The Roots already recording for follow up to Game Theory

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Just six months after the release of their long-awaited, and critically acclaimed, album Game Theory, the Roots are already planning the direction of a follow-up disc to be released either in October 2007 or February 2008.

"We are using a lot of synthesizers, but I don't know if I could call this the electronic album or not," the group’s drummer Ahmir '?uestlove’ Thompson said. "Pretty much five or six songs are done, and four of them are synth-heavy."

The Roots have also recorded an original song, "I Will Not Apologize," based on an old track from Afrobeat pioneer Fela Kuti.

"I know somehow I'm going to find the common thread of all this stuff," Thompson offers. "I don't know what to call it, but it's something.

In related news, ?uestlove is currently in the studio recording with Al Green for his upcoming album for Blue Note Records. The unlikely pairing came about after Thompson "ran my big mouth" and told [Blue Note senior director of A&R] Eli [Wolf], "'Yo, man. You want a real Al Green record? Come see me.' So now I've got to live up to that."

ARon

Sounds tight. So Roots and Nas are planning to drop again, Common too. I wish people kept this pace throughout careers.

that pace is not always a good thing. I'd much rather see an artist take time with an album and release the best quality product he/she can instead of them rushing it to move units.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.