and feel a bit of vindication or hate it as just another attempt to soil the rep of the man who is the self-proclaimed king of New York rap.

But, this time their may be a challenge to the legitimacy of the throne. In the age of plagiarism by the Jayson Blairs of the world and the ever-present accusations in Hip Hop regarding shady A&R’s, labels, artists and producers “jackin’” beats, tracks and concepts from up and comers AND accusations of outright theft see HHDX’s exclusive, Who Wrote Lean Back?

So, gentle readers I present for your examination, analysis and judgment;

IS JAY-Z A WRITER OR A BITER? Audio Link

If you’re listening to the mix as you read this…then you know ya boy Hov’ is at the center of a brewing controversy concerning (of all things) the originality of his lyrics. The now notorious “Writer Or Biter fire was apparently sparked by a mysterious mix which features Jay-Z backing up some rap classics with Roc-versions of his own.

The mix has generated a considerable buzz…L.A.’s Power 106 FM ran an exhaustive list of the allegedly bitten lyrics on their website, and also solicited on-air feedback from listeners. The track has been getting crazy airtime in several major markets, including Chicago, Atlanta, and Miami.

I took it to the streets to see what’s good with public opinion. One major on-air radio personality in Detroit took issue with the sheer number of verses that Jay used for his own personal benefit. “This type of thing happens all the time… rappers are always recycling rhymes, beats, styles, etc…I was just surprised at how much of (Jay-Z’s) classic shit ain’t really his classic shit. You know?”

Biting is the Hip-Hop version of plagiarism. According to Webster, to plagiarize: is to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own: to use (another's production) without crediting the source.

By this definition, Jay-Z is a biter. UNLESS you consider the fact that mainstream commercialization of Hip-Hop music has made it difficult to “steal” anything anymore. And it certainly could be argued that Jay-Z fails to credit the sources of select rhymes, but then again he’s not the first (or the last) MC to tailor others’ rhymes for his own purposes.

What’s at issue here is not Jay-Z’s credibility as an artist, but his flagrant use of other artists’ material as tributes to rap Greats whom he obviously has a great deal of respect and admiration for.

Still, hearing the mix does plant a seed of wonder. Could Jay-Z have really been trying to “pull one over” on Hip-Hop fans? Industry insiders say the answer is yes.

Billy Ray Valentine, an underground artist/producer pointed to the limited knowledge of rap history that fans tend to display. “Kids don’t know rap songs from the early 90’s…and the 80’s are ancient history. If it ain’t on the radio, they don’t even know it.”

True Jay-Z fans see cause for reasonable doubt. “Jay ain’t tryin to fool anybody…” says Pimp Mike, a promoter in Chicago. “We’re talking about one of the realest guys out there. Just because he quotes Biggie or Tupac doesn’t make him a biter. When you listen to (Jay-Z) spit, you can tell that he’s giving props to those dudes. His stuff speaks for itself.”

Indeed it may. With over 17 million records sold, Jay-Z is one of the most prolific rap artists ever. The debate is sure to rage on, but before you call Jay-Z a biter; consider this: for better or worse his original style has helped influence a new generation of young artists to change clothes, brush their shoulders off, and hustle their own way into Hip-Hop history.

Jay Z Biter or Writer Lyrics

Biggie - "Hypnotize"
"That's why I, squeeze first ask quesions last. That's how most of these so called gangstas pass"
Jigga - "Squeeze 1st"
"That's why I, squeeze first ask quesions last. That's how most of these so called gangstas pass"

Biggie - "The World Is Filled"
"When the Remi's in the system, ain't no tellin will I f*&$ em will I diss em, that's what these h*& yellin I'm a pimp by blood, not relation Y'all still chase on, I'll replace on, punks Drunk of Dom"
Jay-Z - "Give It 2 Me"
"When the Remi's in the system, ain't no tellin Will I f^%$# 'em will I diss 'em, that's what they be yellin I'm a pimp by blood, not relation Y'all be chasin, I replace them, huh?
Drunk off Crist"

Biggie - "Who Shot Ya"
Thou shalt not f%$# with or see Poppa feel a thosand deaths...
Jay-Z - "Squeeze 1st"
Thou shalt not f%$# with raw me, or he face a thousand deaths...

Biggie - "Unbelievable"
"Get ready to die, tell God I said hi And throw down some ice, for the nicest MC"
Jay-Z - "Friend or Foe 98"
"Do me a favor dude, get 2 ice cubes I pass them take that ice up, for the nicest MC"

Biggie - "Kick in The Door"
"Your reign on top was short than leprechauns"
Jay-Z - "The Ruler's Back"
"Your reign on the top was shorter than leprechauns"

Biggie - "One More Chance"
"isn't this great, my flight leaves at eight her flight lands at nine, my game just rewinds"
Jay-Z - "Girls...Remix"
"isn't this great, my flight leaves at eight her flight lands at nine, my game just rewinds"

Biggie - "Real N&^%s Do Real Things"
"On the road to riches and diamond rings real n&^%s do real things"
Jay-Z - "Real N&^%s"
"On the road to riches and diamond rings real n^%$ do real things"

Biggie - "Who Shot Ya"
"Old school new school need to learn though I burn baby burn like Disco Inferno"
Jay-Z - "Frestyle"
"Old school, new school need to know this I burn like Left Eye Lisa Lopez"

Biggie - "One More Chance"
"I don't chase em I replace em"
Jay - "Is That Yo B!tch"
"I don't chase em I duck em I replace em"

Big L - (on the 7 minute 95' freestyle with Jigga)
"All I got for chicks is hard d%$# and bubble gum"
Jay-z - "A Million and One Questions"

Snoop Dogg - "What's My Name?"
"From the depths of the sea, back to the block Snoop Doggy Dogg, funky as the, the, The D.O.C went solo on that azz, but it´s still the same Long Beach is the spot where I served my cane ....What's my f%$# name" "He is I, and I am him, slim with the tilted brim"
Jigga - "Jigga my n!gga"
"From the crap tables down in A.C. back on the block Jay-Z motherf%$# from the, the, the Roc went solo on that azz but it´s still the same Brooklyn be the place where I serve them thangs ....You heard the name" "He is I, and I am him Slim with the tilted brim on twenty inch rims"

Nas - "Verbal Intercourse"
"From the womb to the tomb, presume the unpredictable Guns salute life, rapidly, that's the ritual"
Jay - "Never change"
"From the womb to the tomb, from now until my doom drink army from one cup pass it around the room, That's the ritual"

2pac - "My Ambitionz Az a Rydah"
"My attitude is f%$ it, and mothafukkas love it"
Jay-z "Blueprint 2"
"My attitude is ff%$ it, and mothaff%$ love it"

2pac - "Against All Odds"
"This is payback, i knew you bf%$ nf%$ from way back"
Jay-z - "Blueprint 2"
"This is payback, i knew you bf%$ nf%$ from way back"

Mase - "Lookin' at me"
"Why you over here looking at me, while my girl standing here"
Jay-z - ???
“Yall Look it Up" "Why you over here lookin at me, while all these girls up in here"

Biggie - "Big Poppa"
"I see some ladies tonight that should be having my baby.. baby."
Jay-Z - ???
"I see some ladies tonight that should be rollin wit Jay-Z, Jay-Z"

Biggie - "Be Happy" (R.Kelly ft. Biggie)
"Think About It While The Streets You Roam It's Don P And Cristie In The Fridge When You Get Home"
Jay-Z - "Best Of Both Worlds" (Jay-Z & R.Kelly)
"Think About It While The Streets You Roam It's Don P And Army In The Fridge When You Get Home"

Snoop Dogg - "Aint no Fun"
"Guess who's back in the mothaf%$# house with a fat d%$# for ya mothaff%$# mouth"
Jigga - "Ff%$# All Nite"
"Guess who's back in my motherf%$# house half black, half white chick, I call her Minnie Mouse"

Slick Rick - ???
"In these times, at least to me, there's alot of rappers out there tryin to sound like Ricky D"
Jay-Z - ???
"In these times, at least to me, there's a lot of rappers out there tryin to sound like Jay -Z"

Rakim - "No Competition"
"Competition is none, I remain at the top like the sun"
Jay-Z - "S. Carter"
"Competition is none, I remain at the op like the sun"

Cappadona - "Slang Editorial"
"I came to the fork in the road and went straight"
Jay-Z - "Renegades"
"I drove by the fork in the road and went straight"

Nas
"Seude timbs on my feet makes my cypher complete"
Jay-Z
"S.dots on my feet makes my cypher complete"

Lil Wayne
"Number one rapper, sipping mo mo's, dont make me come press ya with this fo fo"
Jay-Z
"Number one rapper, sipping mo mo's, dont make me come press ya with this fo fo"

2pac - "Against All Oddz"
Payback, I knew U b%$# n%$# from way back. witnessed me strapped with Macs, knew I wouldn't play that,"
Jigga - "Some People Hate"
N %$# This the Payback, I know U b%$# n%$# from way back. n%$# wanna clown but the pound it don't play that,"

Dr. Dre - "Chronic 2001 LP"
"You get zipped up in plastic when it happens that's it"
Jay-Z - "Takeover"
"Get zipped up in plastic when it happens that's it

2pacnbiggie Biggie - "Who Shot Ya" "Old school new school need to learn though I burn baby burn like Disco Inferno" Jay-Z - "Frestyle" "Old school said:
Biggie also copied that line from Doug-E-Fresh:Old school new school no school rules...

Tito

2pacnbiggie said:
Big L - (on the 7 minute 95' freestyle with Jigga)
Jay-z - "A Million and One Questions"
Ice Cube said that way before Big L.

2pacnbiggie said:
Dr. Dre - "Chronic 2001 LP"
"You get zipped up in plastic when it happens that's it"
Jay-Z - "Takeover"
"Get zipped up in plastic when it happens that's it
Didnt Jay-Z write that for Dre. OH MY GOD. Jay is biting himself now. :eek:

Wow. You just changed my mind. I now hate Jay-Z. I now have new respect for every fan that he stole a line from.
"Fuck Jay-Z"~2pac.

Is that what you wanted to hear? Now please tell us what everyone on this board wants to hear. You will shut the fuck up about Jay-Z biting. Us Jay-Z fans understands that he bites. You Jay-Z haters understand that he bites. Jay-Z admits that he bites. Who are you trying to inform with your countless number of posts about the same damn topic? You are not changing anyones mind. You are not reporting new news. You are not telling anyone anything that they don't already know.

This is like Stone Phillips running into the NBC offices yelling "I got an exclusive story...I got an exclusive story...PUTTING A PENIS INTO A VAGINA IS WHAT MAKES BABIES!!!!!"

Tito said:
Ice Cube said that way before Big L.

Didnt Jay-Z write that for Dre. OH MY GOD. Jay is biting himself now. :eek:
lol @ u gettin mad cuz jay got exposed

and actually prince said the hard dickand bubble gum line way before cube and big L. Its a old saying.

Still doesnt change the other thousands of rhymes hes bitten..smh

shit is disgusting...

Hostile Apostle said:
Wow. You just changed my mind. I now hate Jay-Z. I now have new respect for every fan that he stole a line from.
"Fuck Jay-Z"~2pac.

Is that what you wanted to hear? Now please tell us what everyone on this board wants to hear. You will shut the fuck up about Jay-Z biting. Us Jay-Z fans understands that he bites. You Jay-Z haters understands that he bites. Jay-Z admits that he bites. Who are you trying to inform with your countless number of posts about the same damn topic? You are not changing anyones mind. You are not reporting new news. You are not telling anyone that they already know.

This is like Stone Phillips running into the NBC offices yelling "I got an exclusive story...I got an exclusive story...PUTTING A PENIS INTO A VAGINA IS WHAT MAKES BABIES!!!!!"
lol actually i didnt write any of this, the article takes an unbiased look at this debate... i thought it was an interesting read... i dont see why you're gettin mad like im sayin hes a biter...all i did was post the editorial about the subject...so again...why are u mad?

btw: puttin a penis into a vagina isnt wat makes babies... :D

2pacnbiggie said:
lol@ u continuing to post shit about Jay-Z and thinking that it's going to change peoples mind.

2pacnbiggie said:
shit is disgusting
Your obsession is disgusting.

The fact that he released 10 albums (one being a double LP) in 7 years is disgusting....not to mention that hundreds of guest appearances and freestyles he's put out.

The fact that 2 of those LPs had 1 guest appearance combined is disgusting.

The fact that he has been annoited by everyone from Dre to Em to B.I.G. to C-Bo to the critics, and yet he still gets hated on by the fans.

But whatever man, keep hating.

2pacnbiggie said:
lol actually i didnt write any of this, the article takes an unbiased look at this debate... i thought it was an interesting read... i dont see why you're gettin mad like im sayin hes a biter...all i did was post the editorial about the subject...so again...why are u mad?

btw: puttin a penis into a vagina isnt wat makes babies... :D
I'm not mad, I'm annoyed that every time I come here you have a new post about Jay-Z biting. Grow up and find a new topic to complain about.

Hostile Apostle said:
I'm not mad, I'm annoyed that every time I come here you have a new post about Jay-Z biting. Grow up and find a new topic to complain about.
How bout u stop complaining about people complaining about Jay-Z biting:)

2pacnbiggie said:

and actually prince said the hard dickand bubble gum line way before cube and big L. Its a old saying.

Still doesnt change the other thousands of rhymes hes bitten..smh

shit is disgusting...
Jay was exposed as what? You have to be an idiot not to know that he borrows lines from other rappers. Thats not what makes him dope though. Reasonable Doubt, "You Must Love Me," "Meet The Parent," "Streets Iz Watching"

I can go on and on.

Diaz said:
How bout u stop complaining about people complaining about Jay-Z biting:)
Alright man. Will do. I just hoped that I could help a young man grow up a little bit today. If you go back to 2pacnbiggie's posts you'll notice that he starts a thread every other week (either here or at allhiphop.com) about the same topic and it gets annoying because he's not changing anyones mind. I was just hoping that I could open the mans eyes that his efforts are falling on def ears.

Hostile Apostle said:
lol i havent made a thread about jay z biting since like 2 or 3 months ago. I've made plenty of other threads about lots of things nobody else cried about those

Tito said:
Jay was exposed as what? You have to be an idiot not to know that he borrows lines from other rappers. Thats not what makes him dope though. Reasonable Doubt, "You Must Love Me," "Meet The Parent," "Streets Iz Watching"

I can go on and on.
The point is everybody isnt a hip hop head and everybody isnt gonna be listenin to rappers like cappadonna or bun b or other rappers like that to know where these lines are actually coming from since 98 percent of the time he doesnt mention the rapper or the song that he gets it from

2pacnbiggie said:
lol i havent made a thread about jay z biting since like 2 or 3 months ago.

Really? I didn't join allhiphop.com until like 2 months ago and that's when I saw people hating on you for the Jay-Z shit, then I saw it over here.

By the way, I went back in my posts cause I knew that it was shorter than 2-3 monts ago, and found this one from 3 weeks ago. Nice work.
http://www.2pacboard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129165

Hostile Apostle said:
Really? I didn't join allhiphop.com until like 2 months ago and that's when I saw people hating on you for the Jay-Z shit, then I saw it over here.

By the way, I went back in my posts cause I knew that it was shorter than 2-3 monts ago, and found this one from 3 weeks ago. Nice work.
http://www.2pacboard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129165
4 weeks...almost a month...miscalculation...big deal. This thread is a article it doesnt have any of my opinions on this in the first post

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.