the secrets to negotiating a good record contract !! read if ur an upcoming mc/artist

The Musician's Guide to Understanding and Avoiding Sneaky Lawyer Tricks
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=books&n=507846

and

Legal Aspects of the Music Industry
An Insider's View of the Legal and Practical Aspects of the Music Business
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=books&n=507846

Those books should become your Bible and Qu'ran if you are an emcee looking to forge her or his way into the industry.

Here's an excerpt from each book...

SNRC:

"A final point is to ask for something called 'pipeline income.' This refers to money that is in the pipeline of sales, but has not yet matured into a real payment due to a variety of factors: confirmed sales that are overseas that have not reached the U.S., income from licensing your record to TV and Motion Pictures or Commercials but the money hasn't been collected yet. Stuff like that. This is income that SHOULD be counted at the time they are figuring your next Advance. [***]If you don't ask for it, you won't get it. And I've rarely seen a label make this part of the initial offer.[***]...Double-Dips are laid in everywhere in major label contracts like landmines. It's your lawyer's job to sweep the perimeter, find and defuse them. But to know whether or not he's doing his job, you should know where the most common ones are. If I've made you a bit paranoid, if I've made you want to question the essence of every comma, dash and word in your contract, then I've done my job."

LAMI:
"Dealing with record companies is like being nibbled to death by ducks. -Woody Herman

The Recoupment of Advances
Advances are prepayments of prospective royalties. Advances are usually nonreturnable, but recoupable. That is, without an express agreement to the contrary between the parties (and barring fraud of some sort), an artist cannot be made to pay back an advance that has been made as a prepayment of royalties; the company can only recover (recoup) the advance monies from future earnings, in this case royalties...

Table of contents from chapter 1
The Anatomy of A Record Company
A&R
Business Affairs and Legal
Sales, Merchandising, and Distribution
Art and Editorial
Promotion
Publicity
Artist Relations
Licensing, Accounting, and Royalties
Special Products and Merchandising
International
Publishing"

Within the next month, Im going to become an expert on the music industry.
Like the indy label Thump Records told me 3 years ago when I went in for a demo listening session and to pursue a deal, "Your writing is excellent. You have the commercial and underground appeal, but what type of deal do you want?" I couldn't answer back. I was told to go study the industry and come back when I was ready. He said, "As an artist, you are ready, but globally, you are not." Im here to change the game for myself and others.

If you have any further questions or concerns that you feel I can answer from these two books, post them and I will essay my hardest to answer you back summarily.

source : http://www.sohh.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567673

good read yall.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.