The Thug or Rapper In You?

I'me sure you've noticed the spike lee comments on street hop news. if not peep the street hop news section. with this being a more generalized topic, i'm hoping for my replies than my regilious thread (ya bunch o'pussies).

and question stems from that. what is it about hip hop in recent years that's just disappointed you? not that "so and so artist had a garbage album", but that "hey, lemme listen to rock and roll for a change" type shit. Or that, "lemme hear Leaders Of The New School, Public Enemy" type shit.

we all complain about what's wrong bout artist and the industry, but what's your opinion of what's wrong with hip hop nowadays? and what could be done to fix it?

FroDawgg

it's just gotten so monotonous as of late (well, over the past half-decade or so, maybe more). most of the mainstream cats say the same empty things, and for some reason, i can't get into the intellectual underground stuff (although i would like to). with the exception of a few producers' stuff, most of the beats are bland and boring.

i've always been into different types of music along with rap, but i think recently moreso. over the past week, i've been on a GNR kick, listening to their greatest hits basically nonstop. i ALWAYS listen to the oldies station on the radio. even though those songs are 30 and 40 years old, they still have passion and are fresh and exciting to listen to.

jbrolax

well south is on top right now, and well i dont like southern hip hop, no hate, i just dont like it

Edit: im suprised no one has said anyting about the irrelavance in my post. i have no idea what i was talking about and dont even remeber posting....:eek:

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
The Spike Lee comments were stupid though.

Complaining that Irv Gotti took the gangsters surname, about 50 Cent dressing his kid up in a bulletproof vest. It's entertainment.

That's the trouble with hip-hop, people don't realise it's music, and that music is entertainment. Hip-hop is about being real and asks that everything is taken literally. That's the trouble.

Or maybe that's the beauty of it and why we all love it.

Anyways... I don't think there's anything wrong with the quality of the music out there. I find at least 1 amazing new album a month. And if you look at the quality coming out in March, 3 wicked albums!!!

Just because you may not hear it on the radio, doesn't mean it isn't there.

The succesful formula, the music that makes the money, is the music that appeals to your average fan, not your hip-hop head. Don't complain, broaden your horizons. Because trust me, it's there.

hizzle?

Staff member
meh, I havent listened to rap music since the beggining of 2005... I got tired of this bling bling things and started to listen to Old Rock like Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Led Zep, The Who, etc...

Rap used to have some interesting lyrics that you read while you were listening to the song... These days, I can only do that with Talib and Mos Def... other than that, all I hear is "What!?!" "Bitch" "Fuck fuck" and those cheezy "Bitch-Shit" Snoop Dogg rhymes...

I'm sorry, but rap fell off big time... Just like Punk did back in 1998...
Rap and punk used to have the same purpose, talk about society and have deep meanings in their songs, now it just sucks

I honestly think that 90% of the hiphop albums that come out are complete garbage.. I think the last 5 cds i actually bought at the store were cd's that I used to have that I lost/got stolen etc. One thing about the current state of hiphop is that its a all new generation now.. you got kids that are 13-14 that think Lil Wayne is the greatest lyricist ever, hands down... And they maybe heard 1 or 2 Pac and Biggie songs and they think that they're just "iight"... I cant understand it, but I dont think none of us who were brought up on Pac, Big, Pun, etc. will ever know... Kinda like how ten years ago, I couldnt understand how my boys older brothers were all into Eric B. and Rakim, MC Lyte, etc... I just couldnt get into it cuz basically it really wasnt from my time period.. Im sure theirs other cats ages in their 20's that feel the same way.. Guess we're getting old.. :confused:

hizzle?

Staff member
Fataldawg said:
I honestly think that 90% of the hiphop albums that come out are complete garbage.. I think the last 5 cds i actually bought at the store were cd's that I used to have that I lost/got stolen etc. One thing about the current state of hiphop is that its a all new generation now.. you got kids that are 13-14 that think Lil Wayne is the greatest lyricist ever, hands down... And they maybe heard 1 or 2 Pac and Biggie songs and they think that they're just "iight"... I cant understand it, but I dont think none of us who were brought up on Pac, Big, Pun, etc. will ever know... Kinda like how ten years ago, I couldnt understand how my boys older brothers were all into Eric B. and Rakim, MC Lyte, etc... I just couldnt get into it cuz basically it really wasnt from my time period.. Im sure theirs other cats ages in their 20's that feel the same way.. Guess we're getting old.. :confused:
The rappers you like based their songs on lyrics first... every song the rappers in the 1990's (excluding 1999) wrote were lyrically great... You probably didn't like Eric B. because of their beats and such...

These days, every song has to have a catchy beat so it can be radio friendly... Rap never used to be extremly popular so the rappers did not care about radio friendly songs (when i say radio friendly, it's the popular radio/tv stations) until it became popular to the media kids...

masta247

Staff member
hip-hop lost its power. I boutght sooo many albums n i just don't see that energy as i saw in albums from 90s. All i see now is "bling bling" shit. Everybody talkin bout how many cars, bitches, cash they got. It's fucked up. Plus hip-hop culture started to collaps :/ even few years ago ppl listening to hh were brothaz n now nobody gives a shit. Ppl can laugh at you coz you were baggy pants even if they listen to hip-hop too n are from that culture. Oh n there are much too many beefs in hip-hop :(

Fuckin Wannabe smart ass punk! I love the underdog but you under the underdog punk!!! Wannabe know it all talk smart intellectual try to talk down to me i'll jack yo' ass with a 37 crowbar screwdriver to the ear don't fuckin get ahead of your fuckin self type of shit stretch!!!!

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.